is there any detector that can handle it all?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I want a vehicle that can go rock climbing on weekends, gets 40mpg, and is easy to park in the city.

The saying "Jack of all trades master of none comes to mind." Purpose built , imo, is the way to go. I too own detectors for the beach and for land. While my Sov GT, one of the go-to beach detectors, is also a top rated land detector i find it difficult to use when dirt hunting. So, there, a Tesoro Vaquero gets the nod. While both are beep and dig machines the pinpointing on the Vaq is dead on every time. Something you want when digging dirt. The Sov's pinpointing is also top of class, but the machine waivers from pinpointing off the heal of the coil to the top of the coil. Not a problem at the beach where a near miss with the scoop isn't a big deal. The Sov requires an extra pass or two to nail down the target in dirt. Combined with it's legendary slow recovery, makes the super fast recovery Vaq an easy choice.

IMO, buy two detectors.

OP
OP
W

waldopeppa

Jan 16, 2005
appreciate all the input

i guess ill go with 2 detectors then

but why not a pi for both? doesnt that go deeper than a vlf on land?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im interested in buying a detector that totally is submersible and can search on land also

i would like something that is able to detect deep and coins,jewelry,gold and relics but there are so many and so many different prices it is getting frustrating

any suggestions?
The easy answer is NO, but I think the CTX3030 comes the closest. Waterproof to 10', great target ID system, lots of coil choices, goes pretty deep, and is very stable in all kinds of ground. Is it the deepest? No, but better than most. Is it the best one to dive with? No. Best nugget machine? nope. No other single machine will do it all either but it does many things well and may be the best coin machine with discrimination. I you want the best in all areas of hunting, you'll need to get many detectors.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appreciate all the input

i guess ill go with 2 detectors then

but why not a pi for both? doesnt that go deeper than a vlf on land?

Yes they do, but you will dig EVERY SINGLE piece of metal in ground. You would be better off with a shovel and a sifter (if that were even possible for most turf hunts) than to use a PI.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro does it all...two machines, even three would be better...but if you could only have one, the AT pro would be my choice.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN: I am even more curious than BS. Why did it take so long to realize Never again using the excal on land?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the Old Pirate problem

.............Sometimes you have little relapses at my age but they come back real quick once the machine starts sounding like a pipe organ...

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also have to say the CTX 3030 comes closest. It can be submersed to 10' which is deeper than the majority of Excalibur hunters go. So if your interests are hunting for coins, jewelry, or artifacts in fresh and salt water no deeper than 10', in wet and dry sand, and on land, then it would seem to fit the bill as a do it all machine. It has very quickly earned a reputation as a killer land hunting machine. Time will tell if it is able to do the same in the water.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ21 doesn't have a meter or depth gauge so that makes it pretty tough on land. Coil choices might be another issue.

brisco11

Mar 15, 2013
roanoke,va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only one suggestion for you the infinium ls by garret would be a good choice for a all in one detector its also it's also sumersible to 200 foot and it works great on land as well as under and over the water.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the forums brisco11:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread