Nulls that chirp, burp, bark, etc. - what you may be missing...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photo is an assortment of recent targets that presented a broken null, mostly junk jewelry one might expect to find in the bottom of the scoop after digging a broken null response. At the time of their recovery most of these items were encased in black sandy crust, each of them having since been treated by electrolysis to expose their exact identities. No real big surprises here, other then the fact that many of them contain copper as their base metal.

n1.jpg

Copper, one of the earliest and most convenient metals used by industrious men. The next photo is also of a broken null response, nearly the same response as a common bottle cap...the date on this old UK (I believe) coin is 1906.
n2.jpg n3.jpg

This is why I always dig these broken, burping, chirping, barking, nulls here on the east coast. Old ship nails were commonly made of copper, and who wouldn't like to discover evidence of the possible presence of an ancient shipwreck in the area? Just pointing out that if you're assuming that all nulls are iron you may be missing/skipping more then you realize. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're so right bigscoop!
I had a chirping barker just bugging me, I KNEW something was there.......
Pulled up the bottle cap, along with a 10k diamond and sapphire ring.
Also got nulled on a mentos wrapper, pushed it aside, underneath it was a SS Tiffany Mesh ring.

It can happen to you, too!
Kittay says to "smack down" dem chirpers and barkers! Rawr! :cat: :laughing7:

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok the new guy asks again...a null is when that wonderful hum goes silent...right? Ok so on the east coast the "burp" is a one way tone?

I ask because in my humble experience the bottle cap nightmare is what I get from those more then less.

I still do the EW-NS check on all of them but I still end up digging all of them!

Its ok my left arm is starting to look like Arnolds! Just looking for more info....I am sponge Bob!!

HH

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey blb,
for me, it's in the sounds (tones). Possibly because I was made to take music lessons most my young life.
There are the specific tones, legitimate targets make ie, gold, silver, foil, coins, etc......
It's the trained and focused ear, that knows the tones it knows. And, that's not to say, I'm not fooled too, I dig bottle caps and nulls too. Especially on slow silent days.
For me there is just those certain tones, that when you hear it, even through the chatter of the trash, well, you gotta get the trash outta the way, to get that dime! LOL! :laughing7:
I don't know how to teach that, other than, time and knowing your machine, and you got to be the one doing it. Hope that helps. :dontknow:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug one today It was Quarter, Nail, And Bottle cap In 1 Scoop!!! Sun baked us Out early!!! Chug

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the new guy asks again...a null is when that wonderful hum goes silent...right? Ok so on the east coast the "burp" is a one way tone?

I ask because in my humble experience the bottle cap nightmare is what I get from those more then less.

I still do the EW-NS check on all of them but I still end up digging all of them!

Its ok my left arm is starting to look like Arnolds! Just looking for more info....I am sponge Bob!!

HH

You got it. The null is when the hum goes away..."but only when in disc mode"...which I'm sure you're already aware of. And a great deal of the time it will be a bottle cap. But, some of these nulls with burps, chirps, etc., will be a bit different and this is where PP can help you out a bit because you can use PP to sort of get a better fix on the size of the target signature. A good bottle cap response will usually present a very solid/sharp/sized response in PP VS some of these other items that may present only faint or quick responses in PP. In disc these bottle caps will almost always present the usual dull blurps while some of these other items will present slightly higher burps/chirps, etc., or a combination of both. The later is very common with junk jewelry as many of them contain copper, nickel plating, etc. The problem with the null is that it is usually too long, or too broad to allow any type of target assessment, the minute it detects the item it goes into a nulled state and it will usually remain there until the entire coil/search field passes beyond the item, only then will it reset. PP allows you much better assessment of these potential burpy or chirpy nulling targets. The remote PP switch is an absolute advantage here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions