First Timer Found Gold In The Dip

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, first off I have to say I am brand new digger. I have always wanted to and so recently bought a new Excal and 720 scoop. Wandered down to the beach, never having even swung an MD before but had watched a bunch of vids on it. Got to the beach on Friday, figured I would just learn how to do things. Honestly, I was kind of intimidated, lots of people around on Spring Break. Just kinda wondered here and there for 3 hours listening to the sounds and trying to get the levels right. I was in all metal mode....... found a bunch of trash and some clad.

Went back the next day closer to low tide, this is a beach I Snook fish at all the time, so know it pretty well. Dang!, look at the size of that dip from the noreaster (Florida version) we had 2 weeks ago. Dip was about 100 yards long and varied from 30 to 50 feet wide? The sandbar it created was covered by 2" of water at dead low and I was in 4 - 5 feet of water in the deepest part. Noticed I was hitting stuff in a fairly consistent line, even though I was trying to work the whole width. Found a ton fishing gear and then my first score of a piece of jewelry. I still don't know what it is made of, looks like copper but had zero blue corrosion on it. All the paint flaked off when it was in the ultrasonic and vinegar baths, weighs 9 gr. Oh well, I have a lot to learn for sure but was totally psyched after being in the water the whole day, finding LOTS of stuff.

IMG_20130315_195741.jpg
IMG_20130315_225242.jpg
IMG_20130316_075316.jpg
IMG_20130316_075407.jpg

Went back the 3rd day in a row. Funny, you know how you never notice a yellow truck until you have one? Sunday, I decided to go a little further south where the larger crowds are, parking was brutal, just as I was slowing down to grab a spot, there was another MD'er just entering into the area that I was going to hit. Even though I am fairly sure he was not going to be IN the water because of the way he was dressed, I still decided to let him have the beach and went back to my own spot. I picked up where I thought I left off on the dip and watched another MD'er working the dry sand area. Still finding lots of junk in a pretty straight line and then, GOLD! Could not believe it, 3rd times the charm and payback for letting Buddy have that other beach. What an awesome day, spent about 3.5 hrs in the water. Only disappointment was not remembering what the sound of gold sounded like, as every sound I hear is still a new sound and I have really crappy hearing. The ring's 14kt and weighs 6 grams, was actually several days before I found the 14 kt mark inside the only bit of corrosion on the ring! I had been trying to interpret the other mark on it, thinking it was an older ring or European.

IMG_20130316_195721.jpg
IMG_20130316_195800.jpg
First Gold 14k.jpg
First Gold 14k Closer.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the beach or dip but going in the water, I leave the camera in the truck. Maybe one of these days, I'll have to get a waterproof one. But these last 3 days, the winds have gradually been clocking to the SE. The sandbar had been acting as a pretty good breakwater, making it much easier to work in the water. Low tide was also shifting later and later in the day. On the 4th and final day, Low tide was close to 7PM and sunset so I got to the beach about 3:00. Was basically a mistake, the dip was much deeper, the waves bigger, I was flying like a flag on some of my digs, trying to keep the scoop on point while the waves and tidal flow was blowing me off.....still finding junk but the dip is clearly filling in fast.

Finally around 5, conditions were more favorable, kinda found the line and then found another huge goober. Spent a total of about 4 hrs in the water.

IMG_20130318_102330.jpg
IMG_20130317_223601.jpg

Talk about being excited, with all the coral crud on it, it was heavy! But after a couple days of ultrasonic and vinegar baths, the center piece where there must have been a setting or something just dissolved into sediment and a piece of I guess electroplate was flaking......so assume it is junk. Now, that I though it was junk and the coral crude really was not coming off, I decided to do some electrolysis, after about four or five 30 second baths....here's how it looks.

IMG_20130320_111458.jpg

Here's the 4 day total of fishing gear. Not shown is a bunch of fishing line, leader wire. I could not believe the Excal honked like crazy on a rusty piece of leader wire about 1/2" long, as well as a swivel. The wire didn't fall through, as it was laying on a shell in the scoop. The stainless swivel took me about a half hour to dig because it kept falling through the scoop, finally pulled it out when it was on top of a shell. Over 5 lbs of lead.
IMG_20130320_110602.jpg

4 day total of clad and the tiny SS swivel.
IMG_20130319_110830.jpg

Here's my fishing rig.
IMG_20130319_105832.jpg

I'm definitely hooked and can't wait to find more ways of digging in the water. Cannot get back in the water until a week from today, that's a long time away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
You certainly got off to a great start with the excal. Terrific content and excellent pics!!!

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I havent snooked since nov. Thats when I got my detector. Still always hitting the beach. Just my rod stays home. Addicted to metal.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting post!

I like the mosaic cross...? Russian or Greek style?

I wish you continued success !

Lorraine

OP
OP
SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah! Sponge, I have already thought about that, when summer bait/snook season is here, I'll dirt fish at low tide fish and snook fish at high!

Terry

I havent snooked since nov. Thats when I got my detector. Still always hitting the beach. Just my rod stays home. Addicted to metal.

OP
OP
SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lorraine, I wish I knew. I'm afraid I am at the start of the learning curve about precious metals, jewelry, coins and all that. Heck, I'm not even sure what metal it is. I mean, it looks like copper but how come, not a speck of blue corrosion or any corrosion at all? The verse is a scripture out of the Bible, the font, I haven't a clue. I feel pretty sure the paint would have flaked off, no matter what but no doubt the ultrasonic caused it to happen. In hind site, I probably should have just put it in a distilled water bath for a few days but I guess that's how you learn.

Terry

Interesting post!

I like the mosaic cross...? Russian or Greek style?

I wish you continued success !

Lorraine

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I can tell you're addicted already.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your off to a great start...nice 14k ring, congrats...you on the East coast or West Coast?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great start and congrats on your first GOLD!!!
A couple of things that can help you out, get a couple of rare earth magnets. Stick one on the inside of your stainless scoop and one on the outside so they are attracted to each other. It will save you a countless amount of time chasing wire and magnetic small trash from repeatedly going through the holes in your scoop. Also a plus is that sharks do not like the magnetic
fields that they put out.
Another thing that can help out is the cd, Ear training with the Minelab Excallibur. Excellent learning tool of all major metals and the sounds they will make. Only about $10 and can be bought at Kelleyco or off ebay. I still play it on the way to the beach to refresh my ears to the sounds of the Excall.
Good pics of your finds as well. Keep us all up to date on your finds. You are ahead of the learning curve so far. There is no turning back now, once gold is in the scoop the detectorist is hooked for life. Enjoy.

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice posting--enjoyed it, welcome to a facinating hobby/addiction

OP
OP
SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your off to a great start...nice 14k ring, congrats...you on the East coast or West Coast?

Thanks! I'm on the "Right" side.... Southeast - I wear my lucky camo Ruger cap, flag me down if you ever see me!

OP
OP
SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start and congrats on your first GOLD!!!
A couple of things that can help you out, get a couple of rare earth magnets. Stick one on the inside of your stainless scoop and one on the outside so they are attracted to each other. It will save you a countless amount of time chasing wire and magnetic small trash from repeatedly going through the holes in your scoop. Also a plus is that sharks do not like the magnetic
fields that they put out.
Another thing that can help out is the cd, Ear training with the Minelab Excallibur. Excellent learning tool of all major metals and the sounds they will make. Only about $10 and can be bought at Kelleyco or off ebay. I still play it on the way to the beach to refresh my ears to the sounds of the Excall.
Good pics of your finds as well. Keep us all up to date on your finds. You are ahead of the learning curve so far. There is no turning back now, once gold is in the scoop the detectorist is hooked for life. Enjoy.

Thanks for that S&R, in fact I am going to order the CD today. My scoop is all 1/2" holes and I am glad of that as it does let all the sand and smaller shell sift through rapidly UW and before I had even bought it, figured I would have to go the mesh or magnet route. What size magnets are you talking about and where do you locate them on the scoop? I see Harbor Freight has some, just not sure of the size I need to get.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you should worry about the cross, it's not valuable. The gold ring, though, is wonderful. I think the corroded area is a soldered joint (probably was sized), low karat solder melts at a lower temperature than 14k.; the higher copper content can corrode in saltwater.

I think snook fishing is an excellent preparation for gold hunting. my thinking is that both snook and gold show up in holes where the current runs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread