Just picked up a whites dual field Pi first day out for testing.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lately I've been getting into beach hunting more and more and picked up a dual field from whites. I must say for a pi its a good one and pretty deep as well. I hit a beach I go to on occasion to test it out. To start with the machine is pretty light and well balanced. The coil is 12 inches but skims pretty well in the water and behaves well as far as not moving to much with the waves. The headphones were a bit uncomfortable after 5 hours of use. My right ear was hurting a bit. I suspect from the headphones being very solidly built and have a tight fit. Hopefully they will loosen up a bit with use. Also the area where ones elbow fits was rubbing a bit on a vein in my arm . Which I later adjusted a bit. As far as the smoothness on the wet sand it was overall pretty good with an occasional blip. I had it on the factory triangle presets . It was an ok hunt found some clad and had a decent amount of targets in dry and wet sand. Overall I like the machine a lot. I also have a Tesoro sand shark pi and I must admit the headphones on the Tesoro are much more comfortable than the whites and the sand shark is a bit smoother on wet sand than the whites dual field Pi. But both are good detectors and a great value for a person looking for a good pi. Happy hunting to all cant wait for the next beach trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I should have added that the Sand Shark isn't that bad on the beaches of mine that it worked on... deeper than VLFs anyway... but it drastically loses depth on small gold. Try testing the Sand Shark with a 1 gram, or even .5 gram ring and you will see what I mean.

For goodness sake "AKA Nameless," you back up on yourself so much I think you need a "Backup Alarm!" Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep..

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do hunting Cali is a lot harder than hunting places like Florida where theres no waves. il tell ya the waves here will try to knock you down and bury the hole all in one shot. Nothen like hunting with a pi on the beach though. They really let you hunt the wet sand without too much noise fuss or trouble. HH

Last edited:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of my friendships with Vince Gifford and Rusty Henry, if the Sand Shark was not as good or better than any other beach PI costing twice as much, I wouldn't say it was. The Sand Shark finds "small gold" just as well as the Dual Field, Sea Hunter, Infinium or TDI. Again, the difference in sensitivity to small targets between 15us and 20us is nill - nadda - nothing. The 20us of the Sand Shark makes it MORE stable in heavy black sand and at depth in Saltwater than the Dual Field. :occasion14:

Terry... don't make me buy another Sand Shark just so I can make a video proving to you that it was useless on some of my beaches. You have no idea what you are talking about... or just have no idea what really hot ground is like. No matter what setting I tried, it saw the whole ground as a target, overload every sweep, walked all the way down the beach and got same results. This beach has very heavy black sand, and takes finesse to balance any of my machines on, but a PI being killed by the ground that my CZ21 runs perfect on... inexcusable.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry... don't make me buy another Sand Shark just so I can make a video proving to you that it was useless on some of my beaches. You have no idea what you are talking about... or just have no idea what really hot ground is like. No matter what setting I tried, it saw the whole ground as a target, overload every sweep, walked all the way down the beach and got same results. This beach has very heavy black sand, and takes finesse to balance any of my machines on, but a PI being killed by the ground that my CZ21 runs perfect on... inexcusable.

I know "Hot" ground very well as a gold prospector and a beach detector. I also know when someone is just full of, well, "it."

Attachments

• DesertShark.jpg
    DesertShark.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 86
  • BeachShark.jpg
    BeachShark.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 81

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had the same result in Kauai...very mineralized there. Terry, have you put "200 hours" in on Hawaii beaches? :laughing9:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've yet to find a beach on the "west coast" that affects my shark, rest assured, i've hunted aplenty. :D

As for Hawaii, know a fella quite well, who hunts it almost daily, with his shark, has no problems.
Same can be said with Costa Rica, and the black sand volcanoes which make up all the beaches on the pacific.

Maybe we're just lucky like that. :D

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the same result in Kauai...very mineralized there. Terry, have you put "200 hours" in on Hawaii beaches? :laughing9:

How many times are you going to put your paw in your mouth Moke? Jeez dude..

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
THE DIFFERENCE IN 20us and 15us is Hugh as is the DIFFERENCE IN 10us of the Aquasound that Eric Foster hand tuned. He invented pulse machines and understood how sensitive a machine had to be under different conditions to be successful. THAT IS WHY WHITES BOUGHT HIS DESIGN AND MARKETED IT AS THE DUEL FIELD.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know "Hot" ground very well as a gold prospector and a beach detector. I also know when someone is just full of, well, "it."

We both know that even if the Sand Shark didn't work in Arizona, you would never admit it. If you can't acknowledge the importance of the sample delay of a PI machine, well... maybe you should read up on how a PI works...

If you are ever in San Diego, I will take you to a few beaches that render the Sand Shark useless, then I'll let you borrow the Infinium. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• black sand.jpg
    black sand.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE DIFFERENCE IN 20us and 15us is Hugh as is the DIFFERENCE IN 10us of the Aquasound that Eric Foster hand tuned. He invented pulse machines and understood how sensitive a machine had to be under different conditions to be successful. THAT IS WHY WHITES BOUGHT HIS DESIGN AND MARKETED IT AS THE DUEL FIELD.

But we must be made to understand: the little electronic board firmly hot-glued into the Sand Shark case does not bow to the mere laws of physics to which other Pulse Induction metal detectors are shackled. It supercedes the natural laws and can excel even in conditions whereby seemingly scientifically it shouldn't: at least that's what some want you to believe. Those "Ground Balance" and "Pulse Delay" controls are meaningless, yet an "Audio Frequency" control provides exactly what a detectorist needs. I should've tuned my SS (when I had it) to 293.66 Hz; I love the key of D; maybe it could've played "Pachelbel's Canon." :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Couple more recent shark finds ... 32 gram 14K Bracelet, 1.6 gram 18K and 6.3 Gram Pt900.

The lil 'ol electronics board continues to produce. :D

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 106

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't know "Hugh," but I do know what I'm talking about. 10us is FAR to unstable on 90-percent of US beaches (chatters more than my Mother-n-law), and is VERY unstable in more than four-feet of saltwater. Get Mr. Foster on the phone and talk to him and "Hugh," and see what they tell you. LMAO! The pulse delay argument is a complete red herring!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But we must be made to understand: the little electronic board firmly hot-glued into the Sand Shark case does not bow to the mere laws of physics to which other Pulse Induction metal detectors are shackled. It supercedes the natural laws and can excel even in conditions whereby seemingly scientifically it shouldn't: at least that's what some want you to believe. Those "Ground Balance" and "Pulse Delay" controls are meaningless, yet an "Audio Frequency" control provides exactly what a detectorist needs. I should've tuned my SS (when I had it) to 293.66 Hz; I love the key of D; maybe it could've played "Pachelbel's Canon." :thumbsup:

Let's see, you have less than 24-hours experience on a "broken out of the box" Sand Shark, but YOU are ready to take us all to school? Nuff said. 8-)

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how "hot" the Sand Shark is (some are just a little better than others, not sure why) it will get you 10 to 12 inches on a 7gm 14kt. gold band in most wet salt conditions. That is pretty good---and most targets will be located in those depths---which explains why some users have great success with the Sand Shark.

Not 1 in 20 detectorists will take the simple expedient of actually burying a difficult target at depth and testing the machine on that target.

I am not sure why someone would suggest that a Sand Shark manufactured in 2005 with interchangeable coils is not as good as a "new" Sand Shark manufactured with the coil hard wired. Do Sand Shark circuits wear out that quickly? Does the "lifetime warranty" offered by Tesoro not extend to making sure the unit tests to specs? Mine went back to Tesoro...and was returned as "operating to specs"...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on how "hot" the Sand Shark is (some are just a little better than others, not sure why) it will get you 10 to 12 inches on a 7gm 14kt. gold band in most wet salt conditions. That is pretty good---and most targets will be located in those depths---which explains why some users have great success with the Sand Shark....

Uh-oh! Another forum member backing up on themselves! I can hear the alarm from here in New York! Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep.. :laughing7:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know "Hugh," but I do know what I'm talking about. 10us is FAR to unstable on 90-percent of US beaches (chatters more than my Mother-n-law), and is VERY unstable in more than four-feet of saltwater. Get Mr. Foster on the phone and talk to him and "Hugh," and see what they tell you. LMAO! The pulse delay argument is a complete red herring!

Let's see, you have less than 24-hours experience on a "broken out of the box" Sand Shark, but YOU are ready to take us all to school? Nuff said.
cool.gif

Great point Terry. My experience with the SS (or lack thereof, as you claim) definitely changes how the laws of physics apply to the Sand Shark. If I have only 24 hours experience (which is a poor assumption), certainly Pulse delay or ground balance on a PI are "red herrings."

You seem to know way more than Eric Foster and others who have degrees in EE and knowledge of electronic circuitry. I wonder how you gained such a vast knowledge; and, apparently you have been on at least 90% of America's beaches. How were the beaches of San Diego and Longbeach, WA (where there is so much black sand the beach is nearly black?) How did the SS perform on those beaches? I am sure others are curious as well..... please enlighten us yet again! And please expound on how pulse delay affects a PI detector's stability on beaches. I am curious to see what you know about it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If both these machines were to cost the same and have the same waranty, which would you buy?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If both these machines were to cost the same and have the same waranty, which would you buy?

Tesoro Sand Shark every time. Why? Weight, ease of use, durability, results.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL
Hey folks,
Just go out and bury that 5 to 7 gm. 14kt. + gold ring at 12 to 13 inches and see how 'OL Sharky detects it...
Don't believe me...
Don't believe the salesmen pushing their little websites...
Don't believe the fan club members (LOL)...

Just go out and bury some real gold at a little better than a foot and see what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions