My Beach Finds

rakoom2002

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my girlfriend and I went to the oregon coast this weekend and I have to say I was very disappointed. We started out at cannon beach which is a more quiet area more marketed towards middle aged adults. Even though were both 27, we like to have quiet, definitely over the party stage and dont like loud noise. We decided to stay the night in cannon beach and metal detect all day. We hardly got any signals. Maybe 15 digs the whole day and they were all garbage. We ran into a couple of these metallic build ups that were coming up as good coins signals, either a quarter, dollar or 50 cent piece.

We then decided to go to seaside which is a more popular beach area but also was assuming that there was going to be a lot more trash. The most frustrating thing abouit the beach were definitely the buried fires. They always gave off decent signals. Not sure if it were from burnt pop cans or other stuff but it was very frustrating. I am using a Garrett Ace 250 btw and a Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer (Just got my garrett pin pointer today). Anyways, we were detecting for about 6 hours total at seaside and were only able to find various garbage and a TON more of those super annoying metallic build ups.

I did manage to find an unfriendly fellow metal detector. I was going to walk up to him and say high and see if he had found anything decent today or could give me any tips, I got within about 100 feet of the guy and the fellow looked up and I waved to him and he just stared at me and then turned around and slowly started detecting the other way. Not sure what the deal was, he definitely saw my detector and gear on. Maybe just wanted to be left alone.

While we were down there I posted a thread asking for more advice, which I really appreciated. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/342429-frustrated-any-tips.html . Im still not sure if im suppose to be hunting more towards the water or where people sit on the dry sand. I do know that I didnt get a signal signal in the wet sand area. I know people said not to go by the wet sand area but I saw a video on youtube of a guy that uses an ace 250 in the water and wet sand area fine, plus I did the dime test and it worked well in the wet sand and the detector wasnt going crazy, just seemed to not be anything there. But ya, here are my finds for the two days. Definitely less than stellar.

2013-03-20_02-44-22_152.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_flag.gif
Great finds rakoom2002! The "other guy" might have a seeing (eye) problem - wouldn't take it personal.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know it is alot busier over there with many "heaters" - but seriously if another MD can't even give you a nod than he sucks barnacles and not worth your presence nor conversation. Over here - MD's are true oddities to the main flock, only ever met one grumpy pants as we happened upon the same spot only me 3 1/2 hours earlier :)
Keep it up at the beach as it really is a place where people lose items of high value. Also remember (as I now know) - when you see a pile of looted gold from a big wig on a sweetspot- it is because they have scorched the earth / seabed with time and effort for it to come together.... beginners luck will only last so long............... hunt the dry with that 250 - find enough to buy better! HH
I'm very amped at the moment as I take a find in for appraisal tomorrow and am hoping for a win - I'm busting baby.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fight_right.gif
Bring 'em on - those nasty, grumpy pants MD'ers who can't even give you a nod - Bring 'em on!
fight.gif

fight_onground.gif
Sorry Smoogle but I just couldn't resist.
killingme.gif

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I waved at a md last week and got that same response. Just a blank stare. I shook my head and said to myself im gonna hit this spot more often and keep waving and swinging. Arrrrr

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So my girlfriend and I went to the oregon coast this weekend and I have to say I was very disappointed. We started out at cannon beach which is a more quiet area more marketed towards middle aged adults. Even though were both 27, we like to have quiet, definitely over the party stage and dont like loud noise. We decided to stay the night in cannon beach and metal detect all day. We hardly got any signals. Maybe 15 digs the whole day and they were all garbage. We ran into a couple of these metallic build ups that were coming up as good coins signals, either a quarter, dollar or 50 cent piece.

We then decided to go to seaside which is a more popular beach area but also was assuming that there was going to be a lot more trash. The most frustrating thing abouit the beach were definitely the buried fires. They always gave off decent signals. Not sure if it were from burnt pop cans or other stuff but it was very frustrating. I am using a Garrett Ace 250 btw and a Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer (Just got my garrett pin pointer today). Anyways, we were detecting for about 6 hours total at seaside and were only able to find various garbage and a TON more of those super annoying metallic build ups.

I did manage to find an unfriendly fellow metal detector. I was going to walk up to him and say high and see if he had found anything decent today or could give me any tips, I got within about 100 feet of the guy and the fellow looked up and I waved to him and he just stared at me and then turned around and slowly started detecting the other way. Not sure what the deal was, he definitely saw my detector and gear on. Maybe just wanted to be left alone.

While we were down there I posted a thread asking for more advice, which I really appreciated. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/342429-frustrated-any-tips.html . Im still not sure if im suppose to be hunting more towards the water or where people sit on the dry sand. I do know that I didnt get a signal signal in the wet sand area. I know people said not to go by the wet sand area but I saw a video on youtube of a guy that uses an ace 250 in the water and wet sand area fine, plus I did the dime test and it worked well in the wet sand and the detector wasnt going crazy, just seemed to not be anything there. But ya, here are my finds for the two days. Definitely less than stellar.

View attachment 764513

Use the all metal and go slower[reale slow], look for cuts, gravel and shell heaps and pull tabs[no discrimination] It works for me! HH Boris 20130222_112827.jpg ps they think this is melted beer cans? from 1600s? The other MDer thought you found the good stuff!

Last edited:

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it up you will learn your own groove so to speak. don't forget behind the sand dunes with your ace I have found a lot of coin spills and lost keys , it's where a lot of people go to pull of there pants for one thing or another? And like others have said save up for a good water machine don't waste your time in the water with that ace.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rakoom: Just because an individual is swinging a metal detector does not mean that individual is friendly. Why would you expect a complete stranger, most likely at an isolated beach, stop what he is doing to answer your question(s)? Think about it, if you saw a hunter carrying a rifle/shotgun; would you walk up to that hunter to ask question(s) - I think not.

Your timing was bad, as you are interrupting what he is doing, the best time to talk to someone is when they are not detecting (walking by/finished detecting). The detectorist might of been at the beach to escape from daily pressures and needed solitude. At best you are a competitor, at worst you are a threat who could steal the expensive equipment he invested in or any treasure found. As you are using a Garrett ACE 250, which is often used by experienced hunters on dry sand at salt water beaches, it is not obvious that you are a beginner - who may need help.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread