Excal or PI Detector? What one?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very impressive. 22" ? What are you picking up at 22"?

Have pulled dime and quarter coins, silver and gold ring.

I start in pp which gives me the depth, then as sand is removed can switch to desc to check hole to see if it nulls if no null i keep digging, if it nulls I will usually remove another scoop or two and recheck one more time, if it is still nulling I cover it up and move on.

I started doing it with the stock excal pp/desc setup, now with the pp mod on handle it is a lot easier. I only hunt using the large wot or sef coils when on beaches.

Like scoop it all depends on how much digging I want to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I love my excal and do pretty well with it. I have an infinium PI which is a back up for me. I really don't like digging so much junk as I do with it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were hunting over a known shipwreck site, etc., then I'd be in PP and I'd be more inclined to treat the Excal like a PI and I'd dig most everything, would do the same thing if I were doing a bit of recon in search of a possible older site. But for modern beach hunting it simply serves no purpose other then to wear me out without covering much ground and I've personally never experienced the reward worth all the effort, though I have put it to the test many times. Right now the beaches are becoming so sanded in over here it's become a recent drop affair anyway, anything that survives through the next tide change is most likely going to get buried so deep in the churning soft sand a PI or a larger coil on the Excal isn't going to help much anyway. The best bet, the most sensitive setup you can use with decent depth and very tight hunting patterns.

OP
OP
P

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les, How do you like your Aquasound and do you think it is much better than your excel?

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
PI machines are just deeper plain and simple, I use the sea hunter mk2 and can interchange coils and headphones , it's a great machine but so all the other American made brands, it was just my preferred choice, I guess us water hunters are like sonar men on subs just listen for echoes, tiderider

BOBBY PIN KING

Jul 31, 2013
Grand Island Fl
Detector(s) used
excal2 and bhid
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
jus my 2cents here......had a bhid kinda liked it BUT..after the 300th bobby pin."thats where I got my name"..called bart...excal arrived...cant believe the difference....I learned a expensive lesson trying to be cheap....excal found gold ring that was dug with old bolt in same shovel full and I hunted the same yard in disc. with bhid but missed it. I knew the ring was there somewhere only because it got threw out years before, by the "happy" ex...lol

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
OP: great decision!

As a car-guy, I feel the PI is like having a muscle car and the disc machine is my everyday driver with a stereo and air conditioning. Most of the time you enjoy the conveniences...but every so often you just want to outperform the guy that stops at the next light. lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you hate the CTX 3030?

I'm just the opposite. I really like the CTX for beach hunting over the Excal. The combined audio with an almost wide open screen allows you to hear the iron grunt and the goodies laying under the iron to break through, instead if getting nulled out. I think I will like it on land, I just haven't had time to use it much. I may use the Excal if I ever get to go diving again but that's about it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too bad the CTX has had issues and that it's design allows it to create additional drag/resistance in all but the calmest of the water. I'd really like to see Minelab step back a bit and take another look towards scaling it down and toughing it up. I think the technology just needs to be put in a different skin, if you will.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, plus the GT for wet/ dry sand and the MXT Pro for dirt digging. The DFPI is used 95% of the time and has easily paid for all four machines in a season and a half.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
...The DFPI is used 95% of the time and has easily paid for all four machines in a season and a half.
How often do you hunt in the summer vs winter?
-David

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do you hunt in the summer vs winter?
-David

Although I live in Connecticut I hunt year round the same amount. Bathing suit to Farmer John to full wet suit to waders and gauntlets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions