Beach Detecting is the Hot New Trend

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"10,000 of us “Baby Boomers” are retiring every day" Praise God for that, I get so tired of outdated manuals and working with people that refuse new things.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LinkHylian: God has nothing to do with it!
Retirement is the governments way of letting us know that we are no longer of use and a liability.
While Death is natures way of letting one know that one has been fired!

Last edited:

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
yup, it's very very smart to promote our hobby, I mean we all want more and more hunters worldwide, right ?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently our hobby is becoming “hot,”
Probability the reason ML raised the price on the excalibur, too weedout the rookies. Thank You Minelabs...

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup, it's very very smart to promote our hobby, I mean we all want more and more hunters worldwide, right ?

Although we tried, we couldn't stop you from breaking into the hobby either. :thumbsup: I wouldn't worry too much about the article Acquisitor, unlike the folks that watch Randy Savage each week, folks that see the article will have to know how to read to see what I said. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"10,000 of us “Baby Boomers” are retiring every day" Praise God for that, I get so tired of outdated manuals and working with people that refuse new things.

You will have to pry my Blackberry out of my old, cold, dead hand you young whippersnapper! :laughing7:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a business opportunity there!! Selling Metal Detecting Dictionaries! These trendy newcomers need to do more than just walk the walk. They need to be able to talk the talk! I mean we wouldn't want them to confuse their Nectar Sectors with their Juice Pockets. How embarrassing would that be? Just for the good of the hobby, we have a reputation to protect!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is for Minelab.
Their focus, as every other manufacturer, is on the bottom line (that which gives them the most profit).
That is the reason, they are heavily promoting sales of the CTX-3030.
My concern is that they will continue to support the Excalibur, and am willing to pay the increased cost(s) for it. Most rookies (except for myself) start out with entry level detectors to get a feel for the hobby. I took a different approach as I am old to treasure hunting but new to metal detecting.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acquisitor:, if it were not for the challenging economies worldwide it would be a wash.
Yes there would be more hunters but there would also be more depositors (those who loose valuable items). I would be more concerned about where I hunt (local) and where I may be hunting in the future.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live for fishing and metal detecting (all detecting)....just love, love, love it! You can throw in camping also!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a portion of Terry's interview:
"Metal detecting, for retirees? Are you kidding! The hobby sucks! Far too lobar intensive for retired folks. Especially in and around Congress Arizona and White Plains New York. I wouldn't waist my time even considering it, especially in and around these two states." :laughing7:

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
The real story here is that 95% of those who buy metal detectors expect to hit the beach like they are going to a Jewelry story. When they come up empty handed a few times, with only pennies to show for a few hours swinging and their arm is about to fall off becauses they are out of shape, they will give it up since it is too much like hard work and sell their metal detector. In about a year or two, look for the market to be flooded with used detectors of all levels of sophistication. HH, Papa

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real story here is that 95% of those who buy metal detectors expect to hit the beach like they are going to a Jewelry story. When they come up empty handed a few times, with only pennies to show for a few hours swinging and their arm is about to fall off becauses they are out of shape, they will give it up since it is too much like hard work and sell their metal detector. In about a year or two, look for the market to be flooded with used detectors of all levels of sophistication. HH, Papa

after seeing my finds for years - about 10 guys got into the hobby and bought machines where I work
not a one has stuck with it - they all thought it was so easy to find the gold

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Great thread......personally I think most of the long time detectorists including me have a few screws loose....lol....

I do almost exclusively green space detecting, parks, etc.....a chap came up to me last summer and asked if it was worthwhile......I laughed and said well between clad and some silver and gold jewelry I probably found about $1000 dollars of value....he was impressed until I told him that was about 500 hours of detecting.

I said would you work this hard for $2.00 an hour....you're better off being a greeter at Wally World....

Regards + HH

Bill

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Folks,

Great thread......personally I think most of the long time detectorists including me have a few screws loose....lol....

I do almost exclusively green space detecting, parks, etc.....a chap came up to me last summer and asked if it was worthwhile......I laughed and said well between clad and some silver and gold jewelry I probably found about $1000 dollars of value....he was impressed until I told him that was about 500 hours of detecting.

I said would you work this hard for $2.00 an hour....you're better off being a greeter at Wally World....

Regards + HH

Bill

My wife definately thinks I have a few screws loose. She tried it once for 15 minutes and retreated to the beach chair and magazine. When I came back, she said I had to be nuts to work that hard for a few cents per hour. LOL I love every minute of it. HH to all you other crazy people out there. Beach Papa

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hobby sucks! Far too lobar intensive for retired folks." :laughing7:

I think you meant "Far too lumbar intensive" for us retired folks with aching backs.
(And if you didn't, then I did. But I keep MD-ing anyway.)

--Tom

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keepem on the beachs and leave the old coin locations up to us young bucks

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hahaha that got me cracking up really good:). Apparently they are making a comeback, so you might get away from me this time lol.
You will have to pry my Blackberry out of my old, cold, dead hand you young whippersnapper! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions