MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
I'm going to be spending the this weekend (4/5/2013 - 4/7/2013 with a friend on Anastasia Island.. which is in St Augustine. I have a metal detector and from my understanding I can only use it on the beach.. Anyone else hunt this area have any advice for me. I'm new to all this but extremely excited about it. Are there any particular areas I should search that I can access... All positive advice welcomed :)

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TY I did already research the Florida threads and the area where I am going seem to be pretty old... Hoping someone with recent info will chime In :D
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! The historic sites are off limits. I just got back from the beach and it's so sanded in it's pathetic. They also renourished from Anastasia state park south. All that said, it's a beautiful place and you never know what you will find. HH

OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I'm new to this and I know that's not something I wanted to hear... But im hoping something special washes up on the shore :) Wouldd love to know where all the legal access points are to the beach.... I was looking at close ups of bing maps and there are A LOT of houses on the beach :( I was also looking at some old maps online late 1500's and late 1700's of the area... noticed there use to be a small little passway that isn't there anymore.. Might be worth pinning down.. my luck there is a house built on top of it
Welcome! The historic sites are off limits. I just got back from the beach and it's so sanded in it's pathetic. They also renourished from Anastasia state park south. All that said, it's a beautiful place and you never know what you will find. HH

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariah,
Google Earth in Streetview is a great way to find beach access points. I use it all the time. I'm not familiar with St Augustine though. :dontknow:

"edit" I looked at Google Earth and it looks like there is public parking at http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x88e69df1e7c34d41:0xf51070ad78eca06d&q=St+Johns+County+Ocean+Pier,US&hl=en&ved=0CAwQ2QY&sa=X&ei=hFNbUc6KGcOltwfflIGgBw if you do NOT want to go inside the State Park and if you DO want to go into the State park, you just need to ask the Rangers (for verification) where you are allowed to hunt. They will likely tell you between the high water mark and the low water mark on the beaches only.

Hope that's helps.

LOL I'm new to this and I know that's not something I wanted to hear... But im hoping something special washes up on the shore :) Wouldd love to know where all the legal access points are to the beach.... I was looking at close ups of bing maps and there are A LOT of houses on the beach :( I was also looking at some old maps online late 1500's and late 1700's of the area... noticed there use to be a small little passway that isn't there anymore.. Might be worth pinning down.. my luck there is a house built on top of it

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm your Huckleberry.

St. Augustine Beach completed a massive re-nourishment from ASP south to A Street. The picture in my profile is the coquina rocks at the end of Pope road. They are under 10' of sand and about 75' from the current waterline. You might have some luck sweeping the escarpment. The ASP is hit or miss depending on who the ranger is on duty and how they interpret the rules. The general rule of thumb is from the toe of the dune to the low tide water line. The submerged lands are part of an Underwater Archeological Preserve. No detecting. I've had rangers tell me no dry sand - only tidal zone. I've had rangers say no tidal zone and only the dry. And I've had some say that detecting was not allowed on the beach, but is allowed in the water (definitely wrong). And some have said no detecting allowed at all.

With so much sand in St. Augustine, there really is no reason to bother with the ASP. The Pier south to A Street is fine but you'll have to trek out across the barren wasteland of re-nourished sand. Ocean Trace, Dondanville, and Crescent Beach access ramps will be your most productive. If you happen to venture south to Matanzas, detecting north of the access ramp is allowed; south and you are on NPS property. Keep in mind that the water has been cold and only the crazy northerners have ventured into the water.

Also, check the weather. It looks like we are in for some rain this weekend. If the weather is good, get there early as the beaches have been filling up with what seems like a never ending spring break/easter vacation. Good luck and enjoy the Oldest City.

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Diver - that was a great scout report. :occasion14:

I'm your Huckleberry.

St. Augustine Beach completed a massive re-nourishment from ASP south to A Street. The picture in my profile is the coquina rocks at the end of Pope road. They are under 10' of sand and about 75' from the current waterline. You might have some luck sweeping the escarpment. The ASP is hit or miss depending on who the ranger is on duty and how they interpret the rules. The general rule of thumb is from the toe of the dune to the low tide water line. The submerged lands are part of an Underwater Archeological Preserve. No detecting. I've had rangers tell me no dry sand - only tidal zone. I've had rangers say no tidal zone and only the dry. And I've had some say that detecting was not allowed on the beach, but is allowed in the water (definitely wrong). And some have said no detecting allowed at all.

With so much sand in St. Augustine, there really is no reason to bother with the ASP. The Pier south to A Street is fine but you'll have to trek out across the barren wasteland of re-nourished sand. Ocean Trace, Dondanville, and Crescent Beach access ramps will be your most productive. If you happen to venture south to Matanzas, detecting north of the access ramp is allowed; south and you are on NPS property. Keep in mind that the water has been cold and only the crazy northerners have ventured into the water.

Also, check the weather. It looks like we are in for some rain this weekend. If the weather is good, get there early as the beaches have been filling up with what seems like a never ending spring break/easter vacation. Good luck and enjoy the Oldest City.

Wrecker58

Oct 27, 2010
charlestowne south carolina
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab ctx3030
garrett pin pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey! i used to attend Flagler college and live on Anastasia island! I was very fortunate in the small hunt sessions I've had! I've found a cup full of great flat buttons and two 18th century copper pennies.
i never ever recovered ANYTHING on the beaches due to the constant beach erosion/ renourishment projects.<---however great surf/weather will be there THIS month! I was lucky however at a small local beach named VILANO beach.7-8mile drive up and over across the inlet..ALOT of ship wrecks due to sandbars shifting left people astray, encampments during the revolution, and spanish pirate tales! My little trick was catching road construction going on..there tends be quite a bit of that..i'd stop and waive to the guys digging for sidewalks/ road construction on back roads...theres an old castle looking house (you wont miss it trust me)...there are a couple dirt roads back there that are awesome with turning up flat buttons! either way..youll have a blast in st aug.....its been a few years but im sure theres still some great finds to be had! "A small drinking village, with a fishing problem" :)

Last edited:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anastasia Island is a waste of time. It's too sanded in, and it didn't even exist until the 1970's.

Go further south a few miles down the beach.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh and last time I was there, the ranger told me I could not hunt near the dunes. I was hunting about 50 feet from the dunes, and she made me move down near the water. She told me to stay between the water and the cut on the beach, so I was only allowed to hunt a 10-5' wide section depending on the waves. Then she watch me the whole time.

I said, toe of the tunes, she said toe of the cut.

It wasn't worth the argument, I wasn't finding anything anyway.

I'll never go back.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm your Huckleberry.

What he said:icon_salut:

MariaJ

Mar 23, 2013
Hi! I'm a newbie...I was at Mantanzas on Friday and was told by a Ranger I could detect North to 2nd St. I didn't find anything. Saturday I went further down and found some coins, nothing old, I went back Sunday and found nothing but shells. I still had a great time and will be back this weekend....I received my detector this past week and can't wait until I know what I'm doing. :)

OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that's a lot of into to wrap my head around.. LOL but is soon as I can decipher it all I'm sure it will be most helpful. I had plan on stopping off at the Matanzas area on my way up (I live in Longwood Florida so St Augustine is only a couple hours drive from here) I'm hoping that even with the renourishment project that something will still wash up with the tide... You just never know :) But ty so much for all the wonderful info.. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions :)

BTW do you know how late the beaches are open?

I'm your Huckleberry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie too.. just got my detector this last month :) I had one before and it went unused so I got a new one(still have part of the old one.. its missing the pole and I have no clue what to do with it).. Nothing massive but I'm sure it will still be fun to learn with :) I'm heading up there Friday and I just cant wait... I am also learning to make jewelry so some kewl seashells would be neat too...
Hi! I'm a newbie...I was at Mantanzas on Friday and was told by a Ranger I could detect North to 2nd St. I didn't find anything. Saturday I went further down and found some coins, nothing old, I went back Sunday and found nothing but shells. I still had a great time and will be back this weekend....I received my detector this past week and can't wait until I know what I'm doing. :)

OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if anyone wants to see me on a surf board.. LOL But that would prove interesting in itself..
I have read a lot about Jose Gaspar and his tales, so of course I wouldn't mind finding some of his loot :tchest:
Now Id love to find that old house but dunno how "legal" it would be to use my detector there... But the explorer in me would have a blast.. Luckily it's my best friends bday Friday so I am going with other intentions... He's just grateful that my treasure hunting fever involves a beach LOL
hey! i used to attend Flagler college and live on Anastasia island! I was very fortunate in the small hunt sessions I've had! I've found a cup full of great flat buttons and two 18th century copper pennies.
i never ever recovered ANYTHING on the beaches due to the constant beach erosion/ renourishment projects.<---however great surf/weather will be there THIS month! I was lucky however at a small local beach named VILANO beach.7-8mile drive up and over across the inlet..ALOT of ship wrecks due to sandbars shifting left people astray, encampments during the revolution, and spanish pirate tales! My little trick was catching road construction going on..there tends be quite a bit of that..i'd stop and waive to the guys digging for sidewalks/ road construction on back roads...theres an old castle looking house (you wont miss it trust me)...there are a couple dirt roads back there that are awesome with turning up flat buttons! either way..youll have a blast in st aug.....its been a few years but im sure theres still some great finds to be had! "A small drinking village, with a fishing problem" :)

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The beaches only open/close to vehicle traffic. 7:30 PM all vehicles must be off the beach. Pedestrians can stay (obviously no camping).

^Starting in May

OP
OP
M

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what you mean... I am going this Friday for the weekend.. didn't even know you could drive on the beach... so lets say this weekend what are the times?
^Starting in May

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Technically, the beaches are to stay open at this time of the year. In May starts the beginning of turtle nesting season, and the vehicles must be off the beach as the gates close. But at this time of the year, police will patrol the beaches and ask for you to remove your vehicles around 7PM. You can drive on the beaches, but it will cost you. Some ramps will refuse access to those without 4 wheel drive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread