Excal Threshold Changes

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal Threshold "Pitch" Changes:

There’s a lot more going on with the Excal then many hunters realize, the threshold pitch changes being one area that I think goes largely ignored by both Disc and PP hunters. Most of us are listening for threshold breaks, rises, wavering, etc., but few of us really focus on those unexplained pitch changes that often seem to occur at random with no other noticeable indication of a possible target. However, something caused that change in pitch and sometimes these pitch changes are worth investigating.

The threshold is the most sensitive searching process within the entire machine, which is why so many hunters prefer to hunt in PP mode. But disc hunters need to pay attention to this threshold as well because these unexplained changes in threshold pitch can often provide clue of targets that are the very edge of the machine’s process capabilities. Extremely deep targets can cause these changes, as can small/fine chains, etc. Sure, mineral deposits can also cause them as well. So how can you tell the difference?

I hunt in disc mode a lot and I can tell you first hand that these threshold changes can represent good targets from time to time. The first thing I do whenever I encounter one of these changes is determine if the change went higher or lower. Most often these changes will be lower, to the point of sounding very low and grainy. However, other times the threshold will become a bit lower but it will remain smooth and pleasant sounding, more of a mid-tone, if you will. When this happens you really need to investigate the source of this change.

Whenever I encounter one of these desired threshold changes the first thing I do is switch to PP mode and I’ll run my scoop past the coil to reset the threshold to a higher pitch. Once this is done I’ll sweep the coil over the suspected area until I get the threshold change again and I’ll keep repeating this process until I’ve isolated the “X” on the surface. If I’m really lucky I may even get a threshold break but not always. In either case I’ll start removing some sand until I can start getting a solid response, something that is much easier to do with the small coil since it can be easily stuck in the hole for a much closer look. A lot of times the source will just up and disappear, a sure sign that it was just a tiny piece of surface clutter or a pocket of mineralization, but a lot of times you’ll start to encounter a consistent response or an obvious tone that will result in the recovering of a target. Weather you’re in Disc mode or PP mode don’t ignore those threshold pitch changes because they just might lead you to something shiny and pleasant.

Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks great Info. I have both the 8 and 10 inch Excal. My most common issue I have is on dis. mode, I get a broken tone and remove some sand, the tone gets louder and still broken up not a solid coin or ring tone. If I dig untill I uncover it 99% of the time It will be trash. Is this common with your detecting? I live in so cal. Wet sand and water Is where I have my best luck. Thanks Joe.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks great Info. I have both the 8 and 10 inch Excal. My most common issue I have is on dis. mode, I get a broken tone and remove some sand, the tone gets louder and still broken up not a solid coin or ring tone. If I dig untill I uncover it 99% of the time It will be trash. Is this common with your detecting? I live in so cal. Wet sand and water Is where I have my best luck. Thanks Joe.

Broken tones are usually caused by mixtures of metals or even the halo effect around iron objects, nails/screws come to mind right away as being objects that can cause this, bottle caps are another quick reference. You'll also get this a lot with pieces of costume jewelry because of the mixture of metals. Think of it as a masking effect, a desirable metal or shape being masked by something less desirable. I say this because this is exactly the same type situation you can encounter when a gold ring is being masked by a less desirable/different metal. Basically, if it chirps, burps, stutters, etc., then there is something there causing the confusion. As you say, most of the time it's junk, but sometimes it's something better. Not too long ago I dug one of these uncertain responses and found a small gold ring and a bent rusty nail in the bottom of my scoop. When in doubt dig! :thumbsup:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Thanks Bigscoop, you just gave our biggest secrets away.....Just kidding buddy, great info for the serious hunter...this method works great when trying to locate a chain...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bigscoop, you just gave our biggest secrets away.....Just kidding buddy, great info for the serious hunter...this method works great when trying to locate a chain...

I was thinking/have been thinking the same thing! I struggle with "the fine line" of too much info all the time, bigscoop and I have discussed this very topic. lots of good info here for sure!!!!
chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Masking"....it's been said many times that one of the best features of the Excal is its ability to still tone on gold that's being masked by iron, but this shouldn't be taken to mean the same classic tone you get with an unmasked piece of gold. You can try bumping up the disc a bit so the iron will be ignored but this is risky business, too much disc and it might ignore the whole situation.

"Chains".....another great example. :icon_thumleft:

And gotta keep the coil moving. I see a lot of hunters "poking" and/or "reaching" with the coil, not the same thing at all. A nice smooth, flat, consistent swing will get you the best performance/results.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Masking"....it's been said many times that one of the best features of the Excal is its ability to still tone on gold that's being masked by iron, but this shouldn't be taken to mean the same classic tone you get with an unmasked piece of gold. You can try bumping up the disc a bit so the iron will be ignored but this is risky business, too much disc and it might ignore the whole situation.

"Chains".....another great example. :icon_thumleft:

And gotta keep the coil moving. I see a lot of hunters "poking" and/or "reaching" with the coil, not the same thing at all. A nice smooth, flat, consistent swing will get you the best performance/results.

I use no desc, I have found gold buried with pieces of iron, have recovered both gold and piece of iron in same scoop. I got null from one direction and usually a good but broken signal from a 90 degree change in sweeping direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is why I dig so many bottle caps I get a good tone on one side and a null on the other but I dig them all.Yes it's great to be able get all of your years of experience and to see you pass it on.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bigscoop! Appreciate all the thought you put into your posts. One thing I notice with the Sov is that if I run it a little too hot, when it false it gets higher and higher in pitch. Fakes me out but I hope it's just the sensitivity. Is that the same with the Excal? Watching Chicago Ron as I write this. Gotta admire their enthusiasm. Sure to sell more detectors! I'm just jealous???

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bigscoop! Appreciate all the thought you put into your posts. One thing I notice with the Sov is that if I run it a little too hot, when it false it gets higher and higher in pitch. Fakes me out but I hope it's just the sensitivity. Is that the same with the Excal? Watching Chicago Ron as I write this. Gotta admire their enthusiasm. Sure to sell more detectors! I'm just jealous???

I've never really had that issue. Usually when I get a false it's at the end of a "lazy" swing, or say, when the edge of my coil collides with a small drift of sand, etc., but with these my threshold usually settles right back in to the same smooth hum/pitch. :dontknow: There does come a point when hunting too hot can be counter productive though. "Stability" is what I always try to maintain, otherwise you can create so many unnecessary responses it starts to become difficult to recognize the ones that really count. On my machine, and each machine can be a little different, I can run a lot hotter in disc then I can in PP. If I try to run too hot in PP I get a lot of threshold wavering and a lot of unnecessary pitch changes. Actually produces a type of masking effect within the threshold. In each mode I run as hot as I can without disrupting my two S's,...."Smooth and Stable".

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Bigscoop, really good information and food for thought, can't wait to get back out there.

Cliff

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Bigscoop! Heading to my beach place for the summer soon and can't wait to get in the water and investigate those threshold changes. Last year I generally ignored them.

Pete

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great info for all who use the Excal, Bigscoop. Had that exact thing happen to me a day ago at Va. Beach in the rough surf about knee deep. Took about two inches of sand off the top and got a good signal. One good scoop of sand later and on the end of my water scoop I see what appears to be a thin gold chain hanging off the end of my water scoop, only to slide off and be lost in the surf never to be located again. Very frustrating in the rough surf. But the point is well taken and good for all Excal users to remember...Stuart

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice info Big Scoop, while many of us don't want to share where we are hunting and finding the gold, it is nice to see you sharing that kind of info with those not aware as it is the purpose of TN...

We are not here has as a place to just post finds.....:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to put some of your theories to the test today even had a threshold change that turned out to be a belly ring when my xcal started going crazy on me. The threshold kept getting louder and louder I would turn it down and it would start getting louder turned it down till it was almost off then it quit altogether. So I guess it's back to minelab.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Bigscoop, thanks for the info. I run my sens. at 6 or7. When I bump it to 8,9 or 10 I don't notice any changes. Im I missing some thing? Thanks Joe

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to put some of your theories to the test today even had a threshold change that turned out to be a belly ring when my xcal started going crazy on me. The threshold kept getting louder and louder I would turn it down and it would start getting louder turned it down till it was almost off then it quit altogether. So I guess it's back to minelab.

Mine does this same thing when the battery is failing....starts screaming here and there, then a constant scream, then a slow fade into nothingness! :laughing7: Put it on the charger for about 12hrs and it should be fine. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is what the excal does when the battery is close to failling, try recharging it first.... Don't send it to Minelab with out PMing me first......

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, thanks for the info. I run my sens. at 6 or7. When I bump it to 8,9 or 10 I don't notice any changes. Im I missing some thing? Thanks Joe

As long as the machine/threshold runs smooth & stable without a lot of falsing or wavering, etc., you should be good to go. But you want that threshold to be "smooth" without any wavering or ramping up and down. If you use too much sensitivity and create these conditions it can/will mask these same type of faint responses. You'll never notice these faint responses because you'll think it's just the typical wavering of the threshold that your ears have grown use to hearing.

On my beaches, I usually run my machine about 3/4 on the 8" coil in the water, maybe a bit more over the wet sand but usually I just leave it there (older machine, no numbers). Too much sensitivity can cause stability issues "in" the saltwater, especially on the larger coils where there is surf and currents or uneven bottoms. Too much sensitivity can also create too large of a halo effect around the coil, which while helpful in reaching out for those surface/shallow targets that might be just outside of the sweep area, this halo effect can also serve to mask really deep faints or very fine targets because it can actually cause the machine to null on iron targets or to respond on larger targets that are outside of the actual sweep area, thus possible good targets under the coil might be masked out. On clean beaches this is little concern but on beaches where there are lots of particles and iron objects it can create issues. About the same type situation as trying to use a large coil in a trashy area.

Last edited:

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop , Thanks !, My body is warn out and I kinda go for the fresh drops, but I feel I could do better, im gonna put some of your advice to use, a lot of digging thow ends my day sooner, I guess I should have drank milk instead of soda growing up, when I hear the low tone changes im like uGGG I know that's deep or is it false, but its funny how sometimes when you find that golden ticket shortly after your heading to the car convincing yourself the day was about to end anyway

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread