Will Minelab repair an out of warranty modified Excalibur II

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering purchasing a modified Excalibur II 1000, which is out of warranty.
E.G. (larger 1600 NIHM battery, Grey Ghost head phones, hardwired slim line 8" DD coil, remote pin point/discriminate switch added).
If this detector later fails, does it have to be returned to stock condition, before Minelab will repair it - assuming parts are available and the cost is affordable.
If sent to Minelab as is, and repaired, will Minelab just do the necessary repair(s) or will they only return the repaired detector in stock condition (no modifications).

Upvote 0

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering purchasing a modified Excalibur II 1000, which is out of warranty.
E.G. (larger 1600 NIHM battery, Grey Ghost head phones, hardwired slim line 8" DD coil, remote pin point/discriminate switch added).
If this detector later fails, does it have to be returned to stock condition, before Minelab will repair it - assuming parts are available and the cost is affordable.
If sent to Minelab as is, and repaired, will Minelab just do the necessary repair(s) or will they only return the repaired detector in stock condition (no modifications).

Minelab Americas Customer Care line 1-877-767-6522

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab will NOT repair "as-is" The only way they will make repairs is to bring it back to full Minelab specs which will mean new ML coil, new ML headphones, removal of the PP switch, replacement of the battery back to original. Of course, they will include all those pieces they remove when they ship it back to you, but expect to pay serious $$$ for all that work.

For what has been done to it, either find someone else to fix it, or sell it on ebay as non-working for parts when it dies.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Jason: That is what I was afraid off (sigh).

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect you are correct Jason... because they would have to pressure test it. I believe they give you a short limited warranty on their repairs as well. Its a darn shame that even if you could do the work and know what the problem is.... they wont proved the parts either like some of the better CS companies do. you are kind of YOYO (your on you own) when you buy a modified machine. I was also told they wont work on the insides of the sword any longer.

Dew

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I sent my excal in last year, they wouldn't do the repairs unless I agreed to let them replace the Anderson knobs with factory minelab ones. They said in order to have the factory repair warranty (which was like 6 months IIRC) it had to be comletely factory components.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member and hunting partner davespens does repair work on excals with mods....... He is better than ML on repairs...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread