Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a stealth S31 and it work very well in rocky rivers in AZ.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the 720i - Good Luck!

fox

Greenie
Aug 19, 2011
Williamsburg VA
Detector(s) used
V3I
Garrett At Pro
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the classic scoop by stealth and i love it :)

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KP: Wide scoops work best with DD 10" or wider diameter search coils (Wide Field)
The DeGhetto T_Rex (9" W, 12" D, 6"H) stand up water scoop is ideal for this purpose especially on sand bottoms.
It catches the small stuff with it's 1/4" rectangular grid pattern.

If you need to dig near rocks, or shell, and need a stand up water scoop that drains fast the Sunspot Stealth 720 is ideal.
It lets you dig deep fast (15" L, 7 " depth, 6" H). Be aware that the small stuff such as ear ring studs fall through the 1/2 inch holes.

The small stuff falling through is not a big deal as you can get around this, when needed, by tying rain gutter screen inside, using a floatable sieve with smaller holes, walking back to shore and dumping bucket and spread out till you isolate it.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any scopes that are cheaper that you guys would recommend?
that one diamond stud that does not fall through sure helps pay for a Quality scoop, with water detecting your scoop should be a top priority or plan on buying a cheap scoop each or every other season

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any scopes that are cheaper that you guys would recommend?
Meade sell scopes ,but Stealth sell scoop which one do you want , a scopes or a scoop HAHA I had to do this.

bottombill

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also in the market for a nice beach scoop, Thanks for posting the stealth here. Any ideal of the cost? The site wants me to email or call for price.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi im looking to get ascoop for surf and beach detecting. My beaches are very rocky as our a lot the rivers.

Beach scoops are pricey and i o ly want to drop a few hindred one time. Can anyone recommend a scoop. Leaning twoards a stealth scoop. I detect with a at pro.

Hey man after a lot of askin n searchin n readin I listened to Sandman and others and went with the Stealth 720i. Have not received it yet but I can't wait to try it. I, like you, will be hunting the same type lakes and streams with rocky/gravely bottoms and hard beaches.....get one and enjoy, I know I will

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Krusty: As I am not able to get hold of or try out metal detecting equipment before purchase, I model their expected performance as best as I can from the manufacturers specifications. I decided on an open basket stainless steel basket with 1/2" holes for rapid drainage with V ish tip for easy penetration and being able to works close to rocks. This was based on manufacturers recommendation(s) and backed up by satisfied user reviews.

What I needed to determine was the weight of a full scoop of wet sand ( heaviest loading ) as my concern was having sufficient strength to rapidly lift and dump five to seven scoops of wet sand to retrieve deep targets which were close to each other (worst case condition). My estimate based on scoop volume will be heavier as it does not account for the V ish tip giving me a margin of error the weight of wet sand.
Sunspot Stealth 720i (L15"x W7" x H6") = 630" cubic inch x 1.111ozper cubic in = 43.75 lbs
Sunspot Classic S8 (L12"x W8" x H5") = 480 " cubic inch x 1.111ozper cubic in = 33.33 lbs
Sunspot Classic 6.5 (L11"x W6.5" x H5") = 357.5" cubic inch x 1.111ozper cubic in = 24.82 lbs

The above weights would be easy to lift if they were not attached to the end of a 48 to 54 inch shaft and you have to add approx 5.5 to 7.5 lbs carrying weight . It is best to have a sling on your metal detector so that you can lift two handed as lifting one handed is hard on the joints and the pinkie(bruised/crushed).

Last edited:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if u are kinda young, strong as a bull - look at all the steath models.
if on the other hand, u are say over 50 and not hercules - look at all the stavrscoops.
both of the above made fine S/S scoops.
you want a round scoop in either Alum. or S/S take a look at bill babb's - Sandman Tres. and RTG-reily's....round not the best for rocky zones.
fyi - my opinion only

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i forgot one great scoop - S/S kinda the new kid on the block - T-Rex.
has smaller square holes - made from very thick S/S - good for rocks.
3 basic models......9.5" wide - 2 - 8" wide models - different top lenghts.....3.5" and 5"

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get the Stealthscoop Classic. The digging conditions here in Okinawa are very rocky and I really have to put some extreme pressures on my scoop to dig. Everyone that I know here uses the Stealthscoop Classic -- strength and durability are our number one consideration when looking for a scoop. If you notice the Stealthscoop Classic's handle goes all the way through to the base of the scoop -- that is key -- it provides additional strength. Once you get the scoop you can beef it up by welding in a steel rod that starts at the tip of the scoop and goes back to the base of the scoop. I can't compare it with other scoops because I've never used them -- but I can say you will have a very tough time breaking it and you won't have to baby it.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have to be pretty strong to use the larger model DeGhetto T_Rex standup water scoop. I prefer to use it where there is small stuff, such as ear ring studs, which do not fall through the approx 1/4 " square holes grid. You are still lifting near same the weight (40 to 45lbs)of wet sand (non drained) at the end of the stick as the Sunspot Stealth 720i.

I have noticed that the treasure hunters at Virginia Beach use a one legged kick to rapidly dump and spread the wet sand from the T Rex. Tried this technique once only to fall on my face. HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread