A few recent adventures with the 8" and the Skullies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skullies.jpg
Good headphones are paramount.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile of treasure...that emerald heart on the claddagh ring is cool...congrats.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I lost am emerald ring just like that...where were you hunting? Yeah, that's where I lost it...want to mail it to me? :)

Crispin

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks Good Bigscoop, and you are correct. No matter what detector, one needs an advantage over the next hunter....And the biggest weak point on all water detectors, the headphones.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice huntin!!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost am emerald ring just like that...where were you hunting? Yeah, that's where I lost it...want to mail it to me? :)

Crispin

It will be arriving in a "really big" box filled with all those foam peanuts. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Good Bigscoop, and you are correct. No matter what detector, one needs an advantage over the next hunter....And the biggest weak point on all water detectors, the headphones.

Headphones, remote disc/PP switch, straight shaft, and the ability to swap coils.....with these four mods the Excal becomes the ultimate beach & water machine. :icon_thumleft: Depth, sensitivity, and complete versatility!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea! I'm in line for the works!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you guys are making me want to send my new Xcal to OBN even if it is still under warranty!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next asset out of the box for me is going to be the ultimate beach scoop! :icon_thumleft:
You should take my X , best gold digger, I ever seen. You name the category: Dry Sand, Wet Sand, shallow water - you will be cleaned out in minutes.
Mint condition, prefer cash, but will swap - ship for free. Reason for selling - No longer able to afford because of sanded in beach conditions.

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile of treasure. Great find. HH

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds Bigscoop, you think you would have missed any of those finds using the stock Excal headphones

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... impressive finds with that hot little coil and mods. Like i said.... you guys coming up with those MOD really have an impact on how popular the Xcal is. ML should be paying you guys for keeping them on top. Wonder what would happen if the mod guys focused on the CZ21?

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds Bigscoop, you think you would have missed any of those finds using the stock Excal headphones

Absolutely!.....and not just the gold stuff. Seeker41/Chuck came up for a hunt today and I pulled these from runnel, both were "really deep" and I'm certain I would have missed them both with the stock headphones. The large ring was way down in the soup and only offered me a faint grunt/burp my first pass in disc and then a null, a lot like bottle cap will do but very faint but it wouldn't repeat. Switch to PP and there was no way I could have heard the "very faint" threshold break with the stock headphones, but that faint break was repeatable so I dug. No kidding, that ring must have been 18" down in the soup and I'm only using the 8" coil. The toe ring I hit in disc, just a "very faint" burp I would have never pulled up with the stock head phones, it was probably around 12" deep. What use to be faints with the stock headphones are now easily recognizable responses, that about sizes things up.
ringsz.jpg

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile. These come from the water, dry sand or both? I'm going in the morning, low tide @ 0500.

Both wet and water. The only two energy sources that move on the beach are water and sand. When the water is moving with enough force look for items to get flushed and deposited in much the same way gold in a stream gets flushed and deposited, i.e., bends, holes, ledges, current breaks, etc. A lot of areas are packed with swimmers right now but they are producing nothing due to all the soft sand under foot. A lot of times I'll hunt fairly quickly until I hit an area that has a lot of iron then I'll slow down and hunt that area very well. Iron is heavy and it's a good sign that the area sand is firm/dense enough to support heavier objects. :icon_thumleft:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got home and cleaned up! great hunting with you guys today for sure!!!! have not inspected my meager finds yet but im sure theres no gold, maybe a little silver!!!
chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread