Question excal senstivity setting for diving

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all Ive been doing a lot of fresh water scuba diving with my excal 10 inch coil. I run the sensitivity around 4 and disc at 1. I am not getting much depth 4to 6 inches in the range and I can't remember the last target I dug at 6. It goes deeper on land or wading
Any thoughts or ideas I would appreciate very much Thank you.

OBN I just watched a vid Of a diver you posted thanks I needed that. Ive dove last 3 days and I am tired. Pulled out my gold bag for inspiration. think I'll get a red bull
HAPPY HUNTING ALL MAY YOUR METAL BE YELLOW

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep are you tank diving?

I assume you are hunting with an Excalibur II 1000 as a sensitivity setting of four is the beginning of subauqua.
Is your detector stable at a higher sensivity setting (which should give you greater depth)?

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep are you tank diving?

I assume you are hunting with an Excalibur II 1000 as a sensitivity setting of four is the beginning of subauqua.
Is your detector stable at a higher sensivity setting (which should give you greater depth)?

Diving 30 feet max excal II yes Ive been hunting on 4 just because it says sub aqua I will try higher sensitivity. I was wondering if sub aqua had more to do with salt water ? thank you

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Hound:
Yes, the sensitivity needs to be reduced when hunting in salt and brackish water because of the increased mineralization. As there is little mineralization in fresh water, you should be able to run at a higher sensitivity for greater detection depth.

VLF metal detector(s) send an electromagnetic field from the top and bottom of the transmit coil and there is a slight spill over on the sides of the coil. As a result they sense the return(s) from what is below the search coil (the ground) as well as the returns from what is above the search coil - (mineralization in the water).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread