Feb 10, 2013
Surperfund, NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden uMax
HF 9 function Chinese POS
Seahunter MKII
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The only thing that's holding me back from buying an Excal II is the coil size. Will be on scuba and wading, fresh and salt, high trash areas and low trash areas...??? I've done some searches but I haven't got a clear answer...seen alot of 10" cois in use.
I just want to get the best coil..as opposed to the less best. Will the 10" be a negative other than weight/swing weight?..trashy areas...small gold??? Or is it worth the extra diameter for ground coverage per swing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Personnally, I have a 10" coil and wish it was an 8"..... mainly due to the weight and what others say the 8" will do over the 10".... I put in some marathon hunts and the 8" would allow me to smile the next day when I wake up, instead of wince when I move my arm in the morning.....

Cliff

lawrence_1md

Apr 22, 2013
Murphysboro, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Minelab Excalibur ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 10 inch coil and I like it. Its a preference thing truly.

I wish the Excalibur had a quick disconnect, like the connector on the battery, for the coil.

There are times I'd like to have a larger coil so that I can cover more beach quicker.

Either way you will wonder:
" what if I had the other coil"

Good luck with you decision!

TreasureNet by iPhone

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 inch coils are good for one thing , covering a lot of ground fast!! All my water detectors have 8 inch coils. A lot of the older hunter on this site like the 8 inch coil better than an 10 inch coil. Run a Poll, see what everyone like and how long they have been hunting !!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xcal 8" coil isnt 8". Its trade off.... more coverage at the expense of missing some smaller targets yet the 10" does find targets in the .5 gram range. Cliff i hear you.... in swift current the 10 can sure wear you out. Its also hunting style like those who choose not to keep digging small target as a time waster.... or those who choose a VLF over a PI. Its just a personal fit. Ive always used larger coils.... knowing dang well in some areas a small one would be more affective. Either choice will produce on the larger gold....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I like both, each is a winner. I would base what I get on my area...Jersey....wetsand...most places the 10, Rare..... but a few places you need the small 8....in the water the 8 for sure. Most hunters in Jersey, the 10...check with Facebook Brian

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
I have both the 8 and 10 inch excals. The 10 covers more ground. In the water, waist deep and higher you have lots of drag with the 10. The 8 inch glides in the water. I have found the same items with both coils. It all depends how deep you go. The 8 is a faster deep water coil and the 10 covers larger areas. I bought the 8 inch excal as my first water detector. It payed for its self on my first Cancun trip. Then I bought the 10 inch excal and that machine has payed for its self also. If you detect often both 8 and 10 inch coils to me are the way to go. Also go to a waist mount belt before you wind the coil wire on the stock shaft. The wire will take a coil shape that take a long time to un coil if you go to a straight shaft. Good luck Just look at it like a investment the more you detect the faster you will get a return on your investment. Thanks Joe

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's possible to hit on a perfect coil size for all of your hunting needs, which is why I've opted to modify my Excal with a connector so I can easily and quickly swap coils to match the conditions/circumstances I'll be hunting. I run the 8" all the way up to the 12x15 SEF. Coiltek has a pretty reliable connector but it's a bit pricy - especially when you start fitting out several coils. Thus far, however, other connectors are risky as the sand and salt will eventually invade the threads and seals, etc., and leakage will become an issue. Not sure what depth rating Coiltek has on their connectors but they seem to be really reliable for shallow work. The connector I'm using now is rated IP68 and it is mounted at the top of my straight shaft to keep it away from as much of the water hazard as possible - I did this because it too will has leaked on me before due to the salt/sand issue. I will say this, OBN installed the remote switch and a custom set of skullies on my machine a while back and these mods, along with the ability to swap coils, has really changed the way I hunt now and I've yet to encounter a hunting situation/requirement that I couldn't easily accommodate. "Efficency and adaptability."

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping Joe has time to get to mine in the fall for that PP switch. Im not certain why they dont use the same adaptor that say the Inf uses so we could swap coils. We had it going when the Sov was still on board. I was seeing after market coils hit the fields. IMO those coils and updated headphones have been the biggest change to detecting in the past 10 years. As far as depth ratings on the connectors.... i noticed Kellyco posted this about coils:Water resistant: May be splashed, washed, used in drizzling rain, or moved through wet grass. Must not be submersed under water.

Water proof: Submersible to 1 meter. Ideal for shallow water wading and gold prospecting in shallow streams

1 meter might be a problem for us water guys using the land coils as swaps. Id like to try and 8", but i think for the Sov im looking at the SunRay 8 which is a true 8. I have a 5" SunRay which is about 5 1/2".

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping Joe has time to get to mine in the fall for that PP switch. Im not certain why they dont use the same adaptor that say the Inf uses so we could swap coils. We had it going when the Sov was still on board. I was seeing after market coils hit the fields. IMO those coils and updated headphones have been the biggest change to detecting in the past 10 years. As far as depth ratings on the connectors.... i noticed Kellyco posted this about coils:Water resistant: May be splashed, washed, used in drizzling rain, or moved through wet grass. Must not be submersed under water.

Water proof: Submersible to 1 meter. Ideal for shallow water wading and gold prospecting in shallow streams

1 meter might be a problem for us water guys using the land coils as swaps. Id like to try and 8", but i think for the Sov im looking at the SunRay 8 which is a true 8. I have a 5" SunRay which is about 5 1/2".

Dew

I was somewhat concerned with the "waterproof" aspect of aftermarket coils myself, but I've had the WOT and 12 x 15 all the way out into chest deep water quite a bit with no problems thus far. One other thing, these larger coils still perform pretty well out in the deeper water, what little they lose in depth and sensitivity they make up for with the increased coverage area. I'm not afraid of missing too much anymore out there with these larger coils to say, 8" - 10" deep or so. Maybe miss some of the finer and deeper stuff but I think the tradeoff is worth it during these recent drop periods.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 10" and am happy with it. I'm 48 not in good shape and I can swing it for six hours no problem. My legs give out long before my arm...
I know I dug a small piece of iron, and pull tabs at 18"+ to me any smaller and you would be chasing the target for too long... I just wish they sold a 12". When mine is out of warranty I will put the connector on it also...

OP
OP
F

FishFood

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Surperfund, NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden uMax
HF 9 function Chinese POS
Seahunter MKII
Primary Interest:
I would like to thank everyone for giving their input. I figured the wealth of Excal experience on TN would help me settle on a coil and it has. Now I'm leaning towards the 8" mainly due to the trashiness of some of my old swimming hole, beach hunting spots and the reduced drag associated with chest deep and scuba hunts. Like it's been said b4, as soon as it falls out of warranty, I'll be looking to do some cable cutting and coil/headphone upgrades if I need the extra swing coverage.
Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions