Honeymoon Island State park Heads up guys!!!!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
First this isn't a complaint or a gripe about the park, but information from my visit today.
Well, several weeks ago I got my life time pass to all Florida state parks, as part of my veterans disability! Yeaaaa!! :happy3:The last several weeks I have been water hunting Honeymoon Island state park (10 minutes from the house), like I have been doing the past 13 years. Well today that came to a complete STOP, HALT :stop: . A park ranger ask me and another water detectorist to please come out of the ocean. He advised us that we could only detect the dry sand from the dune lines to the surf line. I identified myself and informed him that I had been detecting in the ocean at Honeymoon Island for the last 13 years and this was the first time that anyone had said we could not detect in the water I had ask about this several times in the past few years talking with the rangers, and always getting the thumbs up, :icon_thumright:have fun). He stated the state regulations, and I ask him additional questions, he said if I wanted I should talk to the main park ranger . At no time did we argue about detecting. We thanked him and headed out.

My next stop was to the main office at the entry point to the park. I went in and had a good discussion with the main ranger (should have written his name down). We discussed the hobby, the efforts that the majority of people with detectors make in cleaning up after ourselves, returning items to people that have lost rings, bracelets, and other objects, taking out the trash and dangerous objects we find, ( I informed him about a rusty crab trap and a 12 inch butcher knife I found in the water that was only knee deep that I had removed previously). Just imagine if someones child had stepped on that. Basically leaving the area better than we found it. He admitted that we as a group were very good at taking care of the areas we detect by filling in our holes and getting rid of the junk. But he was trying to follow the guidelines (rules) that were issued. There was an individual that he named that had been really verbal and bad mouthed him and the other rangers in the last few years, from what I have learned he isn't welcome at the park anymore. He advised me that he had been discussing with the rest of the park ranger staff that they needed to enforce the rules. I let him know that I had been at the park 4 times in the last two weeks detecting in the water in direct sight of the other rangers and this was the first time that I was ask to not detect in the ocean.

I thanked him for his time and effort, he said it would be nice if the rules were changed but to get that done it has to come from the people in our hobby asking that the park be open to water hunters. So now I'm passing on the information to you all. I'm disappointed. :'( Man I was looking forward to hitting this park several times a week and at least once every weekend. It's a shame that not only am I (we) are loosing out on a great park, but the park is loosing out too, because I will not be visiting as often and spending money in their concession shop and the restaurant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
kc10bull,your all right once in the keys i was water hunting a popular miami pull over ,lots of tents ,drinking,swiimming yada yada that morning i was waved out and was told no disturbing the sea grass i showed all the crap i removed but it was just a guy doing his rounds in the morning it just not fair sometimes my timing is better and i think they look past my truck funny thing the sea grass down here is getting as rare as locals......its a mud spot with garbage ..the florida keys

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... was told no disturbing the sea grass......

Oh sure. And so too can someome be told "no disturbing the grass" if they asked long enough and hard enough in city hall to detect at a turfed park. Thus I have a theory that the only reason such sillyness exists in what that ranger told you, is that years or decades ago, md'rs went asking and seeking clarification and permission. The "pressing question" must therefore be passed back and forth between multiple desks at state capitol, and presto, the answer to this "pressing question". Because lets face it: kids wading and dragging their feet too and fro through that "sea grass" can and do "disturb it" too.

There are rules about "harvesting" and "collecting" as well. But no one cares if your 10 yr. old daughter picks up a sea-shell, right? Do you know why that is? Because your 10 yr. old daughter didn't go in asking permission. If enough people go ask if they can, trust me: a rule will be invented "no taking seashells", I gaurantee you.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Life is good. Government regulation is good in the beginning. Government regulation as it gets bigger is bad. Once you no longer really know who makes the rules, then the regulations become permits for the privilege of enjoying yourself for a fee. Then the regulations become a ban on all enjoyment. It only takes one person to get a law passed, it takes many to get a law repealed.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... Thus Honrymoon park should have had a like ....

Sorry.. had to read this a couple of times and know it was suppopse to be Honeymoon. I know.. e and r are right next to each other on the standard keyboard.

Thanks for the great morning chuckle.

johnnybuckets

Sep 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some poking around as I also live very close to Honeymoon Island. As far as I can tell the Ranger is correct. Sadly !!! It seems the waters have been leased out, so it is shoreline and wet sand only

Bummer.

Florida

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread