All may see nothing, but I think I can see the remnants of a "V" nickel ....R I find

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All may see nothing, but I think I can see the remnants of a "V" nickel ....R I find

Hi:hello2:,

Haven't been having much luck finding beach treasures lately, but I'm having lots of fun out there.

This morning Hank and I tripped over to Rhode Island for golfing & detecting.:icon_thumleft:

The waves were impressive in their strength and enjoyable to view ; the water was a beautiful blue/ blue - green color.:hello2:

I was informed that the entire huge public beach had recently been covered with freshly sifted sand as part of Sandy's clean-up.:BangHead:

Moved way down the line out of the way, and hunted at high tide...just a few clads found including this really decrepit coin that I've been scrutinizing , hoping to ID it.:icon_scratch:

The best that I can do is to suggest that it is ( was ) a "V" nickel.

Take a look if you dare:laughing7:

Better days are comin'....I hope

Good luck out there, friends!

Lorraine

DSCF2274.JPG

Upvote 0

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes that is a 1910 V Nickel Lorraine - right next to the picture of the slug.

Just kidding - might as well be a shield nickel anyways.

HH - won't be long before I start wandering out into the cold great lakes. Still a little early for me.

Pete

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be a V nickle, because it looks just like the ones I have found! Three weeks til beaches open here and theoretically I can start water hunting, but its been so cold, ice on some lakes here still hasn't melted. Land hunting has produced only clad and an obscene pendant, so I am praying it warms up quick.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
"Yes that is a 1910 V Nickel Lorraine - right next to the picture of the slug"

:laughing7:

Pete, I wish I had found the coin on the right:walk:

Hope Michigan warms up soon for you.

Lorraine

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Lorraine, I think you are right.... I once found a slug similar to that in condition and kept it ... I found that by getting it wet and angling it in the ambient light of the kitchen I could see a feathered head....thus I decided even though I couldn't see a date, I had found my first Indian Head Penny..... you may be able to do the same with your slug... I wouldn't try electrolysis with this one though, there isn't enough left of it.....
When I first look at the photo, I swear I see an outline of lady liberty..... but then is a game my brain is playing on me?

Cliff

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lorraine, I think you are right.... I once found a slug similar to that in condition and kept it ... I found that by getting it wet and angling it in the ambient light of the kitchen I could see a feathered head....thus I decided even though I couldn't see a date, I had found my first Indian Head Penny..... you may be able to do the same with your slug... I wouldn't try electrolysis with this one though, there isn't enough left of it.....
When I first look at the photo, I swear I see an outline of lady liberty..... but then is a game my brain is playing on me?

Cliff

Hi Cliff,
Lady Liberty ( what is left of her) is what I am thinking , also. At 8:00 could be the outline of the chin:icon_scratch:, and at 11:00 could be a star:dontknow:.

I'm working on the perimeter of this "coin"...but not getting very far.

Fully aware that item is is worth less than nothing , I still love a mystery ...any mystery; thiis is my motivation to keep checking it,

It already looks like an electrolysis gone very wrong:laughing7: so I'll table that avenue of research.

HH
Lorraine

Attachments

• sholmes.jpg
    sholmes.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

Idigack

Aug 18, 2012
ACK
Detector(s) used
excal11 10 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im from ri live in mass now....whitch beach???

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

Idigack

Aug 18, 2012
ACK
Detector(s) used
excal11 10 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting...I use to haunt scarboro beach in narragansett

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cliff,
Lady Liberty ( what is left of her) is what I am thinking , also. At 8:00 could be the outline of the chin:icon_scratch:, and at 11:00 could be a star:dontknow:.

I'm working on the perimeter of this "coin"...but not getting very far.

Fully aware that item is is worth less than nothing , I still love a mystery ...any mystery; thiis is my motivation to keep checking it,

It already looks like an electrolysis gone very wrong:laughing7: so I'll table that avenue of research.

HH"
Lorraine
I analyze my finds to the point that sometimes I say "What am I doing?"...but its fun.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The front profile does indeed look like a V nickel, have no idea what the date might be.
You should be able to verify it is indeed a nickel from the lower tone of your Sovereign.
Because of the rough surface and irregularities it would be less clean than a modern nickel which you can use for calibration if the alloys are the same.
As she has been so badly battered, she could be almost anything you wished her to be.
“BEAUTY IS INTERNAL - LOOKS MEAN NOTHING”

From Kilos Rules:

NEVER JUDGE A DAY BY THE WEATHER

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS

TELL THE TRUTH-THERE'S LESS TO REMEMBER

SPEAK SOFTLY AND
WEAR A LOUD SHIRT

GOALS ARE RELATIVE -
THE UNAIMED
ARROW NEVER
MISSES.

HE WHO DIES
WITH THE MOST TOYS -
STILL DIES

AGE IS RELATIVE -
WHEN YOU'RE OVER
THE HILL YOU PICK UP
SPEED.

THERE ARE 2 WAYS
TO BE RICH - MAKE
MORE OR DESIRE LESS.

BEAUTY IS INTERNAL -
LOOKS MEAN
NOTHING.

NO RAIN - NO
RAINBOWS

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodpost.gif
Lorraine
interesting.gif

Good luck next trip
trip.gif

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Is it very thin? Rotate it and check reverse for hogge/ship logo, The salt is like fertilizer, but sand can be good until air hits it. I believe I have the Sommer Islands 2 and three pence in last two months, ie brass with silver coating found in a hole left by persons unknown on the beach, in 1999 I found this 3 with all the marks but "unknown variety" perhaps? Much here is nuggets in shape of hogge with roman numerals. HH Boris 20130426_155821-1.jpg 20130426_173002.jpg 20130222_112827.jpg

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That is a terrific find, Boris!

Thank you for the info, Boris...I'll recheck this item.

Lorraine

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
The front profile does indeed look like a V nickel, have no idea what the date might be.
You should be able to verify it is indeed a nickel from the lower tone of your Sovereign.
Because of the rough surface and irregularities it would be less clean than a modern nickel which you can use for calibration if the alloys are the same.
As she has been so badly battered, she could be almost anything you wished her to be.
“BEAUTY IS INTERNAL - LOOKS MEAN NOTHING”

From Kilos Rules:

NEVER JUDGE A DAY BY THE WEATHER

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS

TELL THE TRUTH-THERE'S LESS TO REMEMBER

SPEAK SOFTLY AND
WEAR A LOUD SHIRT

GOALS ARE RELATIVE -
THE UNAIMED
ARROW NEVER
MISSES.

HE WHO DIES
WITH THE MOST TOYS -
STILL DIES

AGE IS RELATIVE -
WHEN YOU'RE OVER
THE HILL YOU PICK UP
SPEED.

THERE ARE 2 WAYS
TO BE RICH - MAKE
MORE OR DESIRE LESS.

BEAUTY IS INTERNAL -
LOOKS MEAN
NOTHING.

NO RAIN - NO
RAINBOWS

"IF YOU DIE BROKE, YOU TIMED IT JUST RIGHT" :icon_thumleft:

L

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lorraine, did you make it up as far as Newport, RI?

Hi Professor,

No, unfortunately we ran out of time.

Newport is a great place; I've been there for the Jazz Festivals, but have never detected in that area.

Maybe some day I will try it.

Lorraine

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I like to see great finds close to my backyard I'm over the border in the attleboro area happy hunting keep the great finds comin in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread