How Quickly Things Change/Sand

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hunting a couple of troughs lately, meager pickings but hitting enough to keep things interesting. A bit of a pain because of the currents and swells but also relaxing at the same time, if that makes any sense. Yesterday I stepped into the one of those troughs and started working it back and forth, just like always, about chest deep as usual. And then suddenly, there was no bottom! In fact, my feet never hit bottom after I went under, that hole just went straight down. After a swell helped me to escape the predicament curiosity caused me to checkout the actual size of the hole, which wasn't there prior to the last tide change. The hole was about 50 feet long and maybe 30 feet across, a large hole that was created during a single tide change. I have no idea how deep it was, maybe 8 feet or so. I should have seen it coming but I was already comfortable in that trough, let my guard down and was allowing my mind and eyes to wonder about other things.

Now I was never in any real danger on this day, shallow water being close at hand at all four sides of me, but the point I'm making is that "a whole lot of sand" got moved with just a single tide change and it is something you encounter quite often when hunting the troughs over here, especially when coming out of the monthly negative cycle or when a strong southeast or northeast wind has been driving water into the beach for day or more, both of which we had just experienced. Just a word of caution to those who enter these waters, "never let your guard down" as things can change in heartbeat.

Upvote 0

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only takes one tide. Sounds like a good place to fish on the next tide though.
Always good to bring up the safety points. Consider that another tide could make this a quick sand hazard for a while.
Glad you're ok. Thanks for posting this.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might need a scuba tank to see what is in the bottom of that hole. I found a similar hole, maybe 7' deep behind some rocks. Out of curiosity I stuck my detector out and down as deep as I could and did get a nice solid signal, but had no way to recover the target since it was quite a bit over my head and I was not equipped to dive for it. By the time I came back prepared to search the hole, it was gone...... Glad you are safe. HH to ya. Papa

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should also provide an interesting observation for a lot of hunters on just how much sand can get moved about with no real effort. Given what it was the day before, this newly developed hole represented a 50' x 30' x 4' (additional depth) area of beach. On the flip side, there were also two other areas that I had been hunting that were several hundred feet long and at least 30 feet wide and about 4 foot deep they got "nearly" completely filled in with one just one changing of the tide. So when we think about heavier items being lost in these shifting sands it's easy to see why they disappear into the depths so quickly.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how steep these holes can be, which is why I always try to keep my coil in contact with the bottom. Usually you can spot these likely holes just by observing the surface currents ahead of you, but not always. I don't think I'll be doing anymore "dark water" hunting in these troughs without a PDF of some type. This marked the first time I've stepped into a hole and not been able to hit bottom.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful out there Scoop, I was hunting the backside of the outer sandbar at Daytona one day, got a nice low growl that gold usually makes on an Excal, while trying to recover it the back wall of sand bar gave way and I sunk like a rock, holding a 6 lb scoop and 5 pound detector it wasn't hard to sink, it was only about 8 feet deep, problem was eveytime I tried to walk back up the wall of sandbar it gave way, I couldnt swim with scoop and detector, I was on the verge of letting my scoop and detector go when I managed to get a good footing and walk back up.....

Drowning is not an option in this hobby.....

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So glad that you got out of there safely, Bigscoop.

Be careful!

Lorraine

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang scoop, makes me pucker! i always try to scrape the bottom with the coil, yep a PFD is on the list for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread