LOS ANGELES BEACH DETECTING FOR THE 5TH OF JULY ?

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Santa Monica Beach is hit hard, but still produces. This time of year it will be packed on the 4th. HH GFP

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beaches closest to you is the plan as the grass isn't always greener farther away. You waste more time, gas driving farther away where the completion is heaver.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A lot of the "regulars" down there do the human nature thing, and go to where the highest traffic and most-upscale spots are. Makes sense afterall, right? But .... it has the odd-effect of simply meaning that .... doh ... those spots also get the most detecting traffic!

I know an expert beach hunter down there, who actually prefers the beach closest to his home (He's near LAX area). EVEN though those beaches closest to his home are not actually the touristy beaches. Ie.: they're just residentials abutting the shoreline there, and more of a "Locals" feel to the clientele. Contrast to the hotel and glamor beaches (Malibu, Santa Monica, etc...) where it's more of your upscale tourists/traveller type arrivals (and higher #'s of crowds too, I suppose). So I asked him one time why he's not going to those beaches further north than him, which are older, more crowds, etc... His answer was that whenever he'd gone there, after erosion, or after crowds leave, so too were other md'rs all vying for the targets. Contrast to his "newer" residentials type beaches, where he'd almost always be the only one hunting. So if it were good, he'd have it all to himself.

Also: It's practically a given that ALL the beaches in So. CA are covered with people (yes, some more-than-others), so really, you don't need to dismiss the potential of any of them. The LA basin has millions of people, so on hot days, ALL of them get traffic. Some people avoid the famous namesake ones, and purposefully go to the "residential" feel ones, just to avoid paying the parking meters, for instance.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Streetglide!

The 5th is going to be busy, very busy. Go as early as you can.

The blanket line, wet sand and shallow water produces best ...BUT if you are a patient soul you can sometimes do even better in out of the way places, on these beaches, which take more effort to reach. I do especially good checking out the perimeter where less detecting traffic occurs.

Best of Luck, Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread