jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$30 for a dug King George copper, $500 for a big round shot?? Gimme a break!! I think the worst part is the guy bragging that he has dug a million bucks worth of relics!! That'll make most viewers think we're all gettin' rich and make them less likely to give us permission. I had to force myself to watch the hour just to make sure it was real, but I doubt I'll watch it again. As "responsible" hunters they need to show how to dig lawns properly so J.Q. Public can see that we can do it without damage to property. That 1806 flowing hair was a great find, but there was no reference as to whether they were allowed to keep their finds, and the appraisal was way high on that too.

the appraiser did say "price to the public" on one item so I take it he was giving "suggested Retail prices"

But even so, I believe he was exaggerating even Ebay sucker buyers prices

GuitarGuy

Apr 20, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't keep the items found..the land owners do and get some cash from the show..remember reading a few weeks ago about the show wanting people to submit interesting areas they own and they would be paid and get to keep all items found if they were chosen.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was anyone concerned about the live ordnance recovered? Was that the proper procedure?

Of course the shows are intended for the general public more than for us ...but ...still I was a bit embarrassed at a few points in the show.

I think a more constructive attitude talking about the detectors' capabilities and hunting techniques would have made the show more interesting.

All in all much better than anything else out there except for the Mudlark's show in the UK.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was anyone concerned about the live ordnance recovered? Was that the proper procedure?

not me. I still don't believe they are any more dangerous
then a live 22 shell dug from the ground.

of course proper procedure was to call the nearest police or army base for bomb disposal
to keep or destroy it :(

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
not me. I still don't believe they are any more dangerous
then a live 22 shell dug from the ground.

of course proper procedure was to call the nearest police or army base for bomb disposal
to keep or destroy it :(

Agreed. They are not at all dangerous as long as your not an idiot. And have some knowledge of what your dealing with. And all of these folks do.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was just me but it looked like they were scanning spots that were already dug and that pistol barrel sure looked familiar I think it was on here already. More substance would be great like showing all the other junk that we dig not just the $1000.00 coins. But I guess it,s not for our entertainment it's for the general public .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was just me but it looked like they were scanning spots that were already dug and that pistol barrel sure looked familiar I think it was on here already. More substance would be great like showing all the other junk that we dig not just the $1000.00 coins. But I guess it,s not for our entertainment it's for the general public .

I agree on the barrel looking familiar.

For some reason, I thought of Boom Baby saying it was a $20,000.00 relic
from a pirate :laughing7:

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I watched about 5 minutes worth.

Here... You got the exact same format as the savage loud mouth, big equipment diggin morons, only without the big equipment.

I still witnessed loud mouthing, improper machine usage, ridiculous tones, and an overzealous "appraiser".

Was enough for me.

I agree , another embarrassment and black eye for the hobby

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I thought it was kind of a joke and the diggers were a joke too. I fell asleep on the second episode. Draped Bust dollars that don't exist. Several digs on obvious new holes. I wonder what the producers paid the owners of Ft. St. Philip to dig there?
All this show is going to do is bring more unwanted attention to the hobby and have more people looking at us like we are looters and vandals.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the barrel looking familiar.

For some reason, I thought of Boom Baby saying it was a $20,000.00 relic
from a pirate :laughing7:

I know guy who found it - Mark - and was sworn to secrecy before the episodes aired
but told me about the find - and other finds -Mark is a fireman in Chicago and good friend and partner of Chi Ron (who is also a Chi fireman)
I was privy to a bunch of info and had talks with cast members about the show
and was at a cast meeting with Whydah where we got a lot of behind the scenes chat
find were not planted !
sometimes they had to rebury items to film I think - sometimes the editing screwed up
you have to realize that the guys running the show aren't the hunters
its a bunch of NY city young yuppy types - some were flambouyant types
that know nothing about detecting - they should have had consultants while editing
the cast could have made corrections were they able to view before airing
they saw it for the first time when we did
as for the prices - a lot of them were spot on as far as an antique dealer goes
theyre giving prices they would sell it for or ask
I know the producers/directors wanted to greatly inflate the prices
and the cast called a private meeting and told them they would not stand for it
the bosses wanted to 5x and 10x the values
a cannon ball like that - attributed to a battle or fort - would go for $500+
so its not highly inflated - parrot with fuse and sabot is up their too - once again -attributed to a fort or battle
ones found in an nowhere field - would be lower
I have seen KG coppers sold for $25+ by dealers
I have a friend that sells his colonial coppers to an antique dealer and that dealer gets $20+ for them
button prices given seemed reasonable
Savage was way over inflated on everything
and Diggers were on at least a few items - I know they found an 1812 button they said was over $250
I had one identical and was told by experts it was worth around $50+ and mine had shank
these people - the cast - have some say but the powers that be are the ones
that want the wow factor and the entertainment - they don't want to just follow a bunch of hunters
hunting hard and getting dirty - they want some fun - they want competition - they want controversy
and maybe an argument or fight here or there
I was talked to about doing a show last year - a water show - and we went thru all this
I also got calls from other production company personel - including some from the Digger show
picking my brain - I told them they should show burying of holes - picking up trash - doing a good deed or making a return
now and then if possible and other ideas that I think hunters here would love to see - but like someone else mentioned - they are not making
these shows for us or with us in mind
so don't get mad or over critical of the cast - they are employees of the production company -sign contracts and have to listen to the bosses
I signed a contract for one company - I should post it here - I made changes to it before signing - (probably reason I did not get the show)
but it states right out - you will do what youre told - and you have no say whatso ever in filming - editing or production
and will only speak when spoken to pretty much
so cut your fellow Th'ers some slack - believe it or not - these guys =the cast -are trying to do their best to give you something to watch

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know guy who found it - Mark - and was sworn to secrecy before the episodes aired
but told me about the find - and other finds -Mark is a fireman in Chicago and good friend and partner of Chi Ron (who is also a Chi fireman)
and was at a cast meeting with Whydah where we got a lot of behind the scenes chat
find were not planted !
sometimes they had to rebury items to film I think - sometimes the editing screwed up
that know nothing about detecting - they should have had consultants while editing
so its not highly inflated - parrot with fuse and sabot is up their too - once again -attributed to a fort or battle
I have a friend that sells his colonial coppers to an antique dealer and that dealer gets $20+ for them
and Diggers were on at least a few items - I know they found an 1812 button they said was over $250
I had one identical and was told by experts it was worth around $50+ and mine had shank
that want the wow factor and the entertainment - they don't want to just follow a bunch of hunters
hunting hard and getting dirty - they want some fun - they want competition - they want controversy
I was talked to about doing a show last year - a water show - and we went thru all this
I also got calls from other production company personel - including some from the Digger show
picking my brain - I told them they should show burying of holes - picking up trash - doing a good deed or making a return
now and then if possible and other ideas that I think hunters here would love to see - but like someone else mentioned - they are not making
so don't get mad or over critical of the cast - they are employees of the production company -sign contracts and have to listen to the bosses
I signed a contract for one company - I should post it here - I made changes to it before signing - (probably reason I did not get the show)
but it states right out - you will do what youre told - and you have no say whatso ever in filming - editing or production
so cut your fellow Th'ers some slack - believe it or not - these guys =the cast -are trying to do their best to give you something to watch

Well said my friend we do have to remember its tv Entertainment watch it or dont me ill watch it & all the others cuz I like the hobby weather I agree to disagree id still watch it over any other Sport

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the proto was a Teknetics ? the box they showed said Teknetics I think

It was/is a proto-type Jeff

did you notice it was "silver/chrome" in color?? T2's/F75's don't come in silver and also - he said it's a "multi-frequency" machine (which again) T2's/F75's are only single frequency machines

get ready for a new Fisher coming soon!? It's been a while and is over do...

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
find were not planted !

Andy Sabisch has an exelent article on page 56 of the Aug. lost treasure mag ,everybody engaged in this hobby should read it and form there own opinion

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will hear from some that dont like it just because it encourages new growth in the hobby...... boy does it. We know the names of these guys.... well respected, but they need to be a little less over the top and just be themselves. I liked the finds.... looked typical for a days hunt in a good area. Hey we all want to know the moment we dig something what its worth. 30 min dont give a lot of time to talk detecting and dig targets so this is a great start. You have to love a good competition..... we all do it when there are several of us hunting. You can bet they had a great time out there. So i can relate and liked the show. Heck my wife doesnt care much for detecting and ive been at it 20 years and she watched both shows..... with questions. At least Ron kept them off a beach :thumbsup:.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread