Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, kind of new to detecting in the surf but was wondering what technique you guys use to get your scoop on the right spot.
I'm sure it's an acquired skill but I am willing to learn.

Any tips would be appreciated before I get out there and look like a fool! Ha ha
I'm willing to spend whatever it costs for a good scoop, that's no problem but just thinking about it, is kind of confusing when you really can't see down in front of you because of not being able to bend over!

Pete

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy, Find your target, Put your foot at the base of your coil where the target is and dig !! HH Ron Lord

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty well a one handed job. Lot depends on the size of your scoop.... plan on getting a GOOD scoop with the understanding you are going to move a lot of material with the first scoop. I alway move the target to the tip of my coil.... then use the back of my coil as a guage putting my foot there then putting my scoop in just front of my foot. Also a little trick.... if you missed the target.... give it a second, targets on the side tend to move toward the center as the hole fills back in. Its an ackward process at first.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pinpoint target with coil, put my toe at back of coil and that is where I start my scoop like Ron said...

As far as staying on target that depends on the surf. Salt water hunting in surf is not easy, takes practice and strength, not for everyone...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Treasure Hunter said, find target with coil and place foot near coil and scoop where coil was and scoop. Its a learning thing and not all of us do it the same way. When it is in your scoop, just take it out without doing the Happy Dance an squirrel it away like it was trash as people are watching you. Look at it later...........
NRA2.JPG

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
depends on how deep I'm in shallow just look at the spot and dig there... deeper foot behind coil works for me....
I was at one of Michigan's northern beaches last weekend after two hours of digging crap not even a clad, I found a token just had to do the happy dance!!! the two people on shore were laughing their butts off!!! But really don't make like you found anything other than trash at least till you get back in the car....

OP
OP
K

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds pretty cool and a little tough too
but I'm cool with that.
Is there an average depth most of you go ?
Sounds like the trough at low tide is the ticket huh?
Can't wait to try out but still need headphones
and a good scoop!
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments

Pete

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using??

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
The depth of how deep to go, well that is a loaded question! if you have a small scoop and the target is say a foot deep. It might take you 5 to 10 attempts to get the target. If the surf is moving sand may fill in your hole faster than you can dig it out. If you do a little research on here you will find out most have good size scoops. Just look at my avitar, my scoop is called ScoopZilla! 9 1/2 inches across 9 1/2 height, 13 plus inches deep, stainless steel that I designed myself. With the handle it weighs over 13 pounds, now add the sand matrix to that and the weight to get it off the bottom is around 30 + pounds. I'm a big guy, there are many of the detectorist in the Tampa Bay area that have held this monster. Not none have ever tempted to try it, except me. What am I trying to say is that you have to find a scoop that will work for you. There are good scoops out there that are half the size of mine that do as good as mine. Most targets at the beaches are new drops, you know lost yesterday or today, so they can be shallow on top or down to three inches. There are lots of variables, like how loose is the sand, how heavy the object is, what shape is the object? Is it a coin, ear ring, pull tab, ring (silver, gold, platinum copper), bracelet, watch, beer can. As far as the trough, if you find a good cut yes. People hunt at low tides because they can go out further and detect where people were once playing in the surf and ocean. Some people detect primarily up to their knees, this is where all the Mothers are playing with their children. Others detect in waist deep water, comfortable to hunt and not have to fight with some waves. Some of us hunt past the surf up to our shoulders (wave line) so we don't have to fight the crashing waves and the pull of the surf going in and out. But when you hunt that far out you now are probably going to find more men's rings, watches and sunglasses. Others hunt next to the bottom of the incline of the sand bar as items are sometimes dropped when people run into the sand bar trip and loose their balance. On the sand bar most people avoid this area as the sand bar tends to move, thus objects tend to sink deeper and faster where you can't dig deep enough to recover the object. Be careful of sand bars and pay attention to the tides you don't want to get stuck on one and have to leave your detecting gear behind and have to swim to shore. It's happened more than once and people have lost their detecting equipment. It's not worth loosing your life over a buried object.

If you have read several posts on here one recently from Les he pulled out a beautiful (put your sunglasses on) diamond ring, it took him more than one attempt and he had to dig down an estimated 2 feet. I know that takes tons of effort and hard work to recover a target that deep. Les West Central FL. is a pro at recovering targets. This has probably made you think of more questions and that is good, keep asking, go out and see how others are detecting, check out their gear. I would almost venture to say that no two are alike. We have all modified and customized our gear to work for us. Heck I've been detecting the Tampa Bay area for 13 years and I'm still updating and modifying my equipment, and I'm still learning from everyone. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions