Sealing an Aluminum handle on a sand scoop?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think you could spray paint it with the right kind of paint.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
My question is can you clean, seal polish an aluminum handle to prevent a recurrence?

I went to Home Depot and bought a can of Plasti Dip Rubber coating used to coat metal tool handles. I also bought a self expanding eye bolt.
I then cut the end out of the rubber grip on the aluminum handle, and inserted the eye bolt, and expanded it so it was secure. Then I dipped the handle in the plasti coat and let it dry.
This resulted in a longer rubber grip on the handle, plus a way for me to clip the handle to a cord I clipped to my belt.

I've been using it this way for four years - about time for another dip in the plasti coat.

Bill sandscoophandle.jpg

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to replace the end handle part, bicycle handles fit perfectly and are much more padded and comfortable than the hard rubber or plastic handles scoops usually come with.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Home Depot and bought a can of Plasti Dip Rubber coating used to coat metal tool handles. I also bought a self expanding eye bolt.
I then cut the end out of the rubber grip on the aluminum handle, and inserted the eye bolt, and expanded it so it was secure. Then I dipped the handle in the plasti coat and let it dry.
This resulted in a longer rubber grip on the handle, plus a way for me to clip the handle to a cord I clipped to my belt.

I've been using it this way for four years - about time for another dip in the plasti coat.

Bill View attachment 818935

Plasti-dip will wear off over time I tried it, haven't tried truck bed liner yet...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use gloves..it just so happens I am in the business of gloves. Mine are Ansell hyflex 11-600.

AnsellPro.com HyFlex 11-600 Glove

Helps with grip and I can still handle everything due to the light coating. Glove wicks moisture quick in the cloth areas and the grip stays when wet!!!!

Get a very tight pair because they do stretch but I wash them by hand with soap and water and air dry!! Waaahhhmmoooo good to go!!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use plasti dip also. It comes in variety of very bright colors . most blaze colors look better with white undercoat, with orange being the exception. I did the majority of the shaft for safety reasons (high visibility). It is available on line just do a google search

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use gloves..it just so happens I am in the business of gloves. Mine are Ansell hyflex 11-600.

AnsellPro.com HyFlex 11-600 Glove

Helps with grip and I can still handle everything due to the light coating. Glove wicks moisture quick in the cloth areas and the grip stays when wet!!!!

Get a very tight pair because they do stretch but I wash them by hand with soap and water and air dry!! Waaahhhmmoooo good to go!!

where might we find these gloves? Say in MA?

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can spray clear (Polly) on the handle.I were dive gloves now but the clear works great.You can get it in a spray can.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased Tennis Racket grip wrap at Walmart. After wrapping the handle I spray painted it with clear laquer. Been like that over a year with no problems

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the same problem. Tried the plastic spray, tried gloves (still came through) I just used electrical tape and it seems to have solved the problem. no more black hands.:icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using the slip on heat shrinkable tubing for heavy electrical work. I believe thats what VA Max uses. Ive used the clear plastic dip spray never stays on.... the water will eventually get between it and the aluminum and you can pull it off..... but works for awhile.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread