In The Zone with Bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the zone, it happens every time I slip those headphones on, peace and quite and the freedom to let my thoughts roam wherever they wish without interruption, completely oblivious to the stressful world beyond my immediate space. I love it! To bad you can experience bad days even when you’re in your favorite zone. Such is the case one beautiful Saturday morning as I was doing a little water hunting on Florida’s East Coast.

It’s not very often that we experience flat seas and clear water on this coast, usually it’s always fairly rough and the water is stained with churned up sand, but on this day it was absolutely a beautiful day to be in the water and the conditions were perfect to do some detecting. So, on go the headphones and a few moments later I was chest deep in the unusually clear and clam waters beyond the first sand bar. In that favorite zone for sure.

Fishing weights, I’ve grown to hate them. Especially the ones with those wires sticking out all around them. Most fishing weights are usually fairly deep and they take quite a bit of effort to retrieve, and the ones with those spider-like wires, these are real pains in butts because that are difficult to capture in the scoop. But the very worst of the lot are the fishing weights with the leaders and hooks still hooked to them. With this later scenario you run into all sorts of complications, sometimes the buried leaders keep pulling the weight back out of the scoop and other times the exposed hooks will drag across your toes or feet as you begin to the raise the scoop containing the captured weight. Dangerous, to say the least.

On this morning it was so nice in the water I had decided to parallel hunt the trough between the first and second sandbar since the tide was extremely low and the water conditions were so great, an event and opportunity we might only see a few times all year here on the East Coast. Needless to say, I had decided to take full advantage of the rare opportunity. For the most part this was unhunted territory and my expectations were running fairly high, glimmers of gold already dashing about in my little head. And suddenly there was that first tone, a nice solid mid-tone that excited my instincts and senses.

A fishing weight, with some line and the leader still attached, took me four tries before I was able to capture the darn thing in the scoop without it being pulled back out by the trailing leader and hooks. Yep, this one had two hooks as this is the traditional setup along this coast. Took a few minutes to wad the assembly up so it wouldn’t eventually uncoil and spring back out of my finds pouch. These things are such a pain and I hate them with a passion.

The next ten minutes had netted me a couple of coins and one junk toe ring and then suddenly another solid mid-tone, which unfortunately turned to be exactly like the first, another sinker with line and leader and hooks, this one being even harder to capture then the first. And from here it only got worse. After two hours and what seemed like a mile of hunting that trough I finally existed the water with a handful of coins, a few token finds, and over “a dozen” of those fishing assembles, some of them coming out of that sandy bottom like there struggling fish attached to the hooks. I was whipped and disheartened a bit, but even with all the weights it had still been a couple of enjoyable hours of being in the zone. As I walked back to the truck I felt completely at peace and totally relaxed despite being completely worn out.

As I was driving off the beach I ran into Rich, one of the beach patrol guys that I exchange conversation with on occasion. I was going to tell Rich about all the hooks and weights and make some small talk in regards how I can’t believe swimmers don’t routinely exist the water with hooks in their feet but I could tall Rich was already having a bad day. So, when I finally pulled up beside him our short conversation went something like this;

“Hey, Rich. Look’s like you’ve had a bad day already.” Rich shook his head as if in total disbelief of what he was about to tell me, and then he replied after exhausting a deep breath of frustration, “Yep. Apparently some troublemaker went wading between the sand bars this morning cutting everyone’s fishing lines so he could steal all their hooks and sinkers!” :o (Just a little humor from the far side. :laughing7:)

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
OK, YOU GOT ME ON THAT ONE! I ENJOYED THE LAUGH.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good one Big Scoop, which will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago, mid-1980’s as I recall, I ran across a story of buried treasure that involved a man named, Billy Miggs. As the story went, Billy was rather a shady character with an outgoing and likeable personality. Back in the fifties Billy was said to be running moonshine all up and down the East Coast of Florida, along with whatever else he could run that would net him a handsome profit. Now without giving up the exact location it was further said that at the end of every month Billy would drive to a secluded spot on the East Coast and he would bury part of his fortune in mason jars in a secret location somewhere among the sand dunes. This he did because he feared the law would eventually catch up with him one day and he wanted to make certain that he had money put back when he finally got of prison. And this is the basic story of the Billy Miggs treasure that still survives today in a few of the surrounding communities where Billy once operated and lived.

Over the years I’ve spent endless hours researching this treasure mystery and there just seemed to be enough air of truth to this legend that I’ve continued my research right up to the present. One of the things I knew I had to obtain before any actual hunting was a larger coil and a quality machine, after spending about $3000.00 I finally felt that I had an adequate setup to least offer me a realistic chance. And so it was that about a year ago the actual hunting began. Well, last week, after endless days enduring blazing hot suns, rain, wind, hunger, and an extremely high gasoline bill, I finally found that first Billy Miggs Mason jar!

The jar was about two feet down, most likely it had originally been buried deeper but due to some erosion of the dunes it was now closer to the surface then before. The lid to the jar was also badly rusted, the glass being all scratched up and caked with that hard white reside one might expect after so many years of being buried in the sand. When I picked the jar up it felt pretty light so I knew it was most likely filled with dollar bills instead of coins and I was silently hoping they were all hundreds! After about ten minutes of working the lid loose I finally got the jar open to discover a piece of paper inside that was rolled up like a scroll, even had the little ribbon tied around it. This is what the paper said when I read it to myself; “I, Billy Miggs, started this rumor in 1953 just to see if anyone was gullible enough to believe it. Apparently you’re the only one!” :o

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
LOL!!!...YOU WEREN'T THE ONLY ONE GULLIBLE ENOUGH TO BELIEVE IT, JUST THE ONLY ONE DETERMINED ENOUGH TO FIND IT!

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wheres billy today ? locked up, in da hood or has he passed on

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please,......don't encourage him!!!!!!:laughing7: nice reads!

chuck.

What.....:laughing7:......I just go through periods where I need to entertain the lighter side of this hobby. Question; Am I the only one who's given every piece of his detecting equipment a woman's name? I just realized this the other day. My detector is named Gretchen, my new 12 x 15 coil is named, Sheila, my 8” coil is named, Annie, and the vehicle that takes me to the beach is named, Deloris. Heck, the computer I’m typing this out on is named, Abby. My favorite beach scoop is named, Bertha, and my favorite wetsuit is named, Rita. I need to take Betty off so I can scratch my head and think about this. I may need to go see a shrink. Could be I have too many women in my life?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By 6am this morning I already had 12 pieces of gold in my hand, but then the alarm clock went off and totally ruined that hunt! :BangHead:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellas, I spent three hours on the beach last night at low tide with my new 12 x 15 SEF coil and I gotta tell ya, that thing is a pretty deep hunter! The pennies were deeper, the can slaw was deeper, the pull tabs were deeper, the beer cans were deeper,..........:BangHead::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread