Sonnys Navajo ring find renewed my interest in restoring the green turquoise stone

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sonny's Navajo ring find renewed my interest in restoring the green turquoise stone

in the one I found last week; I wanted to get rid of the scratches on the stone, so

I purchased some 2000 GRIT sandpaper ( never tried this before) , and gently sanded the stone, following with a buffing using Black jewelers rouge.

I was pleased with the results; most of the scratches are gone, but it could probably use a bit more work.

Purchased the sandpaper at an Auto Merchandise store; not available at Home Depot.

At the risk of "overkill" with pics of this ring, I'd like to show you the "before " and "after " of the stone for those who may be interested.

I initially thought of selling this ring, but now I think I will definitely keep it.

Here's the pics

Thank you for looking

Lorraine

DSCF2416.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you , Hamid, Diggin'Dave,and Captain Pop Top.

Lorraine

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it. Turquoise is one of my favorite stones.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you, Susan

Lorraine

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you , Hamid, Diggin'Dave,and Captain Pop Top.

Lorraine
You're welcome and thank you so very much for your great post:director::wav::icon_study::blob1::blob10::blob5::blob7::blob3::blob6::blob9::blob8:

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tooth paste also works good you can use it to remove scratches from watch faces but your ring looks great

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
tooth paste also works good you can use it to remove scratches from watch faces but your ring looks great

thank you for the suggestion, Rogerv...much appreciated

Lorraine

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gal! When you make up your mind to get something done, you go all out. There's no stopping you. That's nice work.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Gal! When you make up your mind to get something done, you go all out. There's no stopping you. That's nice work.

You inspired me , Sonny with that really nice Navajo Eagle ring that you found!:hello2:

Lorraine

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hate to sound supersticous but i would try to find a reservation and see if maybe theres a owner i would not want to anger spirits

Idigack

Aug 18, 2012
ACK
Detector(s) used
excal11 10 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...looks great ...could you please list in details on how to clean saltwater black covered silver so I can clean up some of the silver rings I found...besides electrolysis...thanks good luck in the future HH Dave

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks ,idigack

It's a simple process...not many steps:

For thickly tarnished items, I begin with electrolysis for as many minutes as it takes for the thick tarnish to slough off; then follow with a rinse, then a soak in Tarn-X for a few minutes and follow the soak with another rinse and then gentle scrubbing with Baking Soda.

Sometimes I make a paste of Tarn-X/baking soda and gently scrub with the paste.

Repeat the Tarn-X soak /baking soda scrub for a many times as it takes to get the tarnish completely removed.

There are other methods used by other members that are just as effective; perhaps they could post their methods for all of us to learn.

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread