dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have seen a few needles on the beach as well as seen many references made about them laying on the beaches. Where are they coming from? Drug users on the beach or diabetics? or are they washing in with the tides? I am not paranoid about them but would like to know where they primarily are coming from...Don't want to get aids!

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same fear(s), especially when there is not enough metal in them to be detected by a metal detector.
Most likely the majority of them are from improper disposal of sharps from the hospitals.
These most likely would wash in with the times, and in this situation there could be many needles in a small area.
It would be nice to know how long an infected needle is dangerous, by that I mean would the virus be destroyed by salt water over what period.

Obviously, the greatest danger would be from first drops, by drug users.
You would most likely avoid, these beaches anyway, which are well known by locals for safety reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would think that if the needle is rusty that any virus on it would be dead, but...?

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
That's why I wear dive boots in the dry or wet. We have had so much medical waste wash up in the past. And since Sandy only a few inches down rusty nails, rusty pieces of wire in almost every town, nuts and bolts.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! You can't afford to take a chance if punctured.

In the tropics, you are more likely to be cut by sharp coral.
Staph infections(s) are a big problem in Hawaii especially near a river mouth where the water runs slowly into the ocean.

I use a composit spade, stick what ever so I don't have to use my hands to dig.
I use the scoop to spread the dumped sand out rather than the side of my foot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's a good point about spreading the sand with the scoop rather than your foot. I always go barefoot but it is making me think twice...

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if has been in the surf pretty much safe it seems...
I read this a long time ago before I stepped foot on a beach, my wife had read about medical waste washing up on shore and was worried....
Needle stick injuries in the community

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
HIV can survive outside the body for about 45 seconds. The biggest danger of getting stuck with a rusty needle is tetanus....so you better be up to date. Also, beaches have a lot of decaying things around which can be infested by bacteria. Hence, a needlestick could lead to a staph infection. If you get stuck by a needle then rinse it off in fresh water, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and place a band-aid over it. If you get stuck deep and have numbness or lost of movement then see a doctor immediately. You may have hit a nerve. No pun intended.

Crispin

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkies dispose of them regularly. Quite common occurrence also for them to wash ashore up north from the dumps.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All man sick! I may wear snake boots now! Booties may not be enough protection. I love kicking the sand with bootied foot to find target. It's the funnest part about beach detecting.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
HIV can survive outside the body for about 45 seconds. The biggest danger of getting stuck with a rusty needle is tetanus....so you better be up to date. Also, beaches have a lot of decaying things around which can be infested by bacteria. Hence, a needlestick could lead to a staph infection. If you get stuck by a needle then rinse it off in fresh water, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and place a band-aid over it. If you get stuck deep and have numbness or lost of movement then see a doctor immediately. You may have hit a nerve. No pun intended.

Crispin
Thanks for the reply Crispin, I am up to date on my tetanus shot. Is there any disease that can survive outside the body long term?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good point about spreading the sand with the scoop rather than your foot. I always go barefoot but it is making me think twice...
Ewwww, if you watched all them birds on our beach poop everywhere, please diesalram, start wearing shoes! I used to be a barefoot kinda gal. Until I got a blood infection so bad, (from a small cut on my little toe), that dr's almost had to amputate my foot! I still have those scars from 30 years ago.

Crispin is right about the tetanus, be sure you are up on your tetanus. We're always getting poked with stuffs. Be safe everyone!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply Crispin, I am up to date on my tetanus shot. Is there any disease that can survive outside the body long term?

There are very few viruses that can live outside the human body. However, there are many bacteria that can live for many days and spirochetes that can live outside for weeks, and fungi that can live outside for months.

I hunt barefoot. Use common sense and you will be fine. Don't step in bird poop...you can get an infection anywhere at any time. If you get an open wound then rinse it out in fresh water, apply antibiotic ointment, and apply band-aid. It really is that simple. Unless you are immuno-compromised you should be fine. Yes, flesh eating amobeas exist...better chance of getting struck by lightening, winning the lottery, or being afraid of a government takeover. :)

Crisp

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, down here, we are considered the tropics. Mold grows everywhere and we contend with like 95% humidity, year round.
Infections can and will flourish faster in this "concrete slab over a septic tank" that we call S. Florida. We're also the lightning capitol! LOL! Oh, and did you know, that sometimes when they test our beaches, the e-coli levels are so high, well, they don't close them, but they tell you it's not safe to swim. When them seagulls and other little sea birds, congregate on the beach by the hundreds! Trust me, it's not "just a little poop" you can step over. It's nasty, not to mention the dirty diapers, used condoms, puke and piss, and everything else you might can imagine.

I don't know bout the rest of ya'll, but it's nasty! YUK! Put them shoes on! Oh, and they almost taken over Miami, so, they may wanna take over the government next! And you know, we're all gonna hit the lottery! :laughing7:

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Crispin, down here, we are considered the tropics. Mold grows everywhere and we contend with like 95% humidity, year round.
Infections can and will flourish faster in this "concrete slab over a septic tank" that we call S. Florida. We're also the lightning capitol! LOL! Oh, and did you know, that sometimes when they test our beaches, the e-coli levels are so high, well, they don't close them, but they tell you it's not safe to swim. When them seagulls and other little sea birds, congregate on the beach by the hundreds! Trust me, it's not "just a little poop" you can step over. It's nasty, not to mention the dirty diapers, used condoms, puke and piss, and everything else you might can imagine.

I don't know bout the rest of ya'll, but it's nasty! YUK! Put them shoes on! Oh, and they almost taken over Miami, so, they may wanna take over the government next! And you know, we're all gonna hit the lottery! :laughing7:
That is pretty nasty for sure! Gross!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is scary to think you might get stuck. Be safe I have had some nasty cuts in this hobby. I look like I have been in a cat fight right now from the black berry bushes and saw briars last weekend.:tongue3:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow, that is pretty nasty. The gulf is pretty clean. I would hunt with shoes on down there. Luckily, I am able to enjoy the feel of the ocean and sand in the overly hunted, rarely find anything, St. Pete to Clearwater beaches. But heh, I'm not going out there for the gold. That is just a perk.

Crispin

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Hospitals at one time could dump their waste in the ocean.
My Brother told me VA did it along with Sewage. He works at an electric plant down there and says what they pick out of the scrubbers would shock you.
I SURF fish RI and seen a needle float by one day which kinda makes you think.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm not buying it that you cant get aids after 45 seconds(what if they are wrong).And with the SUPER diseases out there you never know. I always wash up after detecting and cleanse my detector heads,with doggie do and cigaretts etc you never know what lurks as I worked in a 9 story hospital in the emergency room and the morgue doing autopsyies etc,you never know. shortribs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions