🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I currently have the White's MXT PRO and the TDI and will want to go to the beach later this year. I am looking for a machine that will do well there. I have heard that my White's will do ok there but under certain conditions. So I did a little research and found that the Sand Shark may do a better job. Any thoughts? As a PI machine will it work ok as a back up to my TDI in heavily mineralized soil in places like Virginia where I hunt civil war relics a lot. Any other suggestions for a good beach machine?

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sand shark go very deep. I have had lots of people email for info. on the sand shark, I have been using one for a lot of years and have 100's of rings and small Gold. I have a 10.5 coil on my sand shark now ,but I have talk to Tesoro and I am going to have an 8 inch coil put on. It's a lot easier to pin point with and I think it go's a little deeper than the 10.5 coil. HH RPL

Scottyboy

May 15, 2012
Northwest Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I, Whites Prizm III, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher 1280-x, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a White's Spectra V3i and also a Sand Shark.

You MAY be able to tune your MXT to work in the wet sand, but if it's anything like my V3i, it will be erratic bordering on unstable... it'll work, but it's more annoying than I'm willing to deal with.

If i'm going near the wet salt sand I'm grabbing my sand shark. For an entry-level pulse machine the value is unmatched, and the lifetime warranty can't be beat.

I pulled mine out of the closet this year and it was operating intermittently. I sent it in to Tesoro, and I had the pleasure of dealing with Rusty in their service dept. He informed me that there was a hairline crack in the control housing and the coil was leaking. He replaced the coil, control box, and the headphones(basically the whole shebang)and got it on its way back to me within 12 days of me sending it out all at no cost to me (besides the cost of shipping it to them, they paid the return freight).

You simply cannot beat that kind of service.

I'm not going to claim the Sand Shark is the hands-down best PI machine on the beach, but I will say it's value is unmatched. I've spent enough time around salt-water and electricity (boats) to now that failures are imminent at all times... the thought of a company that gives a lifetime warranty for an electronic device that is designed to work in a harsh salt-water environment.... it all just seems a little crazy to me. And yet, Tesoro stands behind these things every day.

If a pulse machine is right for you, then yes, without hesitation I would recommend the Sand Shark.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my Sand Shark in farm fields up in Kingston, NY with good success - very deep. It is the easiest PI to use on the market, and just as deep or deeper than machines costing twice as much. On wet saltwater sand and in saltwater it comes alive, just a great beach machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread