Just picked up a whites dual field Pi first day out for testing.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lately I've been getting into beach hunting more and more and picked up a dual field from whites. I must say for a pi its a good one and pretty deep as well. I hit a beach I go to on occasion to test it out. To start with the machine is pretty light and well balanced. The coil is 12 inches but skims pretty well in the water and behaves well as far as not moving to much with the waves. The headphones were a bit uncomfortable after 5 hours of use. My right ear was hurting a bit. I suspect from the headphones being very solidly built and have a tight fit. Hopefully they will loosen up a bit with use. Also the area where ones elbow fits was rubbing a bit on a vein in my arm . Which I later adjusted a bit. As far as the smoothness on the wet sand it was overall pretty good with an occasional blip. I had it on the factory triangle presets . It was an ok hunt found some clad and had a decent amount of targets in dry and wet sand. Overall I like the machine a lot. I also have a Tesoro sand shark pi and I must admit the headphones on the Tesoro are much more comfortable than the whites and the sand shark is a bit smoother on wet sand than the whites dual field Pi. But both are good detectors and a great value for a person looking for a good pi. Happy hunting to all cant wait for the next beach trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trackerman:

I would be very interested in an objective evaluation of both PIs. What I am trying to identify and isolate are the specific advantage(s) each PI has.

What I want to know is under which condition(s) each PI excels.

As I base my purchasing decision on ease of use and performance warranty and price are not a concern.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in comparison between the whites Dual field and the Tesoro Sand Shark lets see. Right off the bat the Sand Shark has a bit longer battery life. The Sand shark is a bit smoother and more quiet in wet sand. The head phones are way more comfortable on the Sand shark. As far as sensitivity on small objects I'd say there pretty close. The detectors controls are a bit nicer on the sand sharks as far as volume etc. Also the main box i would say on the sand shark is a bit more durable and solid as far as i can see as well.Now for the whites dual field depth wise it has a slight advantage because of the 12 inch coil vs the sand sharks 10 inch coil but not much.
The dual field is also a bit more well balanced and less top heavy. It feels a bit lighter than the Shark. Also the coil on the dual field stays in place a bit better than the sand sharks. That's pretty much it for the difference between the two.
To be honest with you I would say you can't go wrong with eighter one . HH

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lately I've been getting into beach hunting more and more and picked up a dual field from whites. I must say for a pi its a good one and pretty deep as well. I hit a beach I go to on occasion to test it out. To start with the machine is pretty light and well balanced. The coil is 12 inches but skims pretty well in the water and behaves well as far as not moving to much with the waves. The headphones were a bit uncomfortable after 5 hours of use. My right ear was hurting a bit. I suspect from the headphones being very solidly built and have a tight fit. Hopefully they will loosen up a bit with use. Also the area where ones elbow fits was rubbing a bit on a vein in my arm . Which I later adjusted a bit. As far as the smoothness on the wet sand it was overall pretty good with an occasional blip. I had it on the factory triangle presets . It was an ok hunt found some clad and had a decent amount of targets in dry and wet sand. Overall I like the machine a lot. I also have a Tesoro sand shark pi and I must admit the headphones on the Tesoro are much more comfortable than the whites and the sand shark is a bit smoother on wet sand than the whites dual field Pi. But both are good detectors and a great value for a person looking for a good pi. Happy hunting to all cant wait for the next beach trip.

Do yourself a favor...take both units to the beach next time. Bury a 14 kt. gold band at 12 to 13 inches in the wet sand. Measure to make sure you are getting down to at least a foot. Test both detectors on the target. Run the Dual Field as hot as you like...even with a substantially "grainy" threshold, good targets will jump through.
You will get used to the headphones on the Dual Field. Once you test the two detectors in the real world and see the results, one of the machines will remain firmly a back-up.
The Dual Field is a substantially deeper seeking detector on gold items than the Sand Shark. I am talking about 3 to 5 inches deeper. Don't be fooled by testing on higher conductive items. Test on real gold. 14 kt. +.

Don't believe me. Do the test for yourself.

Last edited:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I own both and both are good machines. With a straight shaft added the Duel Field is a pleasure to use and deeper on gold. The Sand Shark has the adjustable tones so if you have trouble hearing certain tones you can adjust to what you can hear best. Sand Shark is a bit lighter and well balanced from the factory. As with all machines some coils are just hotter than others. Luck of the draw . Buy three machines of any brand and one coil out of the bunch just will not do as well as the other two. Of the two, my favorite is the Duel Field and is my go to machine when in water over knee deep and not too much iron present. Excal when in lots of iron.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you Jolly Mon I've got the dual field set up on the factory preset triangles. Just curious where do you set your gain and pulse timing. I really like the Dual field and do now it goes pretty deep. The Sand shark has a bit less depth but performs very well on wet sand and has a vco mode for faint targets wich is nice and a regular hunting mode as well . . To be honest with you I most likely will alternate between the two
To see the results of each machine find wise.. What was interesting was a while back my sand shark picked up on a small chain in the wet sand and I must say that was pretty impressive knowing that manny detectors won't pick up on small chains but I have no doubt the dual field will perform well too. Frankly I love pi,s for the beach and don't mind digging all targets at all. HH

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you Jolly Mon I've got the dual field set up on the factory preset triangles. Just curious where do you set your gain and pulse timing. I really like the Dual field and do now it goes pretty deep. The Sand shark has a bit less depth but performs very well on wet sand and has a vco mode for faint targets wich is nice and a regular hunting mode as well . . To be honest with you I most likely will alternate between the two
To see the results of each machine find wise.. What was interesting was a while back my sand shark picked up on a small chain in the wet sand and I must say that was pretty impressive knowing that manny detectors won't pick up on small chains but I have no doubt the dual field will perform well too. Frankly I love pi,s for the beach and don't mind digging all targets at all. HH

I like to run my pulse delay as low as possible and back off on the gain if necessary...or crank up the gain if possible from preset. It just depends on conditions. You don't want the signal to be extremely "grainy" and unstable, but a little waver is all right. It just depends on conditions. The Dual Field, with its large "antenna" and high sensitivity, is somewhat susceptible to outside interference. In those situations, you just have to back off on the gain until you get out of the bad area. One resort I like to detect has an antenna farm on the roof and when I am close to it, I really have to back off the gain. In the water, things change as well...

As far as the Sand Shark and small gold chains, I have not found the machine to be sensitive to them at all---even with the small 7 inch coil attached. If they are gold washed and not "real" gold, then yes, the Sand Shark will eat them up...as will every other detector. Grab some small gold studs, chains or hoop earrings of 14kt + and take them to the beach. Place the coil flat on the sand and drop the small gold items on top of the coil and see what you find...I think you may be surprised. If the chain has a large charm attached or has a large clasp this makes it MUCH easier for the detector to "see".

Incidentally, another big advantage of the Dual Field over the Sand Shark is the ability to differentiate ferrous targets from non-ferrous targets. You definitely do NOT have to "dig it all" with a good pulse. Iron items have a much wider signal...and they are more difficult to pinpoint...they almost seem to move under the coil. The Sand Shark, in VCO mode especially, does not do this as well. Even in normal mode, it is sometimes very difficult for me to pick out iron items with the Sand Shark. The Dual Field is MUCH better at this. Why? Simply because the machine is more sensitive...it allows you to hear the difference in the types of signal...with practice, you will dig very little iron with the Dual Field.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to run my pulse delay as low as possible and back off on the gain if necessary...or crank up the gain if possible from preset. It just depends on conditions. You don't want the signal to be extremely "grainy" and unstable, but a little waver is all right. It just depends on conditions. The Dual Field, with its large "antenna" and high sensitivity, is somewhat susceptible to outside interference. In those situations, you just have to back off on the gain until you get out of the bad area. One resort I like to detect has an antenna farm on the roof and when I am close to it, I really have to back off the gain. In the water, things change as well...

As far as the Sand Shark and small gold chains, I have not found the machine to be sensitive to them at all---even with the small 7 inch coil attached. If they are gold washed and not "real" gold, then yes, the Sand Shark will eat them up...as will every other detector. Grab some small gold studs, chains or hoop earrings of 14kt + and take them to the beach. Place the coil flat on the sand and drop the small gold items on top of the coil and see what you find...I think you may be surprised. If the chain has a large charm attached or has a large clasp this makes it MUCH easier for the detector to "see".

Incidentally, another big advantage of the Dual Field over the Sand Shark is the ability to differentiate ferrous targets from non-ferrous targets. You definitely do NOT have to "dig it all" with a good pulse. Iron items have a much wider signal...and they are more difficult to pinpoint...they almost seem to move under the coil. The Sand Shark, in VCO mode especially, does not do this as well. Even in normal mode, it is sometimes very difficult for me to pick out iron items with the Sand Shark. The Dual Field is MUCH better at this. Why? Simply because the machine is more sensitive...it allows you to hear the difference in the types of signal...with practice, you will dig very little iron with the Dual Field.

Interesting OPINION, but not factual. First, the Dual Field is no more sensitve than the 8" Sand Shark (never seen a 7" Shark!). The Sand Shark gives the same indications on iron and bobbypins as the Dual Field - both take practice. Because the Sand Shark uses a slightly longer pulse delay it is MUCH more stable both on the wet sand, and especially in the water. The Sand Shark controls are ALL on the outside, offers TWO modes, and allows you to adjust your signal tone. It is less expenseive, has better battery life, and has a LIFETIME warranty.

That is MY opinion.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say i found boby pins with both and both are pretty sensitive machines. I think there both nice machines and a pleasure to use. I was reading somewhere a chap mentioning about setting the dual fields gain to about 2pm and the pulse timing to about 7pm and thresh preference prefered. As far as chains on the sand shark ive found thin wires chaines even real small stuff with the shark and also found small stuff with the dual field. Both are excelent pi,s at a decent price. HH

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a dual field, a time or two ... I found the wagon wheel sized coil floppy, heavy, and floated, making it tough for normal use. Tones for iron were no different than any other PI. I noticed no actual depth difference with it vs the shark. As far as gold, depth, and the shark, i've never had any problems locating small, mid, or large gold, at great depths with mine. If it went any deeper, i'd have to get a backhoe, as the 'ol back couldn't take it much more.

Eyeball my signature line, on the fan page --- take a look at all the gold found, especially the small gold, that the shark 'doesn't/cant' find. :D

Both are fine machines. In this users eye, the shark wins based on my actual usage and results, and my preference for warranty, and operation.

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil on the dual field is actually pretty nice and stable in the water for it bieng a large 12 inch coil. It does stay in place much better than the Sand Sharks 10 inch coil wich moves around abit and likes to float a little more than the dual fields .But if i was to hunt more than 5 hours at the beach or a lake the headphones and controls are much more confortable on the Sand Sharks . The Vco mode is also nice on the Shark it gives you a idea on deeper faint targets. Now the funny thing is when i was digging targets with the shark and dual field the depth was pretty close. I think its because pi,s might actually go a bit deeper on an actuall target verses an air test.
But i will try to tweak the dual fields settings next time a bit higher to see what major difference if any in depth between the 2

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil on the dual field is actually pretty nice and stable in the water for it bieng a large 12 inch coil. It does stay in place much better than the Sand Sharks 10 inch coil wich moves around abit and likes to float a little more than the dual fields .But if i was to hunt more than 5 hours at the beach or a lake the headphones and controls are much more confortable on the Sand Sharks . The Vco mode is also nice on the Shark it gives you a idea on deeper faint targets. Now the funny thing is when i was digging targets with the shark and dual field the depth was pretty close. I think its because pi,s might actually go a bit deeper on an actuall target verses an air test.
But i will try to tweak the dual fields settings next time a bit higher to see what major difference if any in depth between the 2

I am looking forward to your results.

Just tie a good stout piece of fishing line or some dental floss to that 14 kt.+ gold ring before you bury it. Get the ring down good and deep---down to at least a measured foot. I am not trying to sound like a "know it all", but don't just go detecting and "assume" that one unit is as deep as another because of the high conductive targets you dig...you might be amazed at the difference in detectable depth between a sterling silver ring and a 14 kt. gold ring of similar weight. Hunting for jewelry at the beach is all about nailing those deep, low conductors---pulse delay is critical in this regard---and one of these units allows you to get down to 10us...essentially as low as you can go in a beach environment because of the mineralization inherit in salt water.

The Dual Field, properly tuned for conditions is legitimately capable of achieving depths of 15 to 16 inches on a 7 gram 14kt. ring in the wet salt.

Very few detectors can do this. Very Few.

Bury some iron objects at shallower depths as well to see how they respond.

Identifying iron with these units has nothing to do with "tones"...LOL...It has to do with signal breadth and signal carry and whether or not the signal mimics ground mineralization (ferrous) or does not (non ferrous). Trust me, it is not nearly as hard as it sounds. Plus, there is the characteristic "double-blip", usually indicative of valueless, elongated targets (I will make the assumption you are not hunting for relics).

For those whose experience does not extend to the 7" coil manufactured by Tesoro for the Sand Shark, here is a picture of mine:

ss 7 75.png

Shark coils.png 7", 8", 10.25"

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Jolly Mon will do those are respectable depths on the dual field and thats one of the reasons i got the dual field. Because ive heard good things about it and i am a fan of Whites of corse. I wasnt interested in the excalibur from minelab because its way over priced and frankly less quality than the Dual field or the Sand Shark. Given the excalibur is a good beach machine. But i know for a fact the Dual field is deeper than the excalibur . The sand Shark and the Dual Field together should be a mighty force to recon with at the beach. HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking forward to your results.

Just tie a good stout piece of fishing line or some dental floss to that 14 kt.+ gold ring before you bury it. Get the ring down good and deep---down to at least a measured foot. I am not trying to sound like a "know it all", but don't just go detecting and "assume" that one unit is as deep as another because of the high conductive targets you dig...you might be amazed at the difference in detectable depth between a sterling silver ring and a 14 kt. gold ring of similar weight. Hunting for jewelry at the beach is all about nailing those deep, low conductors---pulse delay is critical in this regard---and one of these units allows you to get down to 10us...essentially as low as you can go in a beach environment because of the mineralization inherit in salt water.

The Dual Field, properly tuned for conditions is legitimately capable of achieving depths of 15 to 16 inches on a 7 gram 14kt. ring in the wet salt.

Very few detectors can do this. Very Few.

Bury some iron objects at shallower depths as well to see how they respond.

Identifying iron with these units has nothing to do with "tones"...LOL...It has to do with signal breadth and signal carry and whether or not the signal mimics ground mineralization (ferrous) or does not (non ferrous). Trust me, it is not nearly as hard as it sounds. Plus, there is the characteristic "double-blip", usually indicative of valueless, elongated targets (I will make the assumption you are not hunting for relics).

For those whose experience does not extend to the 7" coil manufactured by Tesoro for the Sand Shark, here is a picture of mine:

View attachment 801082

View attachment 801083 7", 8", 10.25"

Get a NEW Sand Shark (Hardwired), which is just as capable as the Dual Field is at finding a 7-gram gold ring at 15"-16" - which I have. The two machines are EQUAL in depth, double beeps and everything else - Except cost, ease of use, and warranty. Tesoro is superior in all three of those cases.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a NEW Sand Shark (Hardwired), which is just as capable as the Dual Field is at finding a 7-gram gold ring at 15"-16" - which I have. The two machines are EQUAL in depth, double beeps and everything else - Except cost, ease of use, and warranty. Tesoro is superior in all three of those cases.

Terry,

Have you used the Dual Field for "200 hours" in order to make a just comparison? :laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the Dual field enough to know what I'm talking about Mokey. Show us YOUR gold. :laughing7:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying a Sand Shark instead of a Dual Field is like buying a Toyota Corolla instead of a Ferrari... Yeah the Corolla has nice reliability, nice warranty, good mpg, and a good price... but it will never have the performance of the Ferrari... and the Ferrari owner could care less about anything but performance.

I owned the Sand Shark in the past, if you live in California with our highly mineralized ground, the Sand Shark just plain won't work on some ground, it sees the whole ground as a target. No Pulse Delay or ground balancing is a fatal flaw.

Jolly Mon is correct that the Sand Shark is poor on small gold as well, it's all tied to the long preset pulse delay.

Terry uses all Tesoro machines, and is friends with the owner of the company... his "opinion" may be slightly biased.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny I own both and the sand shark is quite a bit smoother in wet sand than the dual field and I live in Cali and have had no troubles with mineralization or black sand. Now the dual field is a bit deeper and for 200 dollars more you should expect that it would be..The headphones on the dual field will kill your ears and head after about 5 hours there strung pretty tight and the volume controls are nicer on the sand shark. I will also say the main box and the water tight latches are beefier and more heavy duty on the sand shark as well. But both are good pi's with there differences.

Last edited:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I should have added that the Sand Shark isn't that bad on the beaches of mine that it worked on... deeper than VLFs anyway... but it drastically loses depth as the gold gets smaller. Try testing the Sand Shark with a 1 gram, or even .5 gram ring and you will see what I mean.

I just hate to see Terry constantly trying to convince people that the Sand Shark is as good as the other PIs on the market, which just isn't the case. Pulse delay is a very important control on a PI, especially if it doesn't have ground balancing. Without Pulse Delay, if you get onto of ground that needs an even longer delay... you end up with an machine you can't use on some beaches, which is what happened on the beaches of San Diego. I prefer ground balancing PIs now which allows me to keep Pulse Delay at minimum and still have perfectly steady threshold on hot ground.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buying a Sand Shark instead of a Dual Field is like buying a Toyota Corolla instead of a Ferrari... Yeah the Corolla has nice reliability, nice warranty, good mpg, and a good price... but it will never have the performance of the Ferrari... and the Ferrari owner could care less about anything but performance.

I owned the Sand Shark in the past, if you live in California with our highly mineralized ground, the Sand Shark just plain won't work on some ground, it sees the whole ground as a target. No Pulse Delay or ground balancing is a fatal flaw.

Jolly Mon is correct that the Sand Shark is poor on small gold as well, it's all tied to the long preset pulse delay.

Terry uses all Tesoro machines, and is friends with the owner of the company... his "opinion" may be slightly biased.

Regardless of my friendships with Vince Gifford and Rusty Henry, if the Sand Shark was not as good or better than any other beach PI costing twice as much, I wouldn't say it was. The Sand Shark finds "small gold" just as well as the Dual Field, Sea Hunter, Infinium or TDI. Again, the difference in sensitivity to small targets between 15us and 20us is nill - nadda - nothing. The 20us of the Sand Shark makes it MORE stable in heavy black sand and at depth in Saltwater than the Dual Field. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread