freshwater beach question?

kronos416

Jun 23, 2006
N.E. OHIO
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270 * garret gti 2500 * minelab safari
Im curious about a question regarding freshwater beaches in the winter. has anyone tried detecting freshwater beaches in the winter? if so how hard is it to dig in the sand if the weather hasnt been to to cold to freeze the sand solid? i live in north east ohio and we have been haveing some crazy mild winter here so far this year with highs in the 50`s ? my other question is if the sand is wet will it throw off the detector?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long as the sand isn't frozen you can get a scoop into it. Sometimes the top is soft and below it is like steel and this is always where the target lays.

Wet sand normally won't throw off a detector in freshwater lakes unless there is black sand mixed in with it. On the ocean coasts now where you have saltwater an black sand in some places, most detectors become unstable unless they have a saltwater mode or are Minelabs which ignor iron and don't have to be ground balanced.

I am stuck in Michigan this winter instead of roaming the beaches where the sun warms the hide.

HH,
Sandman

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I have been detecting in a fresh water lake that has not frozen over. Several of our lakes have frozen over. We are in a snow storm now with over 11 inches and still coming down here in the San Bernardino Mts. in Southern California. I have been wading in the water with waders in the sand and small rocks where tourist have thrown coins when the water was a lot higher up to the walls around the buildings. I have used a White's Prinz II and a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 ( Bounty Hunter Tracker IV) and over several times have found $10.00 in change plus a Mercury Dime. I have put the Bounty Hunter 4 inch gold nugget coil on my detector to go between the rocks. Great. My units are automatically ground balanced and the Radio Shack especially - have had not problems with black sand, soil conditions or fresh or salt water. P.S. Many of the coins were in plain sight just laying between the small rocks. That's how I found my Mercury dime.

OP
OP
K

kronos416

Jun 23, 2006
N.E. OHIO
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270 * garret gti 2500 * minelab safari
looks like i might have to give it a try and see how froze the sand is if it is at all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions