Upvote 0

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been taking the kids to the beach this holiday weekend, all the while scoping out where to detect when I'm free. (Killin me!) There are miles of beach and can't believe how many people there are. How do you know where to start? Or do you just jump in anywhere?

Great question and I am sure BS will chime in here. In JAX here I went today and looked N and S....went north and had a not so eventful day. Went N because we had a good erosion compared to the deposits we have been having. Now I wonder if I should have went S were I saw more depositors.

I am still learning to READ my beach. So with that I say learning my machine and learning to read the beach are my two concerns still!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Interesting Transition on the East Coast

As summer arrives and progresses, “the beach grows”. In the winter the beach is narrower, but as summer arrives and progresses the beach grows wider, meaning that the low tide waterline moves further out. Just how great of an effect is this? Consider the following:

Over a period of several weeks there will be so much summer sand pushed onto the beach that the first trough will get completely filled in, a trough that is anywhere from 4 to 6 feet deep and up to 50 feet wide in spots at low tide. Once this trough is filled in the second trough then becomes the first trough. This should give you an idea of just how far out the low tide waterline moves during this summer transition. It’s pretty amazing when we stop to consider just how much sand it takes to accomplish this.

But what is even more amazing is the effect this transition has on the throngs of beach-goers enjoying the beach and the effect it has on our beach hunting. As this waterline continues to move further out so does that swimming line. As the first trough continues to fill in the second trough gradually starts to become the favored play area for the adult population, or treasure-wearing crowd. So in essence, the treasure sources we seek also start to move further out at the same pace of this beach widening. And this is where the real problem begins to arise for us.

“Surf, Surges, & Current”….in the beginning of summer we can easily access the first trough and lower beach at low tide because the summer currents are typically much milder “close to shore”. However, once the waterline moves further out into that second trough area these currents and surges aren’t quite as mild and that second trough is also typically deeper. To compound our difficulties - that portion of the lower beach that we can easily access is now covered in deep layers of soft fluffy sand and there is also less activity there to provide those heavier drops, which when dropped they tend to sink away quickly in the layers of soft fluff like a lead sinker in pudding. For the summer treasure hunter this seasonal transition creates quite the dilemma. “Timing is everything now.”

Now more then ever those monthly tides charts become an extremely important tool of the trade. Sure, you can hope for those strong whether systems that might never come or you can take what is certain and then plan your hunts according that information and those opportunities. It's’just all part of the summer dilemma being faced. Anyway, what you will see on those tide charts are monthly periods of "peak” high tides, or those periods that will be delivering an increased amount of water volume on the lower beach for several days. During these short but effective periods a couple of important things will take place. First, this extra water volume will usually create increased currents along the lower beach area, which in turn has the tendency to move a lot of sand around and create a lot of features like cuts, holes, runnels, rips, etc., all features that require “the removing of sand” from select areas of the lower beach. This removal of sand creates opportunities for use to access those deeper, heavier goodies that we can’t otherwise access. And second, these increased currents also have the tendency to force the throngs of water loving adult beach-goers back to the lower beach area where those features we spoke of are being created.

So the trick is this: find those newly formed features during this monthly peak high tide period and get in them at low tide and your finds should see a marked increase. The treasure is always there but knowing when and where it can be accessed is often the difference during those sandy hunts of summer.

Hope this helps a little.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I do when I get to a new beach I have never been on is watch the People on and in the water. I watch to see what kind of Bling they have on , I watch the water to see where the waves are crashing that show you where the sand Bars are and on if there is a troff. If this doesn't help, then you are on your own. Good luck HH

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what you're challenging on our area beaches in the summer. Keep in mind that these summer sands are soft and deep. Notice the huge mound of sand buildup near & above what was the winter low tide waterline and the amount of sand in what was the first winter trough. It's just really tough out there right now.
summer sands east coast.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting observation to keep in mind this summer: (click on image to enlarge)
monthly tide exchange effect.jpg

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of info to take in. But it will help you in the future. Great posts

OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great question and I am sure BS will chime in here. In JAX here I went today and looked N and S....went north and had a not so eventful day. Went N because we had a good erosion compared to the deposits we have been having. Now I wonder if I should have went S were I saw more depositors.

I am still learning to READ my beach. So with that I say learning my machine and learning to read the beach are my two concerns still!

Thanks, I agree.

OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Interesting Transition on the East Coast

As summer arrives and progresses, “the beach grows”. In the winter the beach is narrower, but as summer arrives and progresses the beach grows wider, meaning that the low tide waterline moves further out. Just how great of an effect is this? Consider the following:

Over a period of several weeks there will be so much summer sand pushed onto the beach that the first trough will get completely filled in, a trough that is anywhere from 4 to 6 feet deep and up to 50 feet wide in spots at low tide. Once this trough is filled in the second trough then becomes the first trough. This should give you an idea of just how far out the low tide waterline moves during this summer transition. It’s pretty amazing when we stop to consider just how much sand it takes to accomplish this.

But what is even more amazing is the effect this transition has on the throngs of beach-goers enjoying the beach and the effect it has on our beach hunting. As this waterline continues to move further out so does that swimming line. As the first trough continues to fill in the second trough gradually starts to become the favored play area for the adult population, or treasure-wearing crowd. So in essence, the treasure sources we seek also start to move further out at the same pace of this beach widening. And this is where the real problem begins to arise for us.

“Surf, Surges, & Current”….in the beginning of summer we can easily access the first trough and lower beach at low tide because the summer currents are typically much milder “close to shore”. However, once the waterline moves further out into that second trough area these currents and surges aren’t quite as mild and that second trough is also typically deeper. To compound our difficulties - that portion of the lower beach that we can easily access is now covered in deep layers of soft fluffy sand and there is also less activity there to provide those heavier drops, which when dropped they tend to sink away quickly in the layers of soft fluff like a lead sinker in pudding. For the summer treasure hunter this seasonal transition creates quite the dilemma. “Timing is everything now.”

Now more then ever those monthly tides charts become an extremely important tool of the trade. Sure, you can hope for those strong whether systems that might never come or you can take what is certain and then plan your hunts according that information and those opportunities. It's’just all part of the summer dilemma being faced. Anyway, what you will see on those tide charts are monthly periods of "peak” high tides, or those periods that will be delivering an increased amount of water volume on the lower beach for several days. During these short but effective periods a couple of important things will take place. First, this extra water volume will usually create increased currents along the lower beach area, which in turn has the tendency to move a lot of sand around and create a lot of features like cuts, holes, runnels, rips, etc., all features that require “the removing of sand” from select areas of the lower beach. This removal of sand creates opportunities for use to access those deeper, heavier goodies that we can’t otherwise access. And second, these increased currents also have the tendency to force the throngs of water loving adult beach-goers back to the lower beach area where those features we spoke of are being created.

So the trick is this: find those newly formed features during this monthly peak high tide period and get in them at low tide and your finds should see a marked increase. The treasure is always there but knowing when and where it can be accessed is often the difference during those sandy hunts of summer.

Hope this helps a little.

Wow! Thanks Scoop. I feel like I'm auditing a college class on hydrodynamics! Appreciate your help.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beginning of spring/summer the first trough is usually still in place and fairly deep, the water is also colder, so this is where most adults play because there is still plenty of depth and surf. Lots of items will be lost here.

As summer progresses this first trough begins to fill in, the water continues to get warmer, and the surf in this first trough begins to subside. Soon you start seeing beach-goers extending their beach play to the first sandbar and the edge of the second trough - where the waves are larger and "more darn fun." Lots of items will be lost here.

Now it's summer and here come those beloved low-low tide cycles, the sun is blazing hot and the water is inviting and warm, the first trough is nearly completely filled in and it has now become a kiddy-pool, the first bar and second trough is now the main adult beach, or what Treasure Hunter lovingly refers to as, "The second beach". "Lots" of items will be lost here during the summer.

Throughout all of this the sand continues to roll in, layering the upper beach, creating broad heaps above the waterline (which is why runnels form) and it creates deep fluffy bottoms in the troughs. Steady east winds only help to aid this summer effect.

Some things you will notice as this summer transition continues - where's all the shells? In the spring and early summer it was common to see larger shells scattered about on the beach and laying in the troughs, but where are they now? Shells are fairly light with large surface areas and most of them are easily pushed around in the currents....so where did they all go? What source of magic has apparently caused them all to disappear? The answer, "blame it on the deep sand." If you are a water hunter you were probably encountering a fair amount of lead fishing weights early in the season, and now? And what about all those crusty pennies and coins, where did they all go? And what about all those pull tabs? Good lord, look at all the people on the beach now that summer has arrived and you mean to tell me that none of them are losing anything? Sure, they're losing all kinds of stuff each and everyday, just as they have all summer long and will continue to do. The problem is the sand, all that deep, soft, fluffy sand. It has, in effect, swallowed up everything in sight, and it will just keep getting hungrier and hungrier as the summer season progresses.

Sand, for every inch of sand that gets removed from "any section" of beach your chances improve. Remove just a little sand and your chances improve just a tad bit. Remove a lot of sand and your chances greatly improve. So any factor, i.e., wind, higher tides, a change in the direction of current flow, etc., is important now. All that treasure, shells, fishing weights, coins, etc., they're all accumulated under that deep summer sand.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I will check out a beach before I go, like Ron and You....Do video of and take pics to look at later, and take note of the tides when vid or pics taken.

Where the people are in the water at HT is where the chances are best for this beach

OBN0133.jpg The beach I checked out this morning.......

vvv.jpg Be checking old pic against it....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had my choice of locations here in Florida it would either be on the Southern East Coast or somewhere on the West Coast. This middle and upper east coast of Florida is just too tiring with too much surf and current to deal with all the time. I had to walk away from two potential targets today due to the surges pushing me one way, the breakers pushing me another, and all the while fighting the fairly stiff changing currents at the edge of soft holes. Just couldn't maintain any kind of balance or footing. Water was only about lower chest deep but I just grew tired of the whole affair and said the heck with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I do when I get to a new beach I have never been on is watch the People on and in the water. I watch to see what kind of Bling they have on , I watch the water to see where the waves are crashing that show you where the sand Bars are and on if there is a troff. If this doesn't help, then you are on your own. Good luck HH

Ron nailed it... Take the time to read the beach, it has zones, where are the most people at, who are the people, some wear expensive jewelry some wear junk, how is the surf breaking, is it rough or calm, is there a current, how is the current moving in relation to the shore line, are the winds on shore or off shore, is it high tide or low tide when your there?

You can always just jump in, but your success rate will have a better chance if you take the tiime to read the beach....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had my choice of locations here in Florida it would either be on the Southern East Coast or somewhere on the West Coast. This middle and upper east coast of Florida is just too tiring with too much surf and current to deal with all the time. I had to walk away from two potential targets today due to the surges pushing me one way, the breakers pushing me another, and all the while fighting the fairly stiff changing currents at the edge of soft holes. Just couldn't maintain any kind of balance or footing. Water was only about lower chest deep but I just grew tired of the whole affair and said the heck with it.

LOL, been there and done that..... How many times your feet been over your head when you were hit by a wave, how many times you had a gread signal only to lose it because a wave moved you off target and you couldnt find it again...... All have happen to me more times than I care to admit.....

BBBBBBUUUUUTTTTTTTT this weekend is looking good.....:hello2:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, with all this sand, when I just want to do a little hunting and stay into some consistent targets I've been swinging the 12 x 15 SEF over the wet sand. Lot's of coverage, lots of depth, and it does allow you to reach more of those deeper targets that you'd otherwise pass right over. This is how I hunted today, stayed into some consistent targets and didn't have to fight the elements beyond that low tide waterline unless I got hot and needed to take a short roaming dip. At the end of the day I had some coins, a couple of fishing weights, and the usual bag of junk....but hey...at least the targets were fairly consistent and I didn't come home feeling like I just did six rounds with Rocky Balboa. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread