Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both, And use the Excalibur 99% of the time. Beach hunting is site dependent, my beach's are best hunted with the Excalibur. Yours could be different.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned an excal and a PI and used the PI 99% of the time. It was a depth preference for me.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, same as OBN, have several detectors. I prefer my old Excal but have used my PI and Aquasound in other areas. If you hunt a real trasy area with a PI you will do a lot of digging for some unwanted target.To give you an example, some time back Ken and I hunted South Beach, I used an Aquasound and Ken used an Excal. While Ken dug bottle caps (32 of them) I dug 3 gold rings and no bottle caps. On our next trip Ken had purchased and Aquasound and we both got gold without a single bottle cap. If Ken had used a PI he probably would have dug over twiice the amount of bottle caps including bobby pins and other unwanted junk. In an area that is fairly trash free a PI is deadly on finding deep targets. I use different detectors for different conditions.

Last edited:

lawrence_1md

Apr 22, 2013
Murphysboro, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Minelab Excalibur ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try not to get to technical here...

PI (pulse induction)- sends out 1 short signal out then stops and listens for a return signal. Like talk then listen. Typically it uses 1 coil.

BBS (broad band spectrum)- sends out multiple signals and listens at the same time. This technology uses 2 coils within the search coil.

As you know the return signal varies as it bounces off the target. The more information returning from the target helps identify the target.

Different frequencies (signals) penetrate the ground better than others and helps the processor determine what the target is or helps discriminate false signals.

The Excalibur ii uses BBS technology and this is what I use.

Good Luck with choosing your detector!

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I have both, And use the Excalibur 99% of the time. Beach hunting is site dependent, my beach's are best hunted with the Excalibur. Yours could be different.

Hour for hour I found ten times more items with my PI. PI machine go deeper and are much more stable. you can pick up small gold chains with a PI in the surf. Try that with and Excalibur!!!!!!!!!!

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have both machines and a ctx3030. I use the excal 95% of the time and love it. I hate my ctx.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hour for hour I found ten times more items with my PI. PI machine go deeper and are much more stable. you can pick up small gold chains with a PI in the surf. Try that with and Excalibur!!!!!!!!!!
You need a good set of headphones for that Excalibur and the remote discrim toogle MB, a stock Excalibur is like swinging a Ace 250 compared....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Fl we get good depth out of the VLF.... add better phone and you get even more. People have different hunting styles.... some that water hunt and dont mind digging deeper target like the PI. Others like me.... prefer to cover more beach especially during recent drop periods or times the sand is being cut. Nothing worse than getting to a beach and having to use a PI in the dry sand because you cant hunt the water or because of the trash. Areas also dictate how much work is involved. Dont get me wrong there is gold down there we miss...but it takes time and willingness to do it.

Dew

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I have both machines and a ctx3030. I use the excal 95% of the time and love it. I hate my ctx.

Ditto, I hate my CTX 3030 also. Always digging deep and having sides cave in. I don't know if I should smash it up or sell it on EBay for a couple grand. Hour for hour you will dig a real lot more with a PI. I only wish a PI could discriminate so I wasn't digging 99percent junk with it. But hour for hour I find a lot more with the PI.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many say Excal because of discrimination! I'm fairly new to beach detecting and went with a pi machine for first beach detector. Will be trying Soverign GT my next trip. I'm leaning towards discrim over depth. I believe it really depends on how trashy a beach you're detecting, conditions, amount of time you have, etc. as to which is best. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone. I just sold my Beach hunter ID and upgraded to the Excal and enjoy it. I know as I get to learn the tones I'll like it even more. I see some people on the beach with the PI and say they love it. I may get one in the future. For now Ill enjoy the Excal.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a good set of headphones for that Excalibur and the remote discrim toogle MB, a stock Excalibur is like swinging a Ace 250 compared....

Agree. And I can safely say this, since adding the headphones (skullies) and the remote switch I'm hunting just as deep as most PI machines in PP "when I want to." In fact, put on the 12 x 15 SEF and the depth is actually too much for my liking most of the time, even on bobby pins. This is the advantage of the Excal mods, headphones, remote switch, and the ability to exchange coils, provides a lot of "waterproof" versatility.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have same setup as scoop and OBN, using wot on one excal and 12x15" sef butterfly on the other. In all metal I get depths 16-22"+ when hunting..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Being a noob to the sport I love the Excal vs PI threads. I love my Excal and with the help of OBN hope to make my rig mo better.

No opinion from me just love for my Excal!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at 24" with the Xcal yesterday on a penny....... then realized it was setting at the top of the hole.:censored: Its kind of like never using a VLF machine before and all the conditions are right for the choice you made..... you think perfect why do you guys want a PI. Yet move from say NJ to Fl and pick up a VLF and you go.... wow was i missing something all this time. Not really it was just the right machine for location.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very impressive. 22" ? What are you picking up at 22"?

I have no want or need for anymore deep bobby pins. :laughing7: I didn't have a ruler with me the other day when I pulled a 8.6 gram 14k man's diamond band out of the depths but I'm guessing it was down about 15 - 16" (very shallow water, could see what I was doing).........it started out as just a very faint threshold break. Recently I pulled a fat silver ring from the +20" range. Also hit a lot of coins around the 18" - 20" range when PP hunting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread