What does 95C stamped inside a ring mean?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a thin ring with 95C stamped inside.
At first I thought that it was a junker as the band looked like it could be adjusted to fit your finger side.
When I got home, I had a pleasant surprise in that the ring was not a junker, the band was not broken - it had sort of a twist /spiral in it from how the stone was mounted (dark green) possibly Jade more likely turquoise. .

On closer look, I noticed the color was more of a whiteish than Silver - looking identical to a larger platinum ring.
I think that it is 950 Platinum and the C could be for Cobalt, or China which many jewlers use for platinum rings as it requires special tooling. Another possibility is that it was not properly stamped and the C should of been a 0.

Sorry, I am not able to send picture, learning how and camera are on my bucket list.
Any recommendations on posting pictures, would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my best guess white gold.
Gold Quality Marks
karat, carat, Karat, Carat, Kt., Ct., K, C

But I am sure some one with more knowledge will answer your question soon

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Unc, KARAT is a gold purity measure, and CARAT is a weight measure for stones of all kinds. The two are not interchangeable, and gold is never marked with a "C" to indicate purity. There are five carats to one gram, and pure gold is 24 karats.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sir Gala Clad, I think that you are correct ... the "C" could be the "O" of the 950 ; maybe the "O" is worn a bit.

Lorraine

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a 950 ring and it was silver. Apparently some South American silver can be marked 950.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as soon as I read your post my first thought was that your marking is probably .950, I have had silver marked .950.
if I am not mistaken, .950 could also be platinum?
chuck.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Gala Clad, I think that you are correct ... the "C" could be the "O" of the 950 ; maybe the "O" is worn a bit.

Lorraine

Thanx Lorraine , I thought that was the answer for sure – so I had my daughter look at it closer. No that’s not it as the marking is deep and the area where the “0” would be was not worn.
It is academic now, as she really really likes it , and was horrified to hear that I would even consider melting it down (sigh).
At least I don’t have to worry about Christmas next year year , But remain curious if this gift is large or small.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as soon as I read your post my first thought was that your marking is probably .950, I have had silver marked .950.
if I am not mistaken, .950 could also be platinum?
chuck.

According to the answer I got from ASK by a jewler. If it was marked 950 it would be platinum and if it was marked .950 it would be silver.
What a difference a "." makes.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, does it have the dot?

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One or two little pictures could really help. Style, settings and attributes of manufacture can really help narrow it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread