The Newest Menace on Florida East Coast Beaches

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my humble opinion these should be restricted from use along Florida's public beaches. I've been harpooned by them a couple of times and I'm sure swimmers have emerged from the water with these same tiny and painful mystery wounds. It seems that I am finding more and more of them to the point that they have now become quite common, yesterday I recovered three of them, today I recovered two more. (Not only are they dangerous to swimmers but they are also a real pain in the butt to capture in your scoop, especially when working the deeper water.) Just this year alone I've already recovered a five gallon bucket full of them. I don't usually wear foot protection, but these little weighted harpoons may be the cause of my changing that soon. Some of these body piercings measure over 3" long.

menace.jpg

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go...go to news. Announce your spot. Garner attention...and get MDing banned eventually...and in the interim...double or tripple your competition. :icon_thumright:

I would welcome it doubling or tripling my competition Joeb, as there is far more trash left behind by others than I can pick up in several lifetimes.

Thinking of sponsoring a trash day for all (metal detector optional) who would like to participate.
Where the beach would be randomly selected by spinning a broken bottle, or reaching into a pile of sharp objects with numbers on them .
Prizes would be awarded for the following categories:
Things that puncture - Syringes, open knifes, hooks, etc
Things that cut: - broken glass, sharp lids from cans most likely: Sardine, Spam, Vienna Sausage.etc
Things that are unsanitary - Used baby diapers, bagged pet poo, human waste, etc
Things that destroy wildlife: small plastic particles, plastic bottles, fish nets, etc
Unmentionables
Surprise(s) as voted on by participants.

Rules: Points will be deducted when anything of value is displayed or shown.
Beaches are to be prime tourist attractions – so they cannot be closed.
Any weapons found will be turned over to law enforcement.
Rioting, harassment, jeers, bad language, indecent exposure will not be tolerated.
Cell phones and walkee talkees must be turned off and remain off during the contest.
Still pictures and videos will be sent to the media and manufacturets of above items after the event so that they can focus on designs which do not destroy our environment in addition to / trade off for convenience.

Sadly, Joeb is probably right in that the worst beaches will most likely be closed to the public as banning is easier than cleaning up ones act. All I know is that I would not want to take my family to any of the beaches that would be banned as I value my families health.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I pick it all up line,hooks,weights bullions. Some of the hooks are still good and will be used again by me. The problem is my fishing hobby has been dramatically affected by my metal addiction. I bet I can some how mount a reel on the sand shark. Yea thats it. Keep your eyes out for the Penn Shark. Damit Jim she cant take much more.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your on to something, Sponge.
I have noticed that fish often follow me as I scrub my coil along the bottom.
Why not mount a miniature pole on top of the headphone band and give tourists and locals something to really talk about. Definitely You Tube material, if you could somehow figure out how to mount the camera.
A side benefit, is that other detectorists would not crowd you in the water.

I know that your not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, but that is funny.
Sure wish, I did not think of doing the same with my Excalibur.

Oh by the way, I have found several good hooks from a tacklebox spill over.
Brand new heavy surf rod holder, still could ring it up on the bar code.
Lots and lots of sinkers.
All I need to find is good surf rod and reel.
May need to switch to mask and snorkel for that.

Big scoops suggestion on a gigger has merit as long as you stick with the smaller coils.

You could also add a heavy duty stainless coil spring between the basket and shaft of your stand up water scoop with flip out foot steps so you could pogo out faster to deeper water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick it all up line,hooks,weights bullions. Some of the hooks are still good and will be used again by me. The problem is my fishing hobby has been dramatically affected by my metal addiction. I bet I can some how mount a reel on the sand shark. Yea thats it. Keep your eyes out for the Penn Shark. Damit Jim she cant take much more.

There are times of the year when I seem to step on a lot of flounder.....a gig has crossed my mind on several occasions. How bout we partner in a new venture as I have a new design for a "Giggler Coil" all worked out in my head. :laughing7:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
ForumRunner_20130720_210937.png

ForumRunner_20130720_210951.png

Workin on prototypes now Bigscoop. I think this can go big. Everything from production sales service all done USA. Were gonna start the next industrial revolution.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect to all, if you fish surrounded by swimmers , you are an idiot. If you are surf fishing for sharks and a group shows up and starts swimming around your deployed fishing rig, they are idiots. If you purposely lose expensive fishing weights, you are an idiot. Using your logic that fishing gear should not be used because it could get lost, we should stop using fishing hooks.

Just collect them like you would if it was other hazardous metal and know you are being a good detectorist.

Best of luck, and be safe.

It's not about being an idiot.
It is about using common sense, which unfortunately today is uncommon!

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sputnicks are worth $7 a piece. You actualy found a small fortune worth. Sell them to a tackle shop.
In my humble opinion these should be restricted from use along Florida's public beaches. I've been harpooned by them a couple of times and I'm sure swimmers have emerged from the water with these same tiny and painful mystery wounds. It seems that I am finding more and more of them to the point that they have now become quite common, yesterday I recovered three of them, today I recovered two more. (Not only are they dangerous to swimmers but they are also a real pain in the butt to capture in your scoop, especially when working the deeper water.) Just this year alone I've already recovered a five gallon bucket full of them. I don't usually wear foot protection, but these little weighted harpoons may be the cause of my changing that soon. Some of these body piercings measure over 3" long.

View attachment 823707

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions