Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the name of that book and where did you get it? Some very interesting stuff...Ive traveled through a lot of those places over the years.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I've detected the Point of Rocks area on Siesta Key (Sarasota) many times. I first visited after I found an article in a very old treasure hunter magazine that mentioned an old ship wreck right off the beach there, and the article included photos of the wreck, and mentioned one of the cannons from the wreck had been moved to the the old Sarasota county court house.

You get to the Point of Rocks area by going to Siesta Key, and driving south about four miles to Crescent Beach Parking lot. Point of Rocks is just north of the main beach there.

The shipwreck is supposed to be a hundred yards or so off shore.

I've found lots of recent drops there, but nothing from the ship wreck. But I was told by another detectorist that he had found a half reale out on the sandbar in front of the beach.

If you go, you'll find plenty of free parking, clean restrooms, and lots of white sandy beaches.

Bill

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the name of that book and where did you get it? Some very interesting stuff...Ive traveled through a lot of those places over the years.
The book he is reading is called United States Treasure Atlas, Vol.3 by Thomas P Terry. there is 10 Volumes in the set, I paid $175 ,20 years ago.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any info on this spot? There's plenty of mention of it in the treasure atlas but I'm having a hell of a time finding any info aside of the atlas.
Cheers
:skullflag:
See if you can find a 250 year old TOPO map that should help a lot.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A little more info on what may be an obscure treasure legend: W.C. Jameson in his 2012 book " Florida's Lost and Buried Treasures " talks about a wooden chest with strap iron five feet by two feet seen by fishermen in 1921 which they unsuccessfully tried to recover. A hurricane hit the next day before they could go back changing the entire contour of the beach. In 1934 a group built a fifty foot pier and divers looked for the chest reportedly with no success.

Snorkeling Point-of-Rocks, Siesta Key, Florida

I spent a week here recently but Tropical Storm Andrea made diving impossible. See link above, good info here, click on more photo and video, there is a video showing you where to park near the rocks. See my recent thread on the same subject.

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
i go here a lot. excellent snorkeling spot. have yet to detect it. there's someones ashes in a floating tube, chained to a cement cross out there!!

OP
OP
ToddD

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies and the info. I'm heading over there soon. I usually go to lido, it's a few minutes closer, but next time I'll go play by point of rocks.
I'll take the snorkel gear and the MD and try to set aside at least a few hours to play. Visibility has been pretty good lately. Hopefully calm conditions will hold out.
The book is really interesting but finding information to support the data is difficult.

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
do you have scuba gear?? i could take you to a real cool spot thats only a short swim/kayak ride from there. theres a ton of rock pilings and coral. its a little deeper, so snorkeling and detecting wouldn't be too easy. i've been itching to go there with my detector. i just dont have anyone to go with!

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have scuba gear?? i could take you to a real cool spot thats only a short swim/kayak ride from there. theres a ton of rock pilings and coral. its a little deeper, so snorkeling and detecting wouldn't be too easy. i've been itching to go there with my detector. i just dont have anyone to go with!

That sounds like fun! I'm certified and have gear. I'd probably go with you sometime. How deep is it exactly?

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ToddD

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do scuba but would have to rent gear. I'm anxious to buy some but not enough steaks in the freezer right now.
If anyone wants to plan a shallow water trip and wants a buddy let me know.
I'll post up when I make it out there and let you guys know how it was.
P.S. Anyone spearfish out there? I'm thinking about taking the polespear out too.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for turning my hunting spot into a tourist destination. I really liked that spot to it was always so quiet.

Dew

OP
OP
ToddD

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for turning my hunting spot into a tourist destination. I really liked that spot to it was always so quiet.

Dew

If you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you.
Also, I got a laugh from your sig line "Those who know...... dont talk, those who talk.....dont know." says a guy on a forum.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate that shoulder, but for some reason i dont feel the love... how bout you? All of us do research.... but most with any sense dont post where we are hunting..... why because we have a little respect for the others that might be hunting there as well. Its like me saying all my finds are coming from a certain beach and im not even in that area.... doubt the hunters in that area would appreciate that much. As far as me being on a forum.... its just another way to enjoy the hobby and pass on some things ive learned over the years. That sig line .... is "Tao Te Ching" and later used in reference to Watergate. At least you got my point.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I try to watch what I say on the open forum...like when you meet someone from TNET at a beach, I wouldn't say "Nice to meet you at so and so beach the other day, because they may have posted something from their hunt on here"...you can always use PMs to talk about specific places...Im just glad people post their finds...I don't expect them to tell me where, but I sure wouldn't mind it. :laughing7:

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:

Dew

your spot?? apparently you havent been there with the hundreds of snorkelers that go there on a weekly basis. its very spread out and is obviously no secret

I do scuba but would have to rent gear. I'm anxious to buy some but not enough steaks in the freezer right now.
If anyone wants to plan a shallow water trip and wants a buddy let me know.
I'll post up when I make it out there and let you guys know how it was.
P.S. Anyone spearfish out there? I'm thinking about taking the polespear out too.

i spearfish, but use a gun. i do deeper dives out in the gulf

That sounds like fun! I'm certified and have gear. I'd probably go with you sometime. How deep is it exactly?

at its deepest, its about 15-20ft. but most of it is only around 10ft or so

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at its deepest, its about 15-20ft. but most of it is only around 10ft or so

Oh wow, nice and easy then. I have spearfishing and underwater detecting gear - I'm up for either. Let's plan an outing. Is it a shore dive? I have a paddle board, but it's only good for one tank + gear, two or more tanks is too much weight (learned the hard way, haha).

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
Oh wow, nice and easy then. I have spearfishing and underwater detecting gear - I'm up for either. Let's plan an outing. Is it a shore dive? I have a paddle board, but it's only good for one tank + gear, two or more tanks is too much weight (learned the hard way, haha).

its a shore dive. i have access to a decent size ocean kayak that can hold gear and tow a floating dive flag. you can park at the public beach access at the foot of the south bridge, but the parking is limited. if we were to go out, the earlier the better. ive been scouting it out and have just been freediving that area over the last two weeks. because of the storms, the water has been pretty crappy. hopefully it gets better soon!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread