Little silver and gold snorkel detecting with SonnyFl

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Second time out snorkel detecting and being tutored by Joe (SonnyFl), managed to find some silver and some gold. The area we were in had a huge amount of iron under the sand and it took me about 5 minutes to figure out what the heck was wrong with the Excal (nothing)... I had an almost constant null with occasional crappy tones (read Bigscoops post, it came to mind out there). Once I figured out the null was due to an over abundance of iron, I started fanning/digging all the burbs of tones that sounded good. Started picking up some dimes and pennies doing that and then hit on my first of two rings. The ring was under the sand in a layer of clay bottom and I ended up using the scoop to dig her up. Fire agate with CZ's and marked Sterling. about 30 minutes later I had a broken tone somewhat like a double beep which got my attention.... out comes a 925 bracelet still closed with the clasp.... must have slipped off OR when she took it off to put it in her pocket, it slipped fell in the water. Found one discharged bullet (pistol) and ended up picking up a junk toe ring.

Joe and I moved to another beach after 3 hours in the water and my first target at this beach was a quarter sized hoop earring that had small rings of yellow metal.... rest of the time at that beach was short lived due to lots of rain. Testing at home proved the hoop to be silver with 10k gold rings attached.... can't be a whole gram of gold but gold non the less....

I'll let Joe post his finds later tonight when he has time, I would however like to thank him for taking the time to show me how to snorkel detect. He, along with the others from this Forum I've had the pleasure to meet since my move to Florida prove what kind of people we have here on Treasure Net.

HH out there and GL all
Cliff

Attachments

• snorkel finds.jpg
    snorkel finds.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 143
  • bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Hoop w gold.jpg
    Hoop w gold.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver finds cdv...glad to meet you the other day...good luck out there.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
cdv1, you found some really nice treasures!:hello2:

I like that earring ..unique style:icon_thumright:

Guess it's time for me to move to Fla!8-)

Lorraine

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine..... you have to have a passport, get all 100 questions correct on the test, and sign an agreement not to metal detect.... new rules for moving to Fl. Whats next Cliff tanks lol.

Dew

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Nice finds cdv!

lawrence_1md

Apr 22, 2013
Murphysboro, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Minelab Excalibur ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I've always wanted to snorkel or scuba detect. What general location are you at in Florida?

TreasureNet by iPhone

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to have a friend that will guide you along on this, opening up a whole new area in detecting...Cool treasure....cdv

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pickings. you are learning from an old pro on snorkeling. Sonny, holds his breath so long I sometimes think he drowned. His lung capacity is 10X what mine is and he is older than me.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it sometimes but still a lot to learn , how much weight do you wear on your weight belt ?

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cliff! Your a fast learner. I truly had a ball yesterday. I posted the video. I still don't know how I did it. Thanks to Les for telling how. NO! You can't count each one of those loops as GOLD. :tongue3:

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 30 pounds and it seems to work so so, but I feel I need more, the guy at the dive shop told me I'm crazy and its too much, and its the kind of belt that you stick the bags of B.B's in it. no matter how tight I make it around my waist still gives me problems of being loose, I think I bought the cheap kind and may need to upgrade, but after huntin the walk to the car it feels like I'm toting a hundred pounds and gotta stop and take a break, another problem I get is after awhile the inside of my mouth dry's out from the snorkel is that something you got to get used to or any tricks for that ? but I really like snorkel huntin, and its funny how the same fish stay with ya all day, last time I had a huge sheep head right their as im recovering targets I was worried about him biting my fingers

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lorraine..... you have to have a passport, get all 100 questions correct on the test, and sign an agreement not to metal detect.... new rules for moving to Fl. Whats next Cliff tanks lol.

Dew

Hey, Dew...I got the passport, "aced " the test, and they graciously waived the demand for signing an agreement when I told them that I was a member of Treasure Net Beach and Shallow Water Forum...and that I was a good friend of your's.:laughing7:

I'm on the next flight out to the Gulf Coast!:laughing7:

LO

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I have 30 pounds and it seems to work so so, but I feel I need more, the guy at the dive shop told me I'm crazy and its too much, and its the kind of belt that you stick the bags of B.B's in it. no matter how tight I make it around my waist still gives me problems of being loose, I think I bought the cheap kind and may need to upgrade, but after huntin the walk to the car it feels like I'm toting a hundred pounds and gotta stop and take a break, another problem I get is after awhile the inside of my mouth dry's out from the snorkel is that something you got to get used to or any tricks for that ? but I really like snorkel huntin, and its funny how the same fish stay with ya all day, last time I had a huge sheep head right their as im recovering targets I was worried about him biting my fingers

There are a lot of variables that come into play for how much weight you need. Things like body composition (are you a floater or a sinker?), body weight, wearing a wet suit or not, equipment attached to your body, type of water (salt or fresh), all of these things come into play for the amount of weight you need. What the guy at the dive shop didn't take into consideration is the fact you want to sink and stay at the bottom, divers want neutral bouyancy and control in their dives and use a BC to compensate as needed. When they hear snorkel, they don't think .....sink. I weigh 210 and I'm 6'1" tall and in salt water without a wet suit, 38 pounds puts me on the bottom and I stay there, add a shortie wet suit and I want to start coming off the bottom somewhat. A full wet suit and I'd need to add a few pounds of weight.

I also have one of the belts that you add soft packs of lead shot, mine is a 6 pocket and have 5 pounders in each pocket and have 5 one pounders in with them. Either my scale or the scale used to weigh the bags is off because that weighs 38 pounds (should be 35 + the belt nylon). Here is a link to a shoulder harness that you can get for under $25 to add to your belt, it will put some of the weight on your shoulders and make things better for you by the end of the day. Works great for me and all thanks goes to SonnyFl for this.....it was one of the first questions I asked him when we met.

Weight Belt Suspenders belt harness&Hit=1

As for putting on the belt, what works for me is to put the belt in place, bend at the waist so the weight is on the back and then tighten the belt up. It seems to place it properly on your back without it trying to slip down.... prior to doing it that way, I had some times it slipped down to my ankles when in the water. I think you will really like the shoulder harness.

Cliff

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain! If the dive shop knew what they were talking about they would have suggested to use a harness. Cliff got one and you should have seen the relief on his face. Divers Direct in Orlando might have them, or on line. You will get use to the dry mouth. GoodLuck!

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks im gonna get that harness, it was one of the guys at bill jacksons and I told him what I was doing, but I think your right he was probably not clicking in I want to stay on the bottom, I sink but I don't stay for to long and start to move, I really like snorkeling and metaldetecting at the same time once I got used to it after a few times going I was hooked, just got to fix a couple of these small problems and practice holding my breath longer, got to get the inside of my mouth used to having the snorkel mouth piece in for a long time, thanks for the tip on the harness definitely getting that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread