Another "Which machine should I buy?" thread! Muwahahahahaha

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam, however, we all have our particular set of detecting needs. I am looking for a detector that would excel in both fresh and salt water.
I have owned both an AT-Pro and and Excalibur II (10in coil) and enjoyed each for different reasons. I noticed that my AT-Pro was fantastic in fresh water but was erratic at best in the salt water. My Excal was very stable in both fresh and salt, but for fresh water I preferred my ATPro. I also preferred my ATPro on land due to its great target separation and identification (not to mention it's light). I would like my new machine to be able to double as a land machine backup for my Deus and as a detector to let friends use. I'm not looking into PI machines at this time, but will likely in the future if I dedicate more time to water hunting. As much as I liked my ATPro, I really want a machine that it going to be a winner in the salt water as much as it is in fresh.
Mineralization will be a factor as I plan on hunting the beaches of New England where I will surely encounter some challenging ground conditions.
My budget isn't a huge concern, but I would rather not shell out $2,500 on a CTX3030 unless it really is the best of both worlds.

Any advice would be fantastic, thanks in advance!

p.s.
An used machine would be great (especially if there is time left on a warranty). If anyone is looking to sell a water machine, PM me please.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If budget isn't a big concern then don't try to put it all into one machine. There just isn't a perfect do-it-machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
If budget isn't a big concern then don't try to put it all into one machine. There just isn't a perfect do-it-machine.

Perhaps an ATPro and an Excal for $400 less than a CTX3030.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing at all wrong with the Excal for the water and land if you hip mount it. You could also get a CZ-21 as it is great in fresh water and salt water. Built like a tank and can also be hip mounted or hung from your neck with the Fisher chest harness. The harness isn't listed on the web page but you can call them and order it. I use the harness and its great.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest complaint about both the Excal and the CZ-21 is the inability to change coils. The Excal you can modify to allow for this, which I'm preparing to do. But as far as factory design, a small coil can be great "sometimes" and a large coil can be great "sometimes", so as good as these two machines are they're still not perfect beach and water machines. My suggestion, buy a used one and modify it so you can change coils, upgrade the headphones, add a straight shaft, and add the remote switch. After all of this now you have a truly fantastic and very versatile beach and water machine for close to the same price as a new Excal with none of the mods and a fixed coil size. This should set you up just dandy for any beach/water conditions you might encounter.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello. My first detector was a whites mxt. I found a lot of stuff with that machine. When I saw what bling other people were finding in the water,I bought the excal 800 with the 8 inch coil. That detector works great in waist deep water, but it's small coil sucks on the wet sand for it's size. So I bought the excal 1000 with the 10 inch coil. I have had both machines for 3 years and both have paid thems selves off. I have tested the CTX along with both excals that I have and Dont' plan on up grading. My 2 cents worth, good luck Joe from Santa Barbara

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You want another machine that does more, when you find it hit me up so i can get one,

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT might be the answer if you are strictly beach/wet sand hunting and maybe knee deep surf. Same circuit as the Excal + notch I think and the ability to change coils. I guess it's discontinued now but you might find one used. Explorers and Etracs should work good on the dry and wet sand and have lots of options with aftermarket coils.

I like my Excal 1000 as my all around water machine. Some guys put the waterproof connector on it and use different coils. Other guys have both a 1000 and an 800. I have a 3030 but haven't used it in deep water yet. It worked great in the wet and dry sand on florida beaches. I think the meter will be useless in the water and like the simplicity of the Excal for water hunting.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I bought an AT-Pro for fresh water and as a backup for my Deus. Now I'm looking for an used CZ-21 or Excal for salt water.

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your choices. I have an AT Gold in addition to some other water machines and it is a great freshwater machine. I've always wanted to try one of the CZ's. Let us know how it works out.

HH

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's funny OBBF, I was thinking of getting a Dues as a back up for my AT Pro...... na just kidding but I am thinking of getting a XP, it looks like a great machine.
ZDD

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice, once you get hot on a couple of machines, RENT them, see if they work as well for you, and oxbow bring in a very valid, and accurate point about there not being a do it all machine, here's one reason why, I believe my V3I can hold its own against anything on the market, BUT.......I'll be dang if I am going to risk taking it trolling in the ocean (risk VS reward). So you really need a couple of machine IMO. Which, 2 bucks and my opinion will get you a cup of coffee (in some stores!) :BangHead: So Rent, see what you like, before you get stuck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread