I would like to get in the surf - what detector to buy?

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, I have been contemplating a new water detector. I have read alot of previous posts and online reviews. Truth is, I never used a surf detector and I am buying one without experience. Should I buy new or used? I am thinking a new Tesoro Sand Shark. I am nervous about having no discrimination though. I am in the $600 price range, so I can buy a Sea Hunter, a Shark, a White's or something else. I would love some recommendations - don't worry, I'll stay off your turf with it! HH - Jonathan ps - I have a Garrett ACE 350 and I am not thrilled with it and garrett in general from it.

Upvote 0

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a big proponent of used. Especially when embarking on a whole new direction.
I am also a big proponent of White's detectors. Though admittedly in the minority.
The Beach hunter dual field has a good reputation as a surf detector. It is waterproof to 24 feet and oblivious to salt and travels well from wet to dry and back again. Essentially a simplified, waterproof DFX. It is also a VLF machine so has discrimination. The disc lights work even when working in all metal.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot to consider when you say, "surf". Let the beaches you will actually be hunting determine the machine. If you haven't spent a lot of time in the surf in these places then go spend some time in it with detecting in mind. Talk to the local guys that do hunt it. Once you've done all this you will have a good line on a machine, right down to the coil size and how it needs to be setup.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Sand Shark!

Attachments

• summer2011.jpg
    summer2011.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 115
  • stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 115
  • SixRings.jpg
    SixRings.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 113

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too suggest the Tesoro Sand Shark. Pulse detectors do get deeper in the sands and since the sand moves and covers up rings, coins, etc. you need to get down where the items are. You can get a used Sand Shark, but I don't recommend it as you will use it and don't know if it is broke. It could at one time been flooded. At least Tesoro will fix it. White's water detectors have coils that float and have to be held down which gets tiring. Your going to need a good scoop like a Sunspot Stealth 720i.
http://www.stealthscoop.com/

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, You will be limited. Garrett Seahunter/ Sand Shark are both good units, but little or no discrimination. I do have a lightly used Whites Beach Hunter 300 Available if you are interested - It's a bit above your price range.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread