Best Friend in the Hospital

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my best friend is in the hospital. After speaking to the doctor I was told that he is going to experience major surgery, including the resetting of his brain, a complete rebuilding of his spine, the installation of a remotely operated pace maker, and last but not least, the installation of hearing aids. Oh how I miss him, oh how I long for the day when we can once again take our walks along the beach together. But here’s the good news, doc said the recovery time will only be a few days and that my best friend will be good as new once he leaves the hospital. Thanks OBN! :laughing7: :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brown ambulance brought my baby back home from the hospital today, now comfortably resting in her bed after a 100% recovery. A couple more days bed rest and then I promised her I'd take her to the beach. :laughing7: The surgeon that worked on her sure knew his stuff as she's better then new. :icon_thumleft:

a1.jpg a2.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one fine looking gieger counter.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just one more question; last time we were on the beach I saw her winking at a DF, so,......IS SHE PREGNANT!
angry4.gif

She is the Momma of two girls and one boy, who looks like grandpaw.
IMG_0080.JPG

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As is typical of a female, first day home and she wants me to take her shopping at the beach. :laughing7:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS: I need an objective answer on a subjective matter.

From a technical and financial viewpoint: Is it better for your old friend to undergoe major surgery which will be very expensive, painful. and at best add little additional time to the life of your friend.

Or is it better, for your friend to retire, and still enjoy short walks on the beach, if able.
Not to be cruel or harsh, but wouldn't it be better to kindle a new relationship and start a new?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From a technical and financial viewpoint: Is it better for your old friend to undergoe major surgery which will be very expensive, painful. and at best add little additional time to the life of your friend.

Or is it better, for your friend to retire, and still enjoy short walks on the beach, if able.
Not to be cruel or harsh, but wouldn't it be better to kindle a new relationship and start a new?
A new one wouldnt come with all those mods...thats not an Excal, thats a Frankencal.

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the surgical enhancements/updates of an excel by an expert like joe(obn) lead to a machine that will see increased depth, sensitivity and versatility that is currently not matched or offered by any of the metal detector manufacturers. we keep waiting on real improvements or new technology but they don't deliver!!! some of us have grown tired of waiting and have taken matters into our own hands. in this case improvements are much better, a nearly 20 year old excel or cz will outperform any modern detector on the beach, with joes(obn) ingenuity, surgical skills and excellent workmanship we can even improve that performance at a very reasonable price and have a deeper more sensitive and more versatile detector that is better than anything that is available new!! that's what we have all been waiting for.
chuck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the surgical enhancements/updates of an excel by an expert like joe(obn) lead to a machine that will see increased depth, sensitivity and versatility that is currently not matched or offered by any of the metal detector manufacturers. we keep waiting on real improvements or new technology but they don't deliver!!! some of us have grown tired of waiting and have taken matters into our own hands. in this case improvements are much better, a nearly 20 year old excel or cz will outperform any modern detector on the beach, with joes(obn) ingenuity, surgical skills and excellent workmanship we can even improve that performance at a very reasonable price and have a deeper more sensitive and more versatile detector that is better than anything that is available new!! that's what we have all been waiting for.
chuck.

And there are other issues as well.
A) where are the improvements in these newer beach/water machines?
B) Including the recent mods, I've got half as much $$$ in the older machine then I would have a new machine without the mods.
C) all Excals "are not" created the equal. Some run more stable then others, this one is one of those machines. Extremely stable even with hot settings in the turbulence and wash. Falsing almost has to be worked at. Why? Who knows, but I have had other Excals that don't even come close to the stability in this one.
D) and, other unspoken mods are in the works to further increase the machine's versatility, depth, and sensitivity. Would you really want to conduct all these changes on a brand new, over priced, machine? Not me.
E) the machine in question has already paid for itself many times over and it is still going super strong.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put lookindown; well stated!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck & lookindown: Who is this Doctor Obn Stein?

Is he mad, thinking that he can do what Wayne (a head muckity muck at Minelab) couldn't do or dare not venture.

Or does he have close ties with Ms Minelab for parts from her fledglings?

Can we sleep at night, with our ailing Excalibur/Sovereigns, without fear of them being taken for their body parts for such experiments?

Is it possible he has miracle power(s)?
I have heard that he is able to bring the dead back to life!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is said that he has an old stone tower by the sea, lightening rods stretching into the heavens in search of stormy skies. Triumphant cries of "he-he-he" have often been heard echoing from the top of the tower through the looming mid-night mist. Rumor has it that he has created various gold hungry beach monsters over the years. Some say he is a wizard, some say a genius, but most believe him to be both.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it's coming back from OBN, it will come back better than new!!

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OBN I sent you a message. Are you available to do mine as well?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plugging her into an IV tonight and then going for a stroll on Monday. :icon_thumleft:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck Bigscoop, She will take some time to learn, just like the first date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread