Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The island is Santa Rosa Island, Okaloosa is the county. Ok , Most of the island is off limits ( Eglin Air Force Base ) the west end is state Park. You can hunt State Parks on land only, from the toe of the water to the sand dunes. You can hunt FT.Walton beach. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any tips you can offer for detecting the beach? I'm sure it's a lot different than my Alabama red clay.

bullitt4248

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2011
State parks

The island is Santa Rosa Island, Okaloosa is the county. Ok , Most of the island is off limits ( Eglin Air Force Base ) the west end is state Park. You can hunt State Parks on land only, from the toe of the water to the sand dunes. You can hunt FT.Walton beach. Good luck.

Ron,

Could you be more detailed - what general areas would you recommend for electronic scanning/metal detecting. My wife and I will be there Jan-Feb until march 1st.

I am not looking for what I would call a "salted area" - looking for good picnic and search type areas.

Any tips or insights would be appreciated.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends in what detector you have. You can hunt Ft Walton Beach with no issues as far as laws go, your detector type will determine where on beach you can hunt.... If your using the Bounty Hunter you will be fairly limited to the dry sand areas as it will have trouble in wet sand or waters edge unless your turn your sensitivity way down to make it stable and even then it will false due to the salt minerals....

Last edited:

bullitt4248

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks - so without spending my kids inheritance - what's some good wet/dry type detectors should I consider saving for. This is our first time and we intend to devote a good part of two months based out of Fort Walton Beach.

We want to make Fort Walton our winter home - eventually 4-6 months a year if we can find a small 2 bedroom in a safe area! - I am a newly retired Fire Fighter. So, yes another snow bird looking for a winter roost!

Keep the tips and info coming - my wife's partially blind and we figure metal detecting together should be doable. Thanks All !

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks - so without spending my kids inheritance - what's some good wet/dry type detectors should I consider saving for. This is our first time and we intend to devote a good part of two months based out of Fort Walton Beach. We want to make Fort Walton our winter home - eventually 4-6 months a year if we can find a small 2 bedroom in a safe area! - I am a newly retired Fire Fighter. So, yes another snow bird looking for a winter roost! Keep the tips and info coming - my wife's partially blind and we figure metal detecting together should be doable. Thanks All !
. Excal II.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ML Sovereign... just don't dunk the control box.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread