Using CTX 3030 Underwater--Any Precautions You Can Share?

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This may sound silly, but I am a bit nervous about using my CTX 3030 completely underwater at the beach. As the weather gets warmer, I would like to use my CTX 3030 in the surf, as deep as I can manage--chest to shoulder high (I am 6'5"). I was wondering if any of those who have used the CTX completely underwater have any thoughts or suggestions. I am trying to imagine the damage that would be done to this expensive detector if water got in the wrong place. In another thread, someone mentioned buying silicone grease for the plastic seal of their battery compartment (on another model detector), but it seems like anything of this sort would end up attracting dry sand later and eventually doing more harm than good. I would like the benefit of your colllected knowledge before I do something dumb. By the way, I do have the Gray Ghost waterproof Headphones designed for the CTX 3030, so that is covered. Thank you for your feedback.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I noticed the only sealing is done in the cap and not in the threads. If you ask me it's poorly designed. I'm scared to turn down the cap too hard as it could twist the port and possibly do damage inside. It does need to be tight though and a very thin coat of silicone may do the trick. I would like to do something to seal it up properly though. If I wasn't concerned with the warranty, I would stick a in cord in there and permanently seal it with a cord in the plug and then make my own sealed cap on the other end. Since it's still under warranty, I won't be doing that. I'm leery to submerge it again to be honest. If I go during low tide I can go out about 100-200 yards without submerging the control unit. That is far enough to dig around. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cory, I only tighten mine 2 finger tight with a very small among of lube on washer and have had mine 1-2 feet underwater without any leakage. I wouldn't crank down on it to hard.

Last edited:

upfishcreek

Greenie
Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't even think the battery pack would be safer to use than the rechargeable pack. I've used mine underwater for a few hours in freshwater. No problems.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after everything dried out and was working good for a few days, I tried again in the ocean after contacting ML support. Control unit was underwater for 5-10 minutes max. Same thin happened again. USB connected was showing the next morning. I don't have any problems while in the water or for several hours after removing it from the beach. It's the next morning I am getting the error. This kills my next day for searching until the unit dries out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get it to come back on normally by drying the USB plug out with a hair dryer set to no heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd think some Teflon tape on the threads, silicone grease on the cap and threads, then wrap a few turns of waterproof silicone tape around the cap and base to keep out water and dirt - would be about all anyone can do to protect the USB port. Not a great design.

wadias

Apr 8, 2014
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

14:30 Russians were tested it up to 6 meters in preswater. Not recommended to repeat with your gear. So 3 meters will cower easy. I guess I can easily modify it up to 10 meters, but the warranty will be lost right away... :(

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing worse to me than worrying all the time that something is going to fail. Peace of mind means a lot to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread