So Cal Beaches

Rxxxone

Mar 26, 2013
simi valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab e trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a local beach last night got some coins ( 6 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 12 pennies, 1/2 spoon and a zipper pull) not bad i guess for an hour or so but i have a question well 2. at first i used my whites mxt pro with the super 12" coil and it was going crazy could not distinguish on thing from another is this the wrong coil? i then used my garrett ace 350 and things calmed down and i started finding things. now my second question it seemed that when i went down to the wet sand my 350 was beeping like crazy with really nothing to find, whats going on? sorry for the ignorance but i am new to the hobby. Thank you guys and gals

Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello. I also live in So Cal. My first detector was a whites MXT, it was great on dry sand. I had the same ploblem you are having in the wet sand. I ended up buying a Excal. That solved the whole problem. Im in Santa Barbara we have a lot of visitors at our beaches. I just bought the Excal 800 for the waist high water, and use the Excal 1000 during High tide it covers more area with the 10 inch coil. If you want to detect in wet and water a water machine is the way to go. My MXT is hanging in the garage after I bought the Excals. Good luck Joe

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I'm also in SoCal. The detector of choice here (for me) for the wet sand is the White's PI Dual Field. Most VLF's will not tolerate the wet sand.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I'm out in Cali and used to hunt with vlfs and now got me a Tesoro sand shark big difference in the water less chatter and goes deeper . Now I just gotta find a good beach .

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rx, You can find me hitting Santa Monica Beach, Huntington, Sunset, Seal and even Long Beach on occasion. Looks like there are only a few of us in So Cal on here. When in dry and wet I swing an ETRAC if in the water I swing the Dual Field or Sand Shark.. Have found gold with both the DF and SS. Ya just dig a lot of trash with both. But then again no trash no treasure. HH GFP

OP
OP
R

Rxxxone

Mar 26, 2013
simi valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab e trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for responding.. I will be at Malibu to Zuma or let's hook up in sm sometime

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both your machines should work find in the dry sand but neither will work good in the wet. If your beaches are like mine, a PI machine is just not the choice to make unless you like digging nails and bobby pins for hours on end. The Excalibur is hard to beat for wet sand and water. The CZ21 is a good choice too. If you're not going into the water, the E-trac , Explorer, and Sovereign work great in the wet sand too.

OP
OP
R

Rxxxone

Mar 26, 2013
simi valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab e trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update now i have a mxt all pro for parks and a tdi sl for beach and both are perfect

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Just get a ctx 3030 and be done with it. Then when you find a bunch of jewelry, buy a excal as a back up

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I too use the Excal on the beach and shallow water but change it up with the CTX and love them both. Good luck out there!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it has something to do with the mineralization in the salt sand. I have an ACE350, but don't do beaches in Idaho. :) Done some reasearch, though. Basically, to get the "most" out of the 350 in the beach, it's all about sensitivity. In the dry sand, crank it up for depth... for wet sand, turn it down. Basically, just keep it as high as you can without falsing.

Wet sand wont' get much depth, but you'll get something...

CHeers,

Skippy

For the 350 when you swing over the wet sand you will get a hard false hit (I can't remember but I think it's one under pull tab). Notch that one out. Then turn down sensitivity and it will be much better (but still false now and then).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread