Those Deep Sands of Summer?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer we had a lot of deep soft sand on our beaches, seems everyone was complaining about it. So, with this in mind, how many of you have a new plan of attack for hunting these deep summer sands? I know I have a couple of new notions I'm going to try this year. I only ask because it looks like it's gearing up to be another sand filled summer over here on the East Coast.

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are adding new sand to all my beaches this pasted winter ,as much as 4 to 5 feet on some beaches. We need a good hurricane to clean the sand and straighten out the beaches.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a new plan for this summer, pretty much the same beaches but a different approach. The mods OBN just did for me will help with this I think.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
I'm thinking that the key is going to be fresh drops.... timing is everything.... and getting out there and swinging that coil.... soon after the crowds leave..... is going to be the key to success.....JMHO

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer I spent nearly everyday on the beach and many nights, most of the better finds coming during the height of the activity during the day. Night hunts produced very little, deep soft sand, a tide change or two, seemed anything heavy got sucked and churned straight down quickly. During the later part of the summer I concentrated on improving my depth and sensitivity skills, finds started increasing, usually in the way of smaller finds like thin chains and thin/lightweight rings. So this year I'm going to focus on hunting for those targets I know I can access, all else will be the bonus finds.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Last summer I spent nearly everyday on the beach and many nights, most of the better finds coming during the height of the activity during the day. Night hunts produced very little, deep soft sand, a tide change or two, seemed anything heavy got sucked and churned straight down quickly. During the later part of the summer I concentrated on improving my depth and sensitivity skills, finds started increasing, usually in the way of smaller finds like thin chains and thin/lightweight rings. So this year I'm going to focus on hunting for those targets I know I can access, all else will be the bonus finds.

I think that with the fresh drops.... you still have to look for areas where sand is moving..... and to a degree still look for low spots as they will change everyday..... most targets will sink out of reach fast.... but there will be the exceptions.... that's just the reality of what sand and surf hunting in the summertime ! I guess that's what they mean when they refer to summer hunting as a greased pig chase !!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that with the fresh drops.... you still have to look for areas where sand is moving..... and to a degree still look for low spots as they will change everyday..... most targets will sink out of reach fast.... but there will be the exceptions.... that's just the reality of what sand and surf hunting in the summertime ! I guess that's what they mean when they refer to summer hunting as a greased pig chase !!

It's funny, but there are stretches on the beaches I hunt where the sand gets tossed and turned more easily then other stretches of the beach. It's a pretty rare day when I can't find someplace on the beach where the sand is moving. The position and shape of bars play a big role in this, as does the monthly high/low tide cycle. In the summer months I do much better during the monthly high tide cycle period, just more water on the lower beach to help move the sand around. The monthly low cycle is nicer to hunt and it provides more access but not nearly as much water to move the sand around, usually just brings more sand straight into the troughs and onto the lower beach.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our problem here is the storms came in dug big hole in the sand and everything got collated to the bottom then the high tides of winter pulled the sand over those holes. Its still soft out there and in some spots deeps... to deep. Instead of cutting and forming hard sand bars its keeping them pushed up and soft. I havent seen a cut yet like last year where it got down to the shells. Its keeping the small junk on top. Ron.... dont even mention that word.... my insurance is high enough.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our problem here is the storms came in dug big hole in the sand and everything got collated to the bottom then the high tides of winter pulled the sand over those holes. Its still soft out there and in some spots deeps... to deep. Instead of cutting and forming hard sand bars its keeping them pushed up and soft. I havent seen a cut yet like last year where it got down to the shells. Its keeping the small junk on top. Ron.... dont even mention that word.... my insurance is high enough.

Dew

Dew, I was thinking about this the other night, which is better, the west coast where the deep summer sand just continues to pile up, or the east coast where the deep soft sands of summer just keep getting churned? :laughing7: I can find lots of deeper holes in the summer over here, however, I sink to my ankles when I'm hunting them. :laughing7: :dontknow:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With fresh drops you have to be more of a stalker concentrating on where people have recently been than looking for windblown low spots.
It is crucial to detect the target before it sinks below detection range. Fortunately, light jewelry and coins will float on top of the sand or in the sand when flat since they have a relatively large surface area. For instance, I have found dimes lying on top of dry sand, where they have fallen at night. In comparison, when a dime hits the sand on edge, it immediately sinks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions