Newbie - Which detector for underwater? Choice of two?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi

All as new member, but very long follower of this great site, I thought it was time to extend my detecting into the ocean! and ask those who know!!

I have read hundreds of posts about which is the best detector etc, so thouight i would throw this out there;

I am lucky enough to now live in the Caribbean, on a group of reletivley undeveloped islands. So, trash is minimal, but possible finds HUGE! :skullflag:

So, for in-water hunting, do I go for a PI (Garrett Sea Hunter??) or something like a Excal???
(I will start off wading / snorkelling, then perhaps scuba)

Given the choice, what would you choose??

thanks again all!

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You assume there isnt much trash.... every beach is different, remote or not. Logically you cant expect a lot of treasures and there not be a lot of trash to go along with it. When dealing with that unknown you are better to start off with a VLF with disc. Then you will cover a lot of area faster, have a better idea as to whats in the water, and it should pay for its self quickly. Once thats done get a PI to compliment the VLF. Some people dont have patience for a PI and can hardly tolerate the amount of trash they dig with the VLF. You might also consider.... warranty, known issues with the machine, and cost and location for repairs.

Dew

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why not get a VLF like the Excalibur and dig iron only when you want to? You can use it in the all metal mode or just listen for the threshold to null in discriminate mode. You then have the best of both worlds. The Excalibur will go almost as deep in the all metal (pin point) mode as a PI.

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BBS machine with a WOT in pinpoint will go DEEPER than almost any PI detector in moderately mineralized WET SAND. It will even beat great PI's like the Dual Field sometimes in those conditions.

Take the same two detectors into waist deep, salt water, though, and the Dual Field will destroy the BBS machine. The Sea Hunter probably will, too, although I have not used that detector enough to say for sure.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BBS machine with a WOT in pinpoint will go DEEPER than almost any PI detector in moderately mineralized WET SAND. It will even beat great PI's like the Dual Field sometimes in those conditions.

Take the same two detectors into waist deep, salt water, though, and the Dual Field will destroy the BBS machine. The Sea Hunter probably will, too, although I have not used that detector enough to say for sure.

After "a lot" of testing I've settled on the notion of the Excal & WOT (or sef 12x15) for the wet sand on my local beaches, and the Excal with 8 or 10" for the water hunting. There just isn't enough benefit or versatility in a PI to invest in one for all your beach & water hunting. Most PI owners have selected them based on known hunting conditions, or to address certain hunting conditions, VS selecting them for all their possible beach and water hunting needs. Once you know your beaches the choice would be clearer but without actually knowing those conditions first hand a PI as your only option might present you with a lot of difficulties. The CZ-21 fitting nicely between these two options.

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
I like the Pulse dual field, with a lot of experience you get to know the hair pins or bobby pins or wire by the double blip, but this hobby can be so rewarding, that just 2 or 3 14 bands can bring you in $500 to $750 in scrap, can depend on the area, so why limit yourself to just one unit, go for broke, you will get it back in spades. If after a while you prefer one over the other then sell it off.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said he was looking for an "in the water detector" for wading and snorkling. He further stated he would be using it for snorkeling and scuba most of the time. He said he was interested in iron objects as well as non ferrous ones because of their potential historical value. Small iron doesn't last long underwater. Bigger iron objects are usually easy to identify, even with a pulse. Given what he said he wants to use the detector for, he is making a fine choice. An Excalibur would be a poor choice for his conditions and would cost him twice as much money (and a great deal more aggravation in the long run). A CZ 20/21 might be slightly better, but still not nearly as effective in deeper water as almost any PI. The guy will become a much better underwater detectorist by using his ears as his sole discrimination from the very beginning. He will also save himself a substantial amount of money.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said he was looking for an "in the water detector" for wading and snorkling. He further stated he would be using it for snorkeling and scuba most of the time. He said he was interested in iron objects as well as non ferrous ones because of their potential historical value. Small iron doesn't last long underwater. Bigger iron objects are usually easy to identify, even with a pulse. Given what he said he wants to use the detector for, he is making a fine choice. An Excalibur would be a poor choice for his conditions and would cost him twice as much money (and a great deal more aggravation in the long run). A CZ 20/21 might be slightly better, but still not nearly as effective in deeper water as almost any PI. The guy will become a much better underwater detectorist by using his ears as his sole discrimination from the very beginning. He will also save himself a substantial amount of money.

Was simply agreeing with your earlier assessment of the BBS/WOT and wet sand. As for the water hunting, if he is 100% sure he wants to dig all iron without knowing just how much iron he may actually encounter, then do the PI thing. On the other hand, my beaches are typically clean beaches with not too much iron, "Most of the time". But stir up those outer bars and strip away some of that beach sand and the vast amount of iron can literally drive you nuts, and I mean like every swing or two in many areas.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine and Big Gold!

fox

Greenie
Aug 19, 2011
Williamsburg VA
Detector(s) used
V3I
Garrett At Pro
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my cz_21 it is a deep seeking unit and can be taken to 250 feet lots of settings and is quiet as a church mouse when set correctly.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk 2

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

went for the SeaHunter 2 and am VERY happy.:headbang:
I like the simple "if it beeps its a target" with no chatter etc.
in my area i need to dig EVERYTHING, so this works for me.

found a few things on my first outing that I know MUST have some local historical value.:blackbeard::skullflag:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/350767-musket-ball-plus-strange-copper-things.html

thanks again for all your help!!

Congrats on the new machine. Please keep your impressions coming; I am considering this machine as well and would like to hear your thoughts.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK UPDATE AGAIN!!

went out for only my second outing;

2-4 ft of water
snorkelling
4hr duration

this is the result;

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ing-seahunter-2-more-results.html#post3347728

as I said, I wanted to dig EVERYHTING!! and evrytime i get a beep i get a find!!
i admit I am luck, these local islands have been unihabited since the 1800's and tourists are few and far between! NOT ONE ring pull yet !!

this machine is great!!

getting my PADI this month as I came across a wreck this week... yipee!!!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are welcome. :-) Awesome finds. Keep posting your results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread