Hunting in Pinpoint mode?

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of the Minelab Excal users do this in the water,do any of the Fisher Cz21 users do it ? I tried it today in the water with my Cz21. I was at at one of my normal "clean" beaches, where I dig everything anyway. it was a time saver. I can't see using this at trashy spots.Do you loose the ability to detect targets on the outside fringe of the coil in pinpoint mode,and are you just picking up what is directly below the coil? I know when I run in "autotune" mode,I can pickup targets an inch or two from the outside edge of the coil. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised that none of the Fisher CZ
0fficiandos have chimed in as they were usually quite supportive.
Maybe it's because some of the more vocal ones have switched to the CTX- 3030, I don't know.

Even though I have never used a Fischer CZ anything, I will pass on my experience with the Xcal hoping that it might stir up
some interest as the Minelab has priced themselves out of the price range of many shallow water hunters.
Hope this stirs up some interest.

I hunt with an Excalibur ll 1000 in the discrimination mode:

The targets that I detect on the outside fringe of my coil are usually Iron - mostly bottlecaps.
Rings usually have a clean tone and are under the coil.
Since the ten inch coil is a wide field coil multiple targets, such as in a coin spill, are difficult to differentiate and appear as one huge target - especially when they are shallow.
I don't bother switching to the pin point mode when retrieving a target.

I switch to all metal mode, when targets are either few and far between (no heed to discriminate), or when I want additional information on a target. I remove shallow targets first in discrimination mode. This I listen for faint signals of deeper targets in all metal mode with the volume set at maximum without hurting my ears.

As the CZ-21 has a slightly wider diameter and is concentric coil it should detect deeper than the Minelab DD coil. However, it will be
affected by tmultiple targets as it sees more of the complex ground matrix under it's cone shape pattern than the Minelab DD coil would see with it's narrow butcher blade like pattern.

You will be able to cover more ground with the CZ-21 as it works better with a faster sweep speed than the Xcal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread