Buying excalibur this week

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutsdad,

Just a heads-up. If your huntin' the OBX check the laws. Hatteras and south are off limits. Pretty much Oregan Inlet and north to the Va. Line is open but stay away from the dunes and no hunting the beach in June, July and August. Good Luck with the new Excal it's a great MDer.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering should I get the 8 inch or the 10 inch coil. Will be using this mostly for east coast beach and surf. Please any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nutsdad:
It is easiest to see the difference that the size of a coil makes by determining the surface area of the ground that will be under the coil with the formula: ( Pie times the actual diameter of search coil squared divided by 4).

Coils of 8" diameter and less are considered small field coils. As the stock 8” search coil is actually 7.25” there is 41.36 square inches of ground under that coil.

Coils of 10" diameter or more are considered large field coils. There is 78.675 square inches of soil under that search coil.

By comparing the surface area under each coil it is easy to see that the surface area under an 8" coil is only 1/2 that of a 10" coil. Or looking at it the other way a 10" search coil sees twice the surface as an 8" coil sees.

I use a rough rule to thumb to determine the maximum depth that I can detect a quarter size clad or silver coin under ideal conditions by adding two inches for spill over to the actual diameter of the search coil. Under ideal conditions, I should be able to detect a quarter size copper clad or hopefully silver coin at 9.25" with an 8" search coil, and at 12" with a 10" search coil.

If you multiply the maximum depth under Ideal conditions by the actual width of the search coil you can visualize the volume of sand that you may have to dig for a target under the search coil: 382.52 cu in for the 8" coil and 944.1 cu in for the 10” coil for the 10" coil. The point I am trying to make is that the 8" DD stock coil is much more precise and easier to pin point with.

Each coil has its advantages and disadvantages. What is best for you will depend upon: your metal detecting skills, where you treasure hunt and your treasure hunting style.

If you usually treasure hunt between closely spaced in rocks, trashy areas, or in the trough a small field coil (8” diameter or smaller is best)”.
- It is more sensitive to smaller items such as gold chains – which are very difficult to detect unless bunched, like in a ball, or there is a large clasp or an item item hanging on the chain as the detector only sees one link at a time.
` A small field coil is easier to handle in strong currents and waves, as there is less drag in the water.
- As the search coil is smaller, you can use of a smaller stand up water scoop or increase your ability to retrieve the target with a larger stand up water scoop on the first try which is important when hunting in waves /soft wet sand before it is washed away (light objects) or sucked under too deep to retrieve.
Small field coils work well in trashy areas /numerous close targets as the metal detector has less surface area under it to process: {complex ground matrix, hot rocks, trash, target(s). I look at the ground matrix (ferrous particles, mineralization, etc) as a wild card as it depends on the geographic location and it can change rapidly.

As I mostly treasure hunt on small and narrow beaches where there are strong waves, and currents, I prefer small field coils Since there is less surface area under a small field coil to process, you can sweep the coil faster before it nulls.

Most detectorists start out with or use the 10” large field search coil as their go to beach detector as it allows them to cover more search area and detect deeper than a small field coil. As it is more difficult to pin point with you will most likely see the treasure hunter using a larger stand up water scoop with a 9 ½ to 7 inch wide basket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutsdad,

Just a heads-up. If your huntin' the OBX check the laws. Hatteras and south are off limits. Pretty much Oregan Inlet and north to the Va. Line is open but stay away from the dunes and no hunting the beach in June, July and August. Good Luck with the new Excal it's a great MDer.

I mostly hunt from Wilmington south. But thanks for the heads up on the OBX. Hate to get run off or ticketed for the wrong place or wrong time of year. Thanks

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutsdad: The 8” search coil (actually 7.25”) is a small field coil. Using the formula Pie R Squared there are 41.36 square inches under the coil.
While the 10” coil is considered a small field coil, using the above formula you can see that there are 78.675 square inches under the search coil.
The formula makes it easy to see that the 8” coil covers approx ½ the surface area of the large field coil. Looking at it the other away you cover approx twice the surface area with the large field coil. Each coil has its advantages and disadvantages. What is best for you will depend upon: you’re metal detecting skills, where you treasure hunt and how you treasure hunt.

If you usually treasure hunt between closely spaced in rocks, trashy areas, or in the trough a small field coil (diameter less than 8” is ideal)”.
- It is more sensitive to smaller items such as gold chains – which are very difficult to detect unless it is bunched, like in a ball, or there is a large clasp or item hanging off the chain as the detector only sees it as one link at a time.
` A small field coil is easier to handle in strong currents and waves, as there is less drag in the water.
- As the search coil is smaller, you can use of a smaller stand up water scoop or increase your ability to retrieve the target with a larger stand up water scoop on the first try which is important when hunting in waves /soft wet sand before it washed away (light objects) or sucked under too deep to retrieve.
Small field coil work well in trashy areas /numerous close targets as the metal detector has less to process since the area is smaller under its search coil: { complex ground matrix, hot rocks, trash, target(s). I look at the ground matrix (ferrous particles, mineralization, etc) as a wild card as it depends on the geographic location and can change rapidly .

As I mostly treasure hunt on small and narrow beaches where there are strong waves, and currents, my next purchase will be an Excalibur II 800 or Excalibur 800. Both have the small field 8 inch coil.
As there is less for the metal detector to process with a small field coil, I can offset the decreased search as I can sweep the coil faster before it nulls .
As a rule of thumb, Iadd two inches for spill over to the diameter of the search coil to determine the maximum depth under ideal conditions for detecting a quarter inch size coin which is 9.25 inches with this small field coil.

Most detectorists start out with or go with the 10” large field search coil as it allows them to cover more search area and detect deeper than a small field coil. As it is more difficult to pin point with you will most likely see the treasure hunter using larger stand up water scoop such as the 9 ½ inch wide basket or a more sharply pointed 7” for working where there are rocks. Both are real back hoes, and are heavy when filled with wet sand. A rule of thumb maximum depth under ideal for detecting a quarter inch size coin which is 12 inches with this large field coil.

Lots of info. I think I'm going to go with the 10 inch. To cover as much area as I can for now. But in the future may add an 8 to my list of detectors but don't tell my wife. LOL. Thanks

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My excal has been ordered got the 10 inch coil. Big boy hobbies. Bart is the man great to work with thanks Bart.

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will enjoy the excal! good luck detecting

Thanks I can't wait for it to get here. I may have the 24 hour flu the next day to try it out. Lol

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Ring Finder? One review do not a valid conclusion make.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the 10 - the whole theory of 8 inch gets in the trashier areas has never quite panned out. As Treasure_Hunter said - The 10 inch will cover the most area and that's what you want in the water......

Really Ring Finder!

How did you come to that conclusion? Is it based on actual hands on experience with small field coils, or is it based on reading white papers by manufacturers/coil designers paper studies/research in library, and other user reviews in addition to Treasure Hunters.

I have considerable experience using small field coils in trashy areas on the beach and in the dirt and I prefer a small field coil to the larger field Tornado 10” DD coil which is more difficult to accurately to pin point with, plus I need a smaller coil to detect between rocks which are closer than 10 inches together. As the 8 inch coil is much lighter and smaller than the 10 inch coil it is easier to control in strong currents and is more agile to dash to saftey with.

If you, one of your associates, or a T Net member has a stock Excalibur 800 or Excalibur 800 in good condition but do not like using an 8 inch coil please send me a PM as I am looking for one to purchase at an affordable price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal was on the door step today.

Attachments

• image-3325260423.jpg
    image-3325260423.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3362749166.jpg
    image-3362749166.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 80

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get out there and hunt the beach... and you will find Gold! Good luck.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have both the 8 and 10 inch. I use the 10 inch more than the 8. The 8 is better in the water waist deep. Over all the 10 inch will be a my choice. Also as soon as get your excal, do a hip mount. If you wind the coil cord around the stock shaft and later go to a hip mount, the cord get all looped up and it take a while for the cord to straighten out. Good luck, go low and slow dig ,everything to a point.

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 8 and 10 inch. I use the 10 inch more than the 8. The 8 is better in the water waist deep. Over all the 10 inch will be a my choice. Also as soon as get your excal, do a hip mount. If you wind the coil cord around the stock shaft and later go to a hip mount, the cord get all looped up and it take a while for the cord to straighten out. Good luck, go low and slow dig ,everything to a point.

I am going in the morning. So I can see how good this thing really is. Thanks for all the replys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions