Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting into water detecting and I'm starting to find out that my trusty sand scoop just doesn't cut it when it comes to dealing with rocks-shale (river bed).
What do you guys/gals use, I was eying up the stealth S720i looks like it could "pick" its way through some rocks, but I don't want to pay $200 for a scoop that's no better than the one I have now

Upvote 0

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chip what scoop are you using now?

I have heard good things about the one you made mention of,
seems like the hunters who use that one are happy with it.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Stealth8 Classic and love it, a lot of people also like the S720i, many complain about the weight issue, I'm 60 and don't find it to be a problem, Chuck has the Classic on sale for $155 for the month of July..

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chip what scoop are you using now?

I have heard good things about the one you made mention of,
seems like the hunters who use that one are happy with it.

Not sure of the name brand, ill take a picture of it next time I'm home and post it. Its about 6" around, 8" deep with wire mesh, steel I guess some would say it is a soft sand scoop?

Anyone else want to chime in, I really would like some ideas pictures and places to order from

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used many different types of scoops and the screen type are for dry sand. I've found the Sunspot Stealth to be the best so far. I am 71 and would like a lighter weight scoop, but the alum ones don't hold up to the use. Stealth beach scoop

Join NRA.JPG

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different scoops for different environments. I own three, a Stealth Classic, a large RTG, and a an older custom galvanized scoop that I use to use when I was hunting gravel, clay, and rocky bottoms up north (I still use it in the river down here due to all the clay/shell pack).

ch Penn

Aug 29, 2012
I hope That I'm not steering to far of topic. I just read this post and it made me wonder what some of your best finds where in rivers,creeks and streams. I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have gold big enough to go after so I'm wondering if it's worth water detecting around here.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope That I'm not steering to far of topic. I just read this post and it made me wonder what some of your best finds where in rivers,creeks and streams. I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have gold big enough to go after so I'm wondering if it's worth water detecting around here.

Water detecting here in western pa is good if you can find a swimming hole or beach to hunt.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Pro/Stock Scoop with a Beach Brute handle modified to fit. Total weight is 6.85 lb. I am 73 and no problem handling it especiall if there is gold in it. That scoop drains super fast.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoops have come a long way recently. I also use the Pro/Scoop.... very much like the newer T-Rex by Ron. The 720 was a little long for my purposes. ive used the aluminum w/o the ss tip and for me they rolled and once sand started filling them .... targets were pushed out. Ive got a StavR M9on its way going to try it out.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread