Salt damage/ Prevention Question

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks, My family and I are heading to OBX NC this week. I took my Sovereign last year and did manage to pull a gold ring from the beach. I cleaned the machine off to what I thought was fairly well. However after a couple of weeks after I got home, I noticed a green type pitted oxide that formed on ther switches etc. I assume it was from the salt air . Anyway, can you shoot me some ideas as to what you guys use/do for cleanup. Do you cover your control boxes with anything, (Plastic).? Can the salt air get into the control boxes and cause shorts etc. Thanks Guys.

Upvote 0

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use some vinegar to clean what's there and next time coat the area - I petroleum jelly / Vaseline. not sure what you would call ut?

OP
OP
smokedaddy

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use some vinegar to clean what's there and next time coat the area - I petroleum jelly / Vaseline. not sure what you would call ut?

Thanks BVI. I will try that out..

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoke Daddy: The salt mist at the beach tends to get into everything. Most detectorists put a small plastic bag which you can see through over the top of the control housing. Be sure to leave the bag open at the bottom so that moisture does not build up. it is recommend that you carry/wear an oversize raincoat/waterproof jacket so that you can protect the control housing (brain) when it rains. You can also buy protective mini toggle covers which you can install over each switch.

The switches, which are the weak point of the Sovereign can best be cleaned with a small brush.
They do not recommend spraying anything on the switch, except dry air to remove grit, as it only makes it worse.
It is important that you keep the switches clean, you do not want anything near them which salt or sand will stick on.

Usually when a switch fails, it will have to be repaired. If it is out of warranty, you might try using a spray (non conductive ) from Radio Shack which is used to clean electrical contacts. Only do this if you are willing to take the risk that you may cause further damage.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell you what i do..... i use a gallon zip loc bag. Take the control box off and put it in the bag then reattach it to the shaft with the open part of course out. cut a small hole for the cable and phones. I can still adjust knobs and switches if needed as well as change batteries. DONT leave the bag on when you get home i might cause condensation if left hot. Id still recommend a damp wipe down of everything as well as 303 or something occasionally on the cables, rods and coil. I hate the twist type shaft connectors so make sure you can move the shafts after every hunt so they dont lock up.

Dew

OP
OP
smokedaddy

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. I will put them to use...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread