good entry detector for river banks and stream beds?

csturtz

Jun 30, 2013
I'm looking to buy my first metal detector and plan on hunting a lot of river banks and along-side streams (Missouri). I'm looking for something <$300 to get started. I'd really prefer something good all-around so it does well on some farms I have access to, but I didn't know if wanting to hint those river/stream locations would limit my choices.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The $300.00 limits what you want to buy, I'd say save up some more money and get yourself an AT Pro, I don't have one but for what you said you want to do this would be your best bet. I think they are around 600 to 700 new (I could be wrong). It is water proof and has a screen to tell you what the target should be and the depth, from what I hear its a good all round detector. I just don't think you'll find anything cheaper, except a used one on eBay

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save up and get an AT-Pro. $300 won't get you anything suitable for your needs.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are a few in your price range but nothing waterproof...
The coils are water proof but the control box is not...
There are true water proof detectors but like others have stated they are about twice your budget.
I don't have one but just like the others, I hear the at pro is a good choice for fresh water...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are NOT going to get the head wet get a tesoro. I found a lot with mine . I have since bought an atpro. But to date found more with the tesoro. Water drops I hope that changes. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AT Pro! Look on craigslist, thats where I bought mine last October. It was less than a month old, he had the receipt to prove it and I bought it for $380.

OP
OP
C

csturtz

Jun 30, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help. I was wondering though about the Fisher F2. I've read posts from a few people indicating it does well on land and around water? Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I went into Radio Shack and I purchased a Discovery 2000 with 8" coil and had them order me a 4" coil, which arrived fairly soon. I hunted a lot of freshwater environments with it, including rivers where the 4" coil proved to be a real plus around the rocks, etc. Honestly, for the money, the thing did pretty well to about 8 or 9 inches on coins and around 6"-7" on an average sized man's 14k yellow gold band. For the money (about $199.00 at the time plus the extra coil, another $45 or so, and headphones, another $30 = $274.00) the machine more then paid for itself and performed at a pretty good entry level. I kept the thing for several years as a backup or for whenever I wanted to use the 4" coil. But it is basically a Bounty Hunter and it is an entry level machine.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember back as a kid ... The 'ol man had the top of the line Garrett ... Santy Clause brought me 'ol blue ... It was really old school bounty hunter, blue in color. Control box the size of a shoe box... I ran circles around the 'ol mans Garrett with it... Point: You can have the best machine money can buy, at the end of the day, it, and the cheapest, do the exact same thing ... Machines crosses metal, machine go beep.

Happy Hunting & a Safe 4th!

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically you can use any metal detector in the water- up to the control box, but if you slip on a rock and the detector goes under, there goes your investment, that's why a lot if us are recommending the AT pro, not because its better than brand x,its because of it's all terrain capably.

The f-2 in my book is nothing more than a bounty hunter with a different name on it, correct my if I'm wrong, I think they are owned by the same company.
I bought one for my nine year old and sold it about 4 months later, he lost interest in it, but it wasn't built to bad and the vdi numbers where just about the same as my v3i which I liked cause if he learn that one, someday I could have given him mine and he would have had a lesser learning curve.

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I have been diving rivers with a Whites Surf Master II since 1993 and I still own and use my original detector. I understand that White's stopped making them several years ago but they can still be found on craigslist and in the used/for sale sections of most detecting forums. The factory set up came with a land handle and you could purchase also a short diving handle. I have used mine with great success on land and in the water. To quote DewGuru "if machines crosses metal, machine beeps" is so true, all the technology does not matter if there is nothing in the ground to be recovered. My detector new in 1993 cost $599.00 and it has paid for itself many times over. A used one should be 1/2 to 1/4th the original price.

That is my 2 cents worth, good luck and HH.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out a guy called "Aquachigger" on youtube Beau Ouimette - YouTube He uses an AT Pro to great effect in the rivers. Also, for Craigslist ads, check out something called Search Tempest. It lets you search multiple craigslists at the same time.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others say id also go with the pro but while ur saving up check into some used machines if ur planning on only goin knee high or so just about all would do most machines r waterproof up to the power Box

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 250. For a low budget detector ($225.00) with a lot of features including great depth and sensitivity. I have dropped it in the river taken it home took it apart blow dryed it on low heat and she was fine. This has happened a couple of times and she never failed me! I have found many beautiful items in the river. C my profile and finds. At least 50% found with Ace

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do very well hunting the creeks and rivers of Missouri with a Fishers 1280-X. I would recommend the 8 inch coil as it is easier to get around the larger rocks in the streams. The machine can also be used to land detect and can be configured to chest or waist. I use mine every year in the competition hunts in Sapulpa OK and do very well there also. The machine is a VLF machine and has discrimination so you can tune out the junk and iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread