Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untitledhh.jpg

Do the tractors spoil it for beach hunters & pick up jewelry & coins while doing the beaches

or do they just level the sand out ?

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jeff, from what I've seen, those rakes may pick up some necklaces and hoop earrings but for the most part they are picking up paper and plastic and seem to leave most coins and bottle caps. Small solid objects fall between the tines.

Cliff

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok Thanks !
I know that was the case 25+ years ago when all my reading was done in the Magazines :tongue3:

Wasn't sure if tines had changed :thumbsup:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've seen mostly the "smoothing" "leveling" machines on the beaches where I hunt; at the end of the "turn", I sometimes find jewelry where it has slipped off the smoothing apparatus.

Lorraine

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen mostly the "smoothing" "leveling" machines on the beaches where I hunt; at the end of the "turn", I sometimes find jewelry where it has slipped off the smoothing apparatus.
I have heard stories of this also. :icon_thumright:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that you should hunt the turn area but that's about all I can add here! almost had a job running one, that woulda been a good way to find out what they actually pick up.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chnce once to detect what the scrapper had picked up here in Hollywood Bch. UGH! :BangHead:

Well, you couldn't use the metal detector, because of ALL THE METAL! You about couldn't pull the seaweed apart to check anything. You'd do better just eye-balling it. I finally gave up, went back over to the beach!

Yeah seeker41, I check the curves, too! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One thing to remember

View attachment 816994

Do the tractors spoil it for beach hunters & pick up jewelry & coins while doing the beaches

or do they just level the sand out ?

One thing you guys gotta remember, is that there is more than one type of "beach cleaner". The kind in the pix (and the type you guys seem to be talking about here) is indeed just a "rake" kind of thing. And yes, it will not pick up coins, rings, etc.... At *best*, only necklaces, as was said (assuming it gets looped around one of the tines).

HOWEVER, there IS one type of brand of beach cleaner/sifter, that does indeed get items down to coin-size (assuming the operator sets the controls to go that fine, as apparently it can be "adjusted"). It agitates and puts the sand through sifter holes, or something, then lets the cleaned sand back off. FORTUNATELY very few beaches have this super refined type of machine. Not even sure if it's still sold, for example. It's apparently not cheap, and not easy to use. And when you think of it, "over-kill". I mean ....... does a beach really want a cleaner that picks up even the seashells? Sheeesk, those poor little kids that can't find seashells on the beach anymore, haha.

Hence most beach cleaners are the rough-rake type, to get the larger things like McDonalds bags, 12-pack containers, left-behind beach towels, etc....

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a man who lost his 14kt chain and beach cleaner chopped it up into 2 inch pieces

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
link says it's empty

000aaa.jpg

boardwalkmike

May 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could someone please advise on beach hunting etiquette. If i go to the beach and someone is hunting is one or two blocks away ok for me to start using my detector?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will try and give another hunter like 50 yrds
wish i could say same for them - i get guys in my back pocket all the time
if im scooping a lot and theyre not - they will usually head my way
especially if they recognize me - lot of times Im wearing some sort of Casper apparel
love if they come over to meet & greet but ive had guys not say boo and hunt on top of me
had one guy come over to talk cause he recognized me but then put his coil down 2 ft in front of me
and pull a nice 925 chain which i thought was uncool
long ago i was hunting with friends on a land hunt (was at a fresh water beach before anyone was water hunting ...boy would have loved to hit there in the water with what we found on the grass)
and we were all like 30 yrds apart - stranger shows up
he is probably 30-40 yrds to my right. My friends and I usually will let each other know
if we get something worth mentioning just to let each other know its worth staying - well
i got into a patch where i was finding a lot of silver dimes and wheats and buffalos - and
i tell my partners "this is a good spot"...Im kneeling digging a target and next thing i know
my machine is acting up due to another machine being near by - i look up and the stranger
is next to me and waving his coil right in front of mine and gets a signal and asks me
if i can move my machine - he kneels down and digs a plug and comes up with a gold class ring
I said wtf and my partners came over and he said " its public land..I have the right to go where ever
I like...you dont own this land" I wanted to rap my machine around his neck
Ive been in the hobby since 1975 and have a lot of stories like this from over the yrs - i only will come
over to another hunters zone if they wave me over if you hunt with me and i get into a good area -
many times i will will give a wave over too

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could someone please advise on beach hunting etiquette. If i go to the beach and someone is hunting is one or two blocks away ok for me to start using my detector?

Lot less than that, 50 foot is about what I average, if your using a pulse detector you may want to add a few more feet to that distance.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No problem. As long as you are not jumping in 30-40ft front of them hunting the same line or walking right into the area they are gridding they are probably not going to get upset.

I have NO PROBLEM if someone else hunts in front of me. I consider it a challenge.

One time I was water hunting and a guy followed my line, passed me and continued on in front of me. I was only a little irritated that he didn't even say hi.. thought that was a little rude but whatever.

I saw that he was working a very narrow line. I widened my line so that I was zig zagging behind him about 20ft wider than him.

Every time he looked back I was smiling and digging.

I am not kidding I dug 4 rings behind him in 15 minutes and I never saw him dig a single hole. He was only about 50ft ahead of me so I know he saw me holding them up to the sun light but he still hadn't figured out why he was missing them all.

All the rings were about 10ft to his right in a line and he passed right by them.

I was laughing the whole time.

Technique is everything.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not sure how you'd gauge a block at a beach but I'd give a berth of about 25 ft to avoid any interference issues and would also avoid his trajectory if it is discernible, other than that its every man for himself. I've had guys give me the bad eye just for being in sight, have had guys refuse to say hi or chit chat after me saying hi to them, making very clear they resent my intrusion. Doesn't bother me, I make no further efforts to be friendly and get on with my business.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
These days I hunt alone but don’t mind some conversation with others as long as they aren’t doggin me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot less than that, 50 foot is about what I average, if your using a pulse detector you may want to add a few more feet to that distance.

I detect behind them... and sweep my coil under their steps... if they stop... I begin detecting between their legs for the target that stopped them.

:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread