todays beach trip with the sand shark

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2013-05-04 23.36.17-1.jpg
    2013-05-04 23.36.17-1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trackerman: I have removed my prior hastily written reactive post (IIRC) "As such action(s) are a tell, there is no need to comment on such generosity". On reflection, I realize that I automatically do the same without even bothering to dig and retrieve so that I can throw it back, when I discriminate with my VLF detector. In fact after hunting for one year, I had to switch to all metal mode to find my first bobby pin which I keep to remind me of what they are, in the rare event that I ever come across another one.
Congratulation(s) on your hoard of Clad. It is larger than what I average in a typical hunt.

What blinded me was my strong negative reaction to finding Awful Abes aka Zincolns, and Stinken Lincolns while searching for treasure: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pure Copper (Honest Abbes), and Gray Matter (Lead). There is nothing like spending hours removing all coins and trash to be able to hear the faint sound of deep gold or small jewelry only to discover that you have entered the valley of the Awful Abe(s), which for reason(s) unknown have sunk deepest (sigh).

It is ironic, that when such copper coated coins are so badly corroded that they cannot be spent, they are worth two to three times more as zinc scrap. Even with the backing and assurances of the Government which coined them and it's pronounced strong dollar policy (LOL). It is not reassuring of the future, to find one's cupeth of zinc scrap over floweth while one's faith in those who have coined it sinketh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got no room for penny's and pins :occasion14::tchest:

Last edited:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did you toss them back?
The bobby pins & pennies.
Now you are going to find them again when you go back there to hunt.

This could turn in to a vicious cycle. :tongue3:

Last edited:

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
You must be dumber than hell, tossing bobby pins back. The idea is take the trash out with you.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RJD Lives On!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be dumber than hell, tossing bobby pins back. The idea is take the trash out with you.

No need to be rude or malicious didnt have much room was using a pocket.

Last edited:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No need to be rude or malicious didnt have much room was using a pocket.

OK, then, I propose a new rule (suggestion?):

If you throw back bobby pins and corroded pennies, you have to tell us
which beach you did it on. Don't we deserve fair warning?
At least tell us which state you're doing it in.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No prob sounds fair. HH

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion Tall Tom the person(s) who should give us fair warning are those in the Government who mint US coins as well as those responsible for the welfare of young children. All Trackerman did, was inconvenience those who follow and may detect the same penny later on. It is not as if he left open holes or mined the beach with additional pennies out of spite. Parent's with small children need to be aware and warned of the damage that can occur if/when one of these sharp corroded pennies are swallowed.
Personally, I would of preferred that the corroded clad one cent pieces and bobby pins were hauled out and the coins were tossed back, especially if I knew where he hunted. But I would of done as Trackerman did, if I didn't have any more room to carry the junk - I just would not of told anyone!

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I certainly agree that it's stupid and inconsiderate for the government
to create such shoddy coins that they corrode and fall apart so quickly when
exposed to common conditions, such as salt water or dirt. (I've found some
pretty badly corroded pennies in parks, too.)

But I also believe that any time someone picks up ANY sharp object, including
corroded pennies and bobby pins, but also fish hooks, nails, can slaw, etc.,
these objects should be removed so no one gets hurt. This is especially true
on beaches, where so many people walk barefoot, and where children might
pick up objects and do something dangerous with them.

I think that's just good citizenship. Once I pick it up, it's up to me to do
the right thing with it.

Just my opinion.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing Tall

I agree with what you have stated Tom, with the exception that I would of stated it much stronger.
I would off used the word irresponsible rather than inconsiderate in the first sentence. We as citizens deserve better of our Government. I have had copper clad zinc pennies sitting on top of the window sill corrode so badly that merchants refused to accept them as legal tender. When a child dies as a result of ingesting such an improperly/poorly designed product, it would be a criminal matter, if that product came from private industry and not the Government.
Continue to stand tall Tom, if that was your position as well as your opinion , I would be 100% in support of it.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you guys are getting way off topic.

I was just busting Trackerman's chops that he would be picking up the same pennies and bobby pins he dropped next time he went out MDing . That's all.
No big moral issues or anti government.

Trackerman. I apologize that my comment somehow got your original post off track.
Happy hunting

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, then, I propose a new rule (suggestion?):

If you throw back bobby pins and corroded pennies, you have to tell us
which beach you did it on. Don't we deserve fair warning?
At least tell us which state you're doing it in.

Haha.. I watched an angry detectorist spread a bucket full of ball bearings on a popular shipwreck beach.
What a bummer that was.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all good Ace 350 . HH

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace: My reply and concurrence with Tall Tom's reply is on topic. It has nothing to do with morals nor is it anti government. It clearly is about following metal detecting etiquette and helping to keep the beaches clean and safe for all.

As a matter of clarification, I was the first to reply to this thread and bring this to the attention of TNet members as well as bust Trackerman's chops (your words). In later replies Trackerman explained that he threw the bobby pins and corroded pennies back as he did not have room to carry them out in his pockets. If any TNet member, manufacturer, or asponsor has a trash pouch which is no longer needed and cares to donate you might send Trackerman a PM . As it is my opinion that he sure could use one along with a treasure pouch. I would send him mine, but both are so badly worn that they need to be discarded and I already have their replacement on order.

Further my reply is pro government to do the right thing. It is my opinion and others that a country ends up with the government it deserves. When no one speaks up, there is no change for the better, and we are stuck with the tyranny of the status quo.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread