Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind gold usually lays on top of clay due to it's density. Targets should be shallow, theoretically.

OP
OP
mnruxpin

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yea maybe, need to work on my pinpointing maybe, its pretty deep water, usually way over waist deep. I use excal 2, maybe im just missin em??? some are like 10 scoops to find target, they seem deep though....so hard to dig in chest deep water, the clay is like cement. i really think i just need the right tool for the job

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
mnruxpin.....does your scoop have a sharp, pointed tip on it, or is it rounded?

I know what you mean about that clay...it is a back buster!

Lorraine

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Yep, Lorraine is on to it..... three problems here, the clay, the water depth and the type of scoop. Stainless is thinner and cuts through the clay better than a flat edged aluminum, deeper water takes your weight off of the scoop when digging so possibly adding a weight belt to dig deeper... and then trying to sift through the clay with the scoop, it will wear you out so a floating sifter works better here if you don't have waves to contend with. It is easier to shake a sifter that floats then holding all the weight of the scoop and clay.

I used to hunt a freshwater lake in Pa. that would get drained down in fall. It had an inch or so of sand over the clay bottom and the targets would get pushed down in the clay. I went through a learning process there and quickly switched to the ss scoop with a point over the aluminum one with a flat edge and also built a sifter. I didn't have to worry about water depth due to the drain down but when I've experienced those conditions down here in Florida, having a weight belt on helps considerably.

Cliff

OP
OP
mnruxpin

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
yea its the rounded aluminum, not the sharp tip stainless. Im gonna try to sharpen it a little, the edges are really beat down. I have a weight belt with 30 lbs on it, will try that too.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Indiana clay was the standard, as was gravel, muck, and rock. To help counter this we used galvanized steel scoops with serrated lips, this allowing us to basically twist and cut/root our way into the clay/gravel/muck/rock. And a floating basket is a real asset when dealing with clay/rock/gravel/muck. Galvanized metal is fairly cheap and a good fabrication shop can easily make the bucket and handle assembly for you, save yourself some money and simply drill the holes and cut the serrations yourself.
Something like this...(a quick top view of bucket) All of our scoops also had Miller style handles.
sss.jpg

Last edited:

krbtrans

Greenie
May 4, 2011
My scoop is custom made stainless steel. Its about 25lbs and i abuse the heck out of it. My left arm looks like popeye from carrying it around. The scoop alone wears me out. Lol

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a RTG scoop, they make a stainless steel tip for them. And they are easy to put on.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt the bay and deal with the same conditions, I use SS only in these conditions, so you will need a SS tip for yours. One place the clay is so tuff it's like a brick. It's won't even break down in the sifter. One thing, if it is a old beach targets will be any depth. I would try and take little bitty scoops of the clay, if you try and go deep on the scoop sometimes the clay plug will flip over and the target will be in the plug. With this you may lose the target, I have chased them down and stomp them flat to find the targets. I like BigScoops idea, different. One thing to remember, the Excalibur can only hit so deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread