vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Cool Diggin Dave. Let us know how it goes. You might have to shave the tip a little to help it slide through the sand...

OP
OP
Diggin Dave

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I filed and sharpened the leading edge, wasn't quite complete when I posted the pics last night. It's ready to go now.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I've been making my own scoops for years. They are much stronger and are almost indistructable. I can give you a bit of advice or incouragement. You are on the right track. Try making one without the use of metal. If it isn't in my scoop it is still in the sand. Also, your weak point is the point where the scoop and handle join. On mine there is no stress at this point. Keep using your thinking hat.

OP
OP
Diggin Dave

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Harrass,

On the handle I used a 3/4" conduit coupling, and torqued it through an undersized hole in the pvc. The handle is through bolted on the top side of the coupling. There's no flex in the the connection, only a bit in the wood handle.

I thought about drilling out the pvc with many 1/2" holes, eliminating the need for the chicken wire, but I thought by not being so open I may have issues with visibility inside the scoop.

Without the use of metal what are you using to connect the handle to the scoop?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect the conduit nut/thread configuration will not hold up I promise you. Really need a gusset(s) on back of scoop to handle also. I'm wanting you to have a fun trip and not break scoop on first dig! HH Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Diggin Dave

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Fletch,

I added an aluminum 1/4"x1"x8" bracket from the front of the scoop to the handle. Very sturdy, no worries now.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
Hey Harrass,

On the handle I used a 3/4" conduit coupling, and torqued it through an undersized hole in the pvc. The handle is through bolted on the top side of the coupling. There's no flex in the the connection, only a bit in the wood handle.

I thought about drilling out the pvc with many 1/2" holes, eliminating the need for the chicken wire, but I thought by not being so open I may have issues with visibility inside the scoop.

Without the use of metal what are you using to connect the handle to the scoop?

Go with the holes... start with large holes (just a pit smaller than a dime) on the sides and work your way down to the bottom with progressively smaller holes. The small holes are for ear studs. Like I say, if the item isn't in my scoop it is still in the sand.
Work from the back end of your scoop, and here is another hint... there is no stress on my joints. I can pull as hard as I want and my connections have never failed. I have one scoop that is 6 foot. On a short handle like yours, when I was in water up to my neck I would push down and I would float away. I sometimes wear weights. I find a lot of the good stuff around the buoy marker ropes. When someone grabs the ropes their rings fall off. These are usually up to your neck or over your head.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
How are you coming with your scoop? If your stuck I can give you some more help.

OP
OP
Diggin Dave

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How are you coming with your scoop? If your stuck I can give you some more help.

Stuck? The first one is done. I'm gonna try it out next week. There's another pic posted. The next one I fabricate will be non metallic. Stay tuned.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
How did your latest hunt turn out? Any luck and how did the scope work?

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
PICT1054.JPG PICT1055.JPG
Here's one I made a couple of months ago, it has been serving me well. Today I'm going to drill holes in it (been putting it off), not too many to begin with as I'm concerned about losing the structural integrity. Not shown in the picture is the wire mesh I attached to the back end (using a large hose clamp)

Last edited:

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
Fill in the back with a circle of wood at least 1" thick. Hold it in place with wood dowels. I used flat flooring wood made of maple. I passed it through my thickness planer and trimmed off the groves. I router the edges to make the sides smooth. I ended up with a handle 1/2" thick and about an 1 1/2" wide. I like my handles to be about 4' long. Attach with dowels. Imagine how strong a hockey stick is... well this twice as strong. Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
Diggin Dave

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks good Fred! I tried mine out last week Harass and it worked like a champ. Found $2.58 in clad, a bs toe ring and ear ring.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
At least you are getting something. Its been a funny spring up here and I haven't hit the water yet. We have had only 3 days without rain and the water is still too cold for me. I worked the beaches last fall and since very few people have been in the water it is a waste of time. It takes a crowded beach to generate some good finds. Hope to get out in the next week. Its suppose to be in the 30's (80s - 90s) for the next week. Good luck in your hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread